Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help. I am making little knitted purses. One of them requires a tiny buttonhole. There are only 4 stitches to work with! For the buttonhole row, instructions say"K1, bind off 2, knit last stitch. Next row, "P1, cast on 2 st, p1-4 stitches." Next row, "Knit". I can't make this buttonhole for anything! How can you bind off two stitches without using up the first stitch you knitted or the last one you are supposed to knit! Can anyone help? I've been practicing with scrap yarn and watched a one row buttonhole on youtube, but still can't get it! Please help!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Okie, I just thre it on needles......and got a button hole......

What I'd like to see is the entire pattern - send it to me via forum or in a private message and I will work it '''all''' up and then get back to you. I'd like to see what was at the beginning and end of the pattern.

Donna Rae )))))))))

sparky60 said:
I hope someone can help. I am making little knitted purses. One of them requires a tiny buttonhole. There are only 4 stitches to work with! For the buttonhole row, instructions say"K1, bind off 2, knit last stitch. Next row, "P1, cast on 2 st, p1-4 stitches." Next row, "Knit". I can't make this buttonhole for anything! How can you bind off two stitches without using up the first stitch you knitted or the last one you are supposed to knit! Can anyone help? I've been practicing with scrap yarn and watched a one row buttonhole on youtube, but still can't get it! Please help!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi...
I'm no expert, so i tried this....and this is what I came up with.
You have 4 stitches....
knit three, pull 2nd over third, then knit stitch 4, and pull 3rd over 4th stitch. ( two stitches now on needle).
Purl row;
Purl one, increase two stitches in next stitch, purl those two "new" stitches, and purl last (4th) stitch. ( 4 stitches on needle).
Now, I don't know that that is right, but it accomplishes the task, to create a small buttonhole.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
sparky60

Try this:

K the 1st 3 sts; pass 2nd st over 3rd; K last st; pass previous st over last st. You will have a st, gap, st sequence.

Then: DO NOT increase two sts in the 1st st. This will also make a hole in your knitting. Instead, K1, back loop cable cast-on 2 sts, K1. Buttonhole made!

Back loop cast on: Loop yarn around needle so that the yarn working end is between the loop on the needle and the last st you worked. You might want to make sure the little "bump" will be on the inside of your work, too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, boy, you are FAST! this pattern was downloaded from the Redheart website and it's called Mini Key Ring purses. I am a beginning knitter and just couldn't figure out how to bind off two stitches and still have the number of stitches left that they said to have to work with. It's a little tab on the purse to close it and it's only four stitches. Thanks for the offer, I'm going to try the gal's suggestion below yours but still will probably need help! Sometimes, I am too literal when reading knitting directions, but there's a lot I still don't understand when following them! Thanks again, Jeannie

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K the 1st 3 sts; pass 2nd st over 3rd; K last st; pass previous st over last st. You will have a st, gap, st sequence.

Do I turn the work at this point?

Then: DO NOT increase two sts in the 1st st. This will also make a hole in your knitting. Instead, K1, back loop cable cast-on 2 sts, K1. Buttonhole made!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sparky60 said:
Got the first part with the st, gap, st.
Do I turn the work at this point?
going to have to figure out how to do the back loop cast on, I truly am a beginner!

thanks for your help, haven't got it yet, will keep trying! Jeannie

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( LOL! I'm new, too! LOL!!

I found the pattern and will work it up later and get back to you = it's so cue!! Remind me to get back to you, please.

Donna Rae )))))))))

sparky60 said:
Thanks, Donna, I am new to this forum and messing up in whom I am answering. The purses are on the RedHeart site...mini key ring purses. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
yes you will turn the work. keep trying. with only 4 sts you can work them several times without spending a lot of time ripping. if it becomes too frustrating, put it away for a day. sometimes sleeping on a problem makes it become clear, not to method relaxing you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry to be so dense. Having trouble with back loop cable cast on, but will keep working on that. I've got the first part with the st, gap, st just fine. After turning the work and knit 1, that's where I'm now having difficulty. This second step of the back loop cable cast on is being done on the purl side, right? Thanks again for being so patient with me!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Okie, I made the purse = #3 on the two page printed pattern....read on look for: ))))))))))

sparky60 said:
I hope someone can help. I am making little knitted purses. One of them requires a tiny buttonhole. There are only 4 stitches to work with! For the buttonhole row, instructions say"K1, bind off 2, knit last stitch. Next row, "P1, cast on 2 st, p1-4 stitches." Next row, "Knit".

I can't make this buttonhole for anything! How can you bind off two stitches without using up the first stitch you knitted or the last one you are supposed to knit! Can anyone help?

((((((((( As One BO loop will remain on the needle after BO, two, there's your missing stitch:

K1
K 1 (yes, another (2 sts on both sides now)
BO 1 (3 sts)
K 1
BO 1 (2 sts left & a half a button hole.)
..........TURN and leave the 8 remaing stitches unworked)
P1
M2 (3 sts now)
P1 (This is your 4th stitch)
Turn
K4, etc.....what ever the pattern says.

You're going vertically for this portion and leaving the remaining stitches (8) unworked until this button hole strap is made. End off.

You rejoin the yarn to the 8 remaining stitches and BO.

PRACTICE this on a test swatch and leave the actual in process purse alone for a bit, sleep on it perhaps, take aspirin......LOL!!

So, tell me what's up after trying this.

Good luck!!

Donna Rae ))))))))

I've been practicing with scrap yarn and watched a one row buttonhole on youtube, but still can't get it! Please help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
still having trouble on the purl, make 2 part after turning. I've got a buttonhole, but it looks terrible...something not joining right on the purl side. Not sure I'm doing the make 2 part right...are you making 2 while purling? Is the make 2 part using the horizontal stitch bar between two stitches or knitting into the front and back making a bar increase? see what I mean? I'm making myself crazy over this dumb little buttonhole. Gonna go take a nap now and come back later. Thanks so much for working this up! I know I'm making this more complicated than it has to be! Maybe it's because I'm a former special ed. teacher! lol

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
See (((((( )))))))))

sparky60 said:
still having trouble on the purl, make 2 part after turning.

I've got a buttonhole, but it looks terrible...((((((( I snugged them up tight when I knitted them. )))))))))

something not joining right on the purl side. Not sure I'm doing the make 2 part right...are you making 2 while purling? ((((((( There are several ways to M1 or 2 - this is the one I used (video)
......then make another one.........)))))))))

Is the make 2 part using the horizontal stitch bar between two stitches or knitting into the front and back making a bar increase? see what I mean? (((((((((Yes, I usedstand. See the video above. ))))))))))

I'm making myself crazy over this dumb little buttonhole. Gonna go take a nap now and come back later. Thanks so much for working this up! I know I'm making this more complicated than it has to be! Maybe it's because I'm a former special ed. teacher! lol(((((((((( Hey, I've got the answer:

Don't BO, Don't M2; USE a velcro patch! LOL!! Our son's ACU's (Army Combat Uniform) has them all over and far fewer buttons compared to my BDU/s (battle dress unifrom) when I was in the Army Reserves.

We call this skipping the BO/s and M2/s 'field expedient measures'! LOL!!

Seriously, though. I didn't have any trouble with the finger wrap method - just snug your work up a bit as you knit into the M2/s! @@

Donna Rae ))))))))))

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
sparky, You got the gap on the bind off row ok? Then go to knitpurlhunter.com She has a video on the back loop cast on. It's just two loops in between your two remaining sts worked on the purl row. The next row you just knit them like regular sts. the small amount of excess yarn will smooth out as you work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the velcro patch idea! I was just trying to teach myself something new. finally went to a yarn shop in a nearby town in Friendswood TX and once I saw how to do it, piece of cake! Guess I just needed to see it in person..thanks so much for helping me. Now if I can only remember it a month from now after I've set it aside for awhile!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( Yeah, velcro! LOL! I think that was my idea - hard to tell from this part of the thread. @@

Please tell me what you were doing wrong as you attempted the button hole and I think it was on the mini knit purse keychain. TY

Velcro, after many washings, etc., and on our son's ACU/s (Army combat uniform) does pick up fuzz, strings, etc., from the laundering process and so on. I just pick it out gently with a seam ripper should it be in a crucial area.

The ACU/s take 12 minutes + to iron/press the top alone! LOL!! I think they're easier to press than the older BDU style I wore and have far fewer buttons to avoid.

You probably know that velcro comes in a pre-determined widths over a longer length/strips, (cut your length), in pre-cut pieces, glueable, etc. I keep some on hand.

I once glued a square to our bed post and the other piece to the remote TV control as it was always being put in an odd place or falling out of sight.

LYS' are a great way to learn, share, teach, purchase, absorb what's to be had and so on; I love them. Ours is 36 miles away; One way.

I'm afraid to open a lessons class anywhere, though as in the past, I've been the teacher and don't learn anything new but to restate what I know from a teaching angle. Now, that's good, too as it makes one think outside the yarn label! LOL!!

Now, describe, please, what you weren't doing right on the button hole. TY!!

Donna Rae )))))))
quote=sparky60]Love the velcro patch idea! I was just trying to teach myself something new. finally went to a yarn shop in a nearby town in Friendswood TX and once I saw how to do it, piece of cake! Guess I just needed to see it in person..thanks so much for helping me. Now if I can only remember it a month from now after I've set it aside for awhile![/quote]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't understand that you cast on the extra stitches on the RIGHT needle with the working yarn right there, and that it's sort of a backwards loop on right in front of the first purl stitch. I kept trying to switch to the left side to do the casting on. That's it basically in a nutshell. I still am confused about buttonholes, one row vs other types, but at least I can do a little button hole on my little purses now. They still look a little "loosey goosey" on the sides, like they aren't very well reinforced but I know there's other ways to "wrap" the side stitches. I will just have to continue to practice and try stuff out. Thanks so much for your help, not easy to do when just writing about the process! Even with photos or video, I'm still a slow learner.... :lol:

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( Well, you got it! Bully for you. I just snugged up the working yarn on all as I was in the process and did think it looked....how did you word it..?...loosey goosey! LOL!! Donna Rae )))))))))))

sparky60 said:
I didn't understand that you cast on the extra stitches on the RIGHT needle with the working yarn right there, and that it's sort of a backwards loop on right in front of the first purl stitch. I kept trying to switch to the left side to do the casting on. That's it basically in a nutshell. I still am confused about buttonholes, one row vs other types, but at least I can do a little button hole on my little purses now. They still look a little "loosey goosey" on the sides, like they aren't very well reinforced but I know there's other ways to "wrap" the side stitches. I will just have to continue to practice and try stuff out. Thanks so much for your help, not easy to do when just writing about the process! Even with photos or video, I'm still a slow learner.... :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom