Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, someone posted a knitting "formula" for changing the yarn, stitches, etc., for different sized yarns. I was sure I copied it down, but then now I can't find it....

That is how most of my days go now, I spend half of the time looking for things I put away so I wouldn't forget where they were!

thanks in advance :roll:

· Registered
12,289 Posts
There is no true formula that i know of. Do you maybe mean
2 strands lace wieght= fingering
2 fingering= sport
3 sport= DK
3 or 4 sport =worsted
2 worsted = bulky

BUT this is always a very general guide. Swatching, and more swatching is the only and best way of changing yarns.

· Registered
238 Posts
I'm in Colorado (middle of the country) and I too am in the same position. When we moved here in 2006, I worked a pattern from Barbara Walker's first Treasury of Knitting. Since that time I cannot find the book. I refuse to buy another copy so rely on borrowing it from the library. :cry:

· Registered
12,289 Posts
dannyjack said:
https://archive.org/details/knittin.../archive.org/details/knittingcalculat1922tomp

If you want a link to work drop that 's' in https. and the brackets. it is easy if you right click on the url, copy, then right click to paste.

· Registered
2,069 Posts
coknitter960 said:
I'm in Colorado (middle of the country) and I too am in the same position. When we moved here in 2006, I worked a pattern from Barbara Walker's first Treasury of Knitting. Since that time I cannot find the book. I refuse to buy another copy so rely on borrowing it from the library. :cry:
So pleased to know I'm not the only one whose things "disappear".

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The post was such that if the pattern called for sport weight yarn call it x and you wanted to use worsted y it would convert the number of stitches and needle size to make the pattern. It didn't look too complicated as I am not a Math Wizard, and thought it was a great idea. I was sure I saw it on this site, but maybe I have forgotten that too. It was in the past 6 months though. Thanks for all the feedback. Some of my old knitting books have the same sweaters with the patterns in sport, worsted or even chunky yarn; i.e., if you are using sport cast on 20, same sweater in worsted 15, or the like and they had figured it all out.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess what I found looking for something else. Just like when you lose something and buy another, you find the original....
darlene-nova scotia said:
when you check your tension with yarn do this simple conversion
#of stitches [A]=inches[given for the bulky wool]
'x' # of unknown stitches[C]= inches [ given for worsted wool][D]

#of bulky wool x[mulitply]=?. ?divide by inches of bulky wool, answer is the number of stitches needed for worsted wool.
OR
A x D=?divided byB=C unknown # of stitches for worsted wool.
and if you can figure out what this equation is, it will work for you. I have used this for years

· Registered
953 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean about changing yarns, but some time ago there was a post by Knitting Fiend about how to calculate the gauge of two strands held together based on the gauge of one. Basically, you multiply the gauge of one strand by 70 percent and that should give you the gauge of two strands of the same yarn held together. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/189

If you mean changing a pattern that calls for worsted weight yarn when you want to use dk weight yarn, I know of no formula other than just doing a gauge swatch and converting the pattern to the new gauge. If someone has a formula for this, I'd be very interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom