Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, my favorite things to knit are socks and doll clothes. Yes, I guess I am living my second childhood. Since my girls are all too big for dolls, I have my own and she is finely dressed. Are there others out there that enjoy making doll clothes? I also have a twitter "dollmakershirlf". I am looking forward to sharing with you all.
Shirl

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like knitting for these dolls too. When I find a pattern I really like I tend to knit it over and over using different yarns. It's amazing how different they look. I redesigned a cardigan so that I can knit it in one piece to the armholes, finish each section separately, then pick up stitches around the armholes to knit the sleeves -- only shoulder seams! I use circular needles for everything, doing the Magic Loop whenever necessary, such as with the sleeves.

Has anyone ever noticed that, when you use circular needles for everything (like I do), you never lose one needle? ;<)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I love Molly, too! I have started the one-year collection of Mini American Girl dolls. This set of dolls (one issued every month - wearing their holiday dresses)even has a white wooden doll cabinet to order separately. The dolls are very tiny - has anyone tried knitting clothes for them?

I have been working on a knit wardrobe for an 18-inch "clone" I ordered from a knitting catalog. She was inexpensive and I can change her clothes - and muss up her hair - whenever I want to. I already braided her long brown hair - to keep it out of the way.

My outfits are usually knit from the top down and I always dress her feet-first. Just finished a "tricky" orange pleated skirt, with a white top attached to white panties and trimmed with orange pom-pom at neckline and sleeves.

I have a digital camera - can someone tell me how to download a photo to this forum. I, too, would like to share knitting projects with all of you. Need help with this !

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also like to knit doll clothes....did some American girls things am now trying my hand at Barbie clothes! I never had a daughter..just 2 sons....so i guess I missed out on all the girly things so am now going through my phase just for fun!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Welcome kaysue: You sound just like me.....no girls in the family. I have a son, a stepson, and 3 step-grandsons. When Barbie first came out (in the 1950's) I was buying Hot Wheels, Match Box cars, and G.I. Joe's. I didn't get into the Barbie excitement until I was named chairperson for our school carnival (when my son was in the first grade). All the women were talented with "crafty" things - except me. I had never made a reindeer head out of a pinecone, or an angle out of a styrofoam cone, or an adorable Christmas tree from empty spools from TP, or even sun bonnets made out of empty one-gallon plastic jugs in all colors. They were so talented! Out of desperation, I thumbed through a McCalls Needlework Magazine and found photos of some knitted Barbie clothes. I was "hooked" and immediately bought 4-5 inexpensive Barbie dolls (about $4 each at that time) and started making knitted outfits for the school "country store". Made a total of 67 different outfits and sold every one of them. It was so much fun I have been knitting Barbie outfits - designing my own patterns - for over 20 years.

For the past 8-10 years I have been working on a pattern book for "teen fashion dolls". Every time I sit down to knit an outfit, I have no idea what it will be - I like to hold a bunch of fingering yarns together in my hand, all different colors, and try to "picture" something in my head. When it pop out at me - I select one or two, sometimes three, yarns and start knitting - from the top down.

One of my favorite original creations is an all-in-one ski outfit, consisting of white ski sweater, attached to a red belt, attached to bright blue ski pants, which are attached to red ski boots, with a red, white and blue ski cap. The doll is always dressed feet-first, so the garment just slips on and is pulled up, with arms going into the sleeves, and then pulled up over the shoulders into a big turtleneck. No buttons, no snaps, no zippers, no Velco - yarn stretches to accommodate the doll's arms and shoulders, then snaps back into its original shape.

I have also designed a full-skirted skating costume, with panties attached, and ice skates too!

Don't give up on knitting Barbie clothes - it makes a wonderful hobby and also sells very well at church bazaars, school carnivals, county fairs, e-bay, swap meets, etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ladyfingers, have you seen the Barbie clothes at www.stickatillbarbie.se ? The directions are in several languages including English...even copies of the outfits worn by ABBA.
I have been knitting some outfits for a 5-year-old in my life and I have become addicted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many years ago I knitted for Barbie for my daughter. There was no internet, web, etc. Through Mary Maxum and Herrschners I found a few patterns and adapted them from there. If you find a good source, usually they show many different sized dool patterns. Good luck! I would offer to share mine, but threw them away years ago.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like doing this too, I really dislike having all the little pieces to keep up with. When I am knitting in a circle I use the two needle technique. This makes it possible to make a pair of socks at once.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ragdoll,
I can not thank you enough for the link to all those Barbie doll clothes. That site is totally unbelievable. I could knit from now until forever and not be able to do them all. What a wonderful find and to think they are all free. Yippee! Now if I could just fine the same sit for American girl dolls several female Grandchildren would go bananas! Jane

·
Registered
123 Posts
I haven't done so yet but to put a photo on this forum I would try to get my photo on the monitor and also the forum spot and then just drag it to the forum. Possibly some of the more experienced knitters have an answer for you. I will try it one of these days and look forward to instructions from others.

Happy knitting!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh My Goodness! What a gold mine! This is so great, I will never have to search the web for another Barbie patterns. Thank you so much for sharing this site.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Catharina, I never out grew my dolls either. When my girls played with dolls it gave me an excuse to make clothes and play with their dolls in secret. I have come out of the closet, at 61 yrs old, I guess I can plead senility :lol: . I love making doll clothes of all kinds. I found a site if you sew for 18 inch dolls, it is www.libertyjane.com an awesome pattern site. Shirl

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom