Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a stupid question but I want to knit twisters/fingerless mitts. Started yesterday but can't connect stitches on circular needle. Do these have to be done on done? Went to youtube and understand what she's demoing but something is wrong. Won't work. Please help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
NOT a stupid question - you are asking so you can learn, and learning is never stupid.

Unless you have a very short circular needle (9-12 inches) which can be difficult to handle, you are better off to 1. use a set of double-pointed needles, or 2. find a pattern that lets you knit the mitts flat and sew them up. 3. Some knitters are fond of the 'magic loop' method that involves using two circular needles. I am sure other will tell you what method seems best to them - I learned to knit mittens, socks, sleeves etc on double-pointed needles and love them.

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
Actually Anne the magic loop involves using one circular needle (two circulars can be used but that is called working with two circulars).
Under this post is a link to the workshops run here on KP. One of them is my workshop on magic loop. If you look at this it may help you with joining (especially if you doing it with magic loop).
But a couple of ideas- you could knit a couple of rows and then join it.
If you are trying to knit them on a circular that has a longer length than the diameter of the mittens it won't work unless you use the magic loop -and this needs a longer cable than you may be using. The diameter needs to be less than the length of the circulars so that it can fit around the needle-or using the magic of magic loop.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using a 24" cable. Looked short but not short enough I think. Will check out diameter/ length. Will also try knitting a few rows. Tried magic loop but had big space between two sides so trigger it:( Thanks again!

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
nancy11442 said:
I was using a 24" cable. Looked short but not short enough I think. Will check out diameter/ length. Will also try knitting a few rows. Tried magic loop but had big space between two sides so trigger it:( Thanks again!
Sorry but it won't work! Its too long for simply kniting round and its too short to learn magic loop (I have occasionally used them this short but it is not easy and I do it only as a last resort. BUt no way would I recommend learning that way). If you have a longer needle go to the workshop and try again- one of the patterns there is for a fingerless mitten- but it is on small needles and fingering weight yarn for those planning on doing the sock workshop afterwards. But also a hat on heavier weight yarn.
Once you can use either magic loop or double pointers it won't matter how small a diameter you need to knit as these can both be used for the smallest diameter you may want.
Edit- or two circulars- if you have two the same size even if different lengths you can also do the smallest diameters this way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please don't ever feel that your questions are stupid. I am so grateful for these forums, I have picked up knitting again after many years and find that I am loving it once again because when I have a question I can find an answer on line some place. I love the Knit Picks tutorials and the Craftsy classes and all of the other helpful blogs. There are also always people here willing to help and on Ravelry so the resources abound. Have fun learning and enjoy your knitting!!! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What you say is so true!! I hardly get the question written and hit send and there's some dear person with an answer!! I am amazed at how quick and thorough these ladies/gentlemen are. Thanks for your kind words too!!

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Anne S said:
NOT a stupid question - you are asking so you can learn, and learning is never stupid.

Unless you have a very short circular needle (9-12 inches) which can be difficult to handle, you are better off to 1. use a set of double-pointed needles, or 2. find a pattern that lets you knit the mitts flat and sew them up. 3. Some knitters are fond of the 'magic loop' method that involves using two circular needles. I am sure other will tell you what method seems best to them - I learned to knit mittens, socks, sleeves etc on double-pointed needles and love them.
Magic loop can also be done on 1 circular needle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom