Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Google for Carewear. That site has a list of hospitals in each state that accept knitted and crocheted items for babies. Contact person is also listed.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Good monring! I've posted elsewhere about the Newborns in Need organization. If you check out their website you can find a local chapter. They also provide very simple patterns for knit and crochet. It is so worth checking out. Many posters have responded so positively; makes my heart sing! Happy Needling! jb

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello,
Check out http://cache.lionbrand.com/charityConnection.html . You can search for charities in your area.

Also click on the "Search" link at the top of this page, search "knitting for charity". Many forum members have shared where they send their donations.

Charity Knitter :thumbup:

Becsmom said:
Hello - I would like to start knitting hats for premies and newborns for charity. Could someone help me to find out where to send them?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( I would craft for our local hospital but they quit birthing babies so I went looking and also asked my SIL who had a baby born with a host of ailments to include Down Syndrome. After asking her how I could support his cancer causes, etc., she said to support the Children's hospital near us as he spent tons of time there.

I like to keep it local, too so I contacted Iowa City's Children's hospital and they sent me their web site and you won't believe the hundreds of needs thaey have outside of crafted items.

To get a quick donation going, I donated online $$ immediatly, let my SIL know and then studied their needs for handcrafted items =:

Preemie Project and Bootie Brigade. Cute names!!

They said that everyone makes caps here in Iowa and wanted booties and snowflakes to give to parents who lose an infant while there. They put a gender ribbon on them for hangers.

As I didn't have time to do both, I ordered tatted snowflakes (as everyone makes crocheted ones) for them, accumulated a year's worth of items and sent them down with a delivery confirmation as those addresses and POC may change in a year.

For the booties, I made sockies in three sizes as babies come in all sizes. I don't wash the items before shipping but include 'Dreft' baby detergent so they know they need to be cleaned; Sanitary items are needed in the NICU.

So if you're local hospital births babies, contact them or go to a larger but still fairly local one if you like to keep it local to you versus going to an unknown orgainization out of state.

You can surf for their website and make notes on who to send to, who to question for more specifics, etc.

Ours says this, also and it's crucial, IMHO:

Burial clothes for a preemie are hard to find. If you make complete outfits, perhaps you'd enjoy providing them with a most appreciated and needed item. Parents at IC's hospital go there, too as it's low cost compared to private ones. They have little means and are also facing tremendous hospital costs.

For those who don't craft, their 'need' list was a mile long to include microwave food for the parents who may stay overnight. Preemie items of all kinds were needed; Blankies, onsies, all sizes, too as well as non-crafted, used but in good condition (no stains) other baby items such as receiving blankets.

Receiving blankets can be made out of flannel then crochet around the edge or leave it plain; They need them badly. They need all things to include stamps, envies and so on. I couldn't believe what all they needed, actually.

Good luck!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~
Becsmom said:
Hello - I would like to start knitting hats for premies and newborns for charity. Could someone help me to find out where to send them?

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
Wonderful posting, Donna! Yes, the needs out there are so great and sometimes it only takes a little bit to help out. You don't have to be rich in money, just rich in heart. Thanks for your posting! jb

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
One of the "forgotten" groups are battered women and children. Most cities have a referral place that they send women to...with children and infants in tow. The majority of these women, children and infants, flee with little more than what they are wearing. Call your local police department's "non emergency" number..someone there can put you in touch with the right agency.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I belong to a local group called Hearts and
crafts. we meet weekly , we support th neo natal unit and the cancer center of our local hospital that has several sites itself. We also send heavier blankets etc to a location in northern fl. we are near ft lauderdale. The homeless shelter gets the rest. I am sure you can find local places that need donations near you. Just yesterday we received a few large boxes filled with yarn, and fabric. everyone dove in and took what they knew they could use. Now the cancer center will get pillows as well as eyelash hats, the homeless will get a many colored square afghan or 3, and the babies will get booties, hats and blankies all matchy matchy. i come home home each week really fullfilled from my 3 hours spent with 30 women who all exchange their talents and resources with each other while 'soing good,' as fingers fly as we chat!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check with your local hospital. Our knitting group just presented our local hospital with purple baby hats for all the newborns to wear home during the month of April. April is PREVENT CHILD ABUSE MONTH. This program with the newborns is also called THE PERIOD OF PURPLE CRYING.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Becsmom said:
My niece is doing a community project and is collecting hats for premies .

Hats can be sent to:
Sara James
c/o Bea Newns
1540 Ronan Avenue
Wilmington, CA 90744

·
Registered
281 Posts
God bless all you wonderful women who knit and crochet or sew for babies you may never see nor hold, but who have so much love and concern for those little ones. Nothing in this world is so good and pure as motherly love for children of all sizes and circumstances. Bless you all to have the tools you need to do the work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ladies, I use all my leftovers for charities, Warm up America, Caps for Kids, and my local hospitals as well as our local homeless shelters.

One thing I've not seen is dear to me. One of my sons is in law enforcement so I do small afghans (about 36" long and 26" wide) for our patrol officers to have in their trunks. They come in so handy when there's an accident to be used to comfort small children or adults.

Some of you might be interested in checking out you local police force to see if they're interested.

Oh, I'm from LA. will have to update myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your local hospitals and crisis nurseries. I'm sure they could help and you could deliver them without the expense of postage.

Check out your local social services to see if they have any needs. Likewise,churches in your area. Esp. Salvation Army. Also homeless shelters. Little children also need warm hats.
Check out websites of major yarn companies, sometimes they maintain information on the subject. Lion Brand Yarn has a data base of charities on their website.

I'm afraid it does take quite a bit of research.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
frajo110 said:
Ladies, I use all my leftovers for charities, Warm up America, Caps for Kids, and my local hospitals as well as our local homeless shelters.

One thing I've not seen is dear to me. One of my sons is in law enforcement so I do small afghans (about 36" long and 26" wide) for our patrol officers to have in their trunks. They come in so handy when there's an accident to be used to comfort small children or adults.

Some of you might be interested in checking out you local police force to see if they're interested.

Oh, I'm from LA. will have to update myself.
What a great idea, especially for a small child that has been in an accident, to comfort them by wrapping them in a warm blanket. I hadn't heard of that. I've heard of making teddy bears or dressing store-bought ones, though, and having the police officers carry them in their patrol cars.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom