Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found directions to make magnetic strip: http://gettinitpegged.com/2008/01/29/tutorial-making-a-magnet-chart-marker/

Also found these on the net: http://www.etsy.com/listing/111667955/pink-roses-pattern-safe-magnetic-chart

And the KnitPicks link posted in an earlier topic: http://www.knitpicks.com/Chart+Keeper_AD80314.html (they don't ship to Australia).

I would love input from all those experienced chart readers as to which is the better method: Strips, or the KnitPicks style of chart reader. And does anyone know of a supplier in Australia who sells such items at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I had some magnetic ones that came free with some magazine,but found they did not work very well, so I now use a clipboard that has a measure attached, it slides down the side so easy to use, tho must say I am not a fan of charts.

·
Registered
9,227 Posts
I have the Knitpicks chart reader/keeper - I love it! It is very good quality. You might check ebay to see if anyone has one that can be sent to Australia

·
Registered
696 Posts
It depends on where you knit. If you have somewhere to stand up your pattern this makes more sense. Otherwise you have to keep picking up the chart to see it.

I have a magnetic board with long magnetics that I use for cross-stitch. It works well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the Knitpicks chart reader and love it. Depending on the size of the lace chart, they have different lengths of magnetic strips which is very helpful. The stand has two settings for making it more or less upright. I have used it for my lace knitting for the last year and been completely satisfied.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I glue the magnetic strip you buy on a roll to the back of a ruler, works great for measuring as well as holding the chart or pattern in place.

Carol J.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Carol J. said:
I glue the magnetic strip you buy on a roll to the back of a ruler, works great for measuring as well as holding the chart or pattern in place.

Carol J.
I have the magnetic strip on a roll from another project. Once you have it on the ruler, what do you place your pattern against? Do they make metal clip boards, etc? Is there anything that can stand up or lay flat?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
one very cheap way of keeping track of your place on charts and on patterns is to put the chart /pattern in a plastic sleeve and with a fine dry erase marker mark the rows as you finish them.
Remember if you haven't do much chart work before read the knit rows from right to left and the purl rows from left to right -unless you are knitting in the round -in that case all rows are read from right to left

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I mostly hold the chart on a clipboard. then I use post-it notes to keep track of the row. They keep their sticky for a long time and don't get knocked off or skewed like a magnet might. I have this folding stand:
http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=123-8285
from my cross stitching days and sometimes prop the clipboard on this or else hold the clipboard in my lap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
donmaur said:
one very cheap way of keeping track of your place on charts and on patterns is to put the chart /pattern in a plastic sleeve and with a fine dry erase marker mark the rows as you finish them.
Remember if you haven't do much chart work before read the knit rows from right to left and the purl rows from left to right -unless you are knitting in the round -in that case all rows are read from right to left
I also like the clear plastic sleeve. If you use Vis-a-Vis (wet erase) markers then you do not have to worry about smudging your marks as you handle the plastic sleeve and when you finish you just wipe with a wet paper towel to remove the marks.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Lillyhooch said:
Found directions to make magnetic strip: http://gettinitpegged.com/2008/01/29/tutorial-making-a-magnet-chart-marker/

Also found these on the net: http://www.etsy.com/listing/111667955/pink-roses-pattern-safe-magnetic-chart

And the KnitPicks link posted in an earlier topic: http://www.knitpicks.com/Chart+Keeper_AD80314.html (they don't ship to Australia).

I would love input from all those experienced chart readers as to which is the better method: Strips, or the KnitPicks style of chart reader. And does anyone know of a supplier in Australia who sells such items at a reasonable price?
first not an experienced knitter but am exp beader... use with beading patterns now
first one is just a strip of magnet covered with something...ez to do, magnet sheets come from craft stores or sites

the cute rose one is nothing more than a grosgrain ribbon doubled over a magnet strip with a loop on one end, also ex to make, ribbon, glue, magnet strip

third one is nice ez to carry around, at Joannes they have a metal board that stands up and you could use either 1 or 2 with it, there is also a magnetic strip thing that is plastic, the middle of it magnifies things, (I have one and love it) you can get different lengths .. think they are made by Lorann maybe not the correct spelling but should not be hard to find...I will use my beading strip thing for my knitting patterns. yes, would recommend some form of it.

If you are a crafty person and cannot find a place to order from, it should not be that hard to make one that folds with a snap or button to make it portable like the fancy one

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am a long time knitter who recently has started knitting from charts. I have found that using highliters in more than one color to set apart each row that is not the purl row and then using sticky notes below the row to help me follow the correct one is very useful. Then I also have note paper handy to keep track of repeats and rows. Just a suggestion from a cheap skate knitter.

·
Registered
157,827 Posts
For those of you who were old school typists, remember the paper holders with the sliding bars we used while typing? They also make good chart holders. I had several types but my favorite one had the support post on the back, a channel on the bottom front to hold a pencil and the sliding bar that went up and down to keep track of where you are typing.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I do cross stitch and have a large metal rectangle that sits in a clamp or on a stand. Charts are held on the chart holder by magnetic strips and the section or row where I am working is delineated by static cling plastic strips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom