Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I jus got my new knitting books from knit picks and I'm under excited!!!!!! I taught myself to knit about 10 or so years ago. And I knitted off Nd on since then. So these are really like refresher books. But the pattern book is actually foreign to me since I actually never did a project based on a pattern before. So I am reading and knitting (actually trying to at the same time lol) What are some books you all are reading that have you really excited about or really helping you?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Mine isn't a book per say, I signed up for The Perfect Fit Seamless Crazy Lace Cardigan and thrilled that might actually finish a sweater.

I have too many books to pic a fav. Maybe when I finish all my WIPs I'll knit thru Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Try Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English. Not really patterns, but excellent general instructions, in plain English as promised, and she's a bit funny, too. Along the same line, try Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience books: The Knit Stitch, The Purl Stitch, and, when you're ready, Color. She goes a step further and has lots of patterns. Then, for pure fun (well, and good instructions and patterns), get the two MasonDixon books by Ann Shane and Kay Gardiner. All of these are probably in your library for a start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
I bought this class, too, but I've done nothing with it so far! Can you say anything to encourage me to get started on this? There are so MANY things on my knitting to do list!

Virginia

uthatswho said:
Mine isn't a book per say, I signed up for The Perfect Fit Seamless Crazy Lace Cardigan and thrilled that might actually finish a sweater.

I have too many books to pic a fav. Maybe when I finish all my WIPs I'll knit thru Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
I ECHO Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. It is an interesting, entertaining, learning experience just to sit and read, but it's also a good reference book! It has a comprehensive index and you can find clear instructions for anything you need help with.

Virginia

MGT said:
Try Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English. Not really patterns, but excellent general instructions, in plain English as promised, and she's a bit funny, too. Along the same line, try Sally Melville's The Knitting Experience books: The Knit Stitch, The Purl Stitch, and, when you're ready, Color. She goes a step further and has lots of patterns. Then, for pure fun (well, and good instructions and patterns), get the two MasonDixon books by Ann Shane and Kay Gardiner. All of these are probably in your library for a start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
Go to the library and check to see what is available; go to your local bookstore and check their supply of knitting books and lastly, try your local yarn shops. These are the best sources before actual purchase. Then find a used bookstore and purchase what you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,398 Posts
Roxiknit said:
Hey guys I jus got my new knitting books from knit picks and I'm under excited!!!!!! I taught myself to knit about 10 or so years ago. And I knitted off Nd on since then. So these are really like refresher books. But the pattern book is actually foreign to me since I actually never did a project based on a pattern before. So I am reading and knitting (actually trying to at the same time lol) What are some books you all are reading that have you really excited about or really helping you?
I really like "Sweaters 101" by Cheryl Burnett. This is a republication and is full of information in knitting sweaters that really fit.
The thing I like best about it is that it has diagrams and measurements of sweaters with all types of sleeves and ranging in size from infants to adults .
I refer to this often because I knit for a homeless shelter. I make no effort to knit for a specific size while doing the knitting....I don't have to worry about gauge because whatever size I end up is gonna fit someone.When I measure the chest measurement I can determine the correct size and I can then complete the sweater with the corresponding sleeve length.
I remember thinking this was a pretty pricey book but it has been woth every penny!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom