Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting a sweater in the round for my granddaughter but she is quite short and I'm not sure where to start the sleeves. The sweater width I am making is a size 12 however she is the height of short 10 year old. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Maybe Mom could measure the arm length for you. Or maybe you have a recent picture of her standing, where you could see how far her arms come below her waist. Otherwise I would make them the size the pattern says for the size you are making, and make the cuffs so you can roll up a little if needed.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Savta5 said:
I'm knitting a sweater in the round for my granddaughter but she is quite short and I'm not sure where to start the sleeves. The sweater width I am making is a size 12 however she is the height of short 10 year old. Any suggestions?
I have asked my DIL to lay the kids on freezer paper and draw around them each year in the fall. This gives me new sizes for Christmas knitting and sewing... I ask her to draw their complete body, and then mark the 'body' with basic lines, waist, shoulder, hip, leg length, etc..... I have had them for 3 years and it is a real help for sweaters, t-shirts, pants/shorts, etc.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Savta, U R a GENIUS! Your suggestion was a real forehead-slapper! :thumbup:
deemail said:
I have asked my DIL to lay the kids on freezer paper and draw around them each year in the fall. This gives me new sizes for Christmas knitting and sewing... I ask her to draw their complete body, and then mark the 'body' with basic lines, waist, shoulder, hip, leg length, etc..... I have had them for 3 years and it is a real help for sweaters, t-shirts, pants/shorts, etc.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
You could send a written list of measurements you need to their parent, an have them measure grandchild, put in the measurements, and send it back to you.

I'm lucky..my grandchildren live right in the area. So I get to measure them every 4 months for upcoming projects as needed. I take all their measures from head to toe, width span, every measurement that I might need to make anything for them, and draw their hands & feet on paper. Staple it together and I have my projects sizes for the next few months. I always make everything a little larger to get extra wear from it. Unless of course it is something specifically worn for an immediate use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom