Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my goodness, this made me cry but it is such useful information for people who want to help with clothes for preemies and the ones who don't make it.
My friends daughter had twins that only lived for about an hour. They told me about the clothes that the nurses had dressed the babies in and how they had done the babies footprints for them. So now I am crying again...
They also explain why they won't accept wool. I had thought that acrylic would be worse but this explains it very well.

I will be asking our chidren's hospital if they will be accepting clothes if I make them (I do have a cat so they might not) and if they will, what they would want most.
I am going there on Wednesday with my friend for her pre-op visit, she has thyroid cancer and her surgery is on Feb 15th.

The article also explains why they won't accept wool. I had thought that acrylic would be worse but this explains it very well.
There are 4 sections to link to and the bottom one is the one I was reading. So here is the link:

http://crochetcabana.com/charity/index.htm

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
The nurse in my Dr's office started a group that makes burial items for those angels that don't make it home and the hospital and parents were so greatful. This link has so much good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A few contradiction there though. Its stated that no worsted weights should be used,then the pattern link for the tiny hat is made in ......worsted weight! Probably best to check with your local hospital before you start knitting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
reading the article broke my heart. i knitted many preemie hats with my guild & then my 1st granddaughter was born @ 2lb7 but survived only to have many problems now. a friend's only grandchild lived just a couple of hrs. the grief, guilt, horror the families go thru is truly helped by these handmade gifts. thank you to those who helped my family far away from me & to those who will help those to come. pay it forward or back but please continue to help.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
muppet said:
A few contradiction there though. Its stated that no worsted weights should be used,then the pattern link for the tiny hat is made in ......worsted weight! Probably best to check with your local hospital before you start knitting.
That is why I said I was going to ask what they needed. I doubt if I would have even considered worsted for such tiny babes except possibly for blankets, but probably not. I have so much lighter weight yarn, and lots of it is white, that I will keep busy in between my other WIP's.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Thank you from our family's "Preemies": One,[age 71]whose doctor said she would not live through her first night on her own behalf and her "Angel" who lived only three short months; and another [age 37] who could not breathe on his own for several weeks; and a sister [lived to be 50].

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yourmother306 said:
I was told to put the knitted items in the clothes dryer for a while to get the cat hair off.
Thanks for that, I know a lot of hair ends up in the trap when I wash the fleece blankets I have on my couch.
I would be washing whatever I make anyways so the dryer will get the hair - never occurred to me - great thanks again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SylviaC said:
yourmother306 said:
I was told to put the knitted items in the clothes dryer for a while to get the cat hair off.
Thanks for that, I know a lot of hair ends up in the trap when I wash the fleece blankets I have on my couch.
I would be washing whatever I make anyways so the dryer will get the hair - never occurred to me - great thanks again.
I knit for babies at our local hospital, not preemies but full term with problems, and the hospital has told me not to wash items as they have their own way of doing it and would wash them again even if I did wash them first. best to just ask the hospital which way they want them done :)
Cheers
Mardi

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be at the hospital on Wednesday with my friend so I will be asking about all that they require.
Thanks for all the advice ladies, but I think each hospital may have their own requirements. I will be using the dryer even if I don't wash - just in case of cat hair. I am careful when I knit for other people or babies and have a sheet over my legs. If Penny comes near, the knitting goes away and I will start on another WIP for me or my boys.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mardi said:
SylviaC said:
yourmother306 said:
I knit for babies at our local hospital, not preemies but full term with problems, and the hospital has told me not to wash items as they have their own way of doing it and would wash them again even if I did wash them first. best to just ask the hospital which way they want them done :)
Cheers
Mardi
This is what we do also; they have specific laundry soap they use, so it would be a waste of our time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom