Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 82-year-old dad had open heart surgery. 20 hours of sitting in one waiting room after another...was I grateful for my knitting! I knew I would be too distracted to read, plus we had lots of folks waiting with us. Knitting was a great way to use some nervous energy and keep my hands busy! Finished 2 washclothes (nothing too taxing - I didn't want to have to count much or worry about mistakes) for gifts and found 3 more patterns on line while surfing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add..he's doing great! Already sitting up and had some food. He received a beautiful prayer shawl from a friend at church & it has inspired me to make one and "pay it forward."

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do the same thing. What ever Doctor office. I have Chemo treatment every 3 weeks. I keeps me from going crazy on waitng on my appointments and treatments. Last year I found a mouse pattern. I made of 100 of them. I was to chochet tail, but I didn't like the look so I sat down and braided with line knitting machine yarn 3 strands of white, red, and green to make them for Christmas gift for the cancer center and cancer center at the hospital. Everyone that got one was thrilled.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joanne 46, I'm sure everyone appreciated your thougtfulness and I know it was a comfort for you, as well, as you paid it forward. It really does help..."busy hands, calm heart" as my grandma used to say. When I make my prayer shawl, I will keep you in my thoughts for a quick and full recovery. My family has been touched by cancer too many times.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm glad your dad is doing fine. I will say a lot of prayers for him. My aunt had open heart surgery last July & she is doing really well & has even lost some weight. Knitting & crochet always help keep us busy so we don't worry in times like these.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad everything went well. Hope he continues to recover quickly.

I always have dishcloths on needles in my purse. /whenever I have to wait I have something simple to work on. I gave a number of family members who love getting new ones every year as an extra Christmas gift.

·
Registered
569 Posts
gshowman said:
Yesterday my 82-year-old dad had open heart surgery. 20 hours of sitting in one waiting room after another...was I grateful for my knitting! I knew I would be too distracted to read, plus we had lots of folks waiting with us. Knitting was a great way to use some nervous energy and keep my hands busy! Finished 2 washclothes (nothing too taxing - I didn't want to have to count much or worry about mistakes) for gifts and found 3 more patterns on line while surfing.
I am so happy to hear that your father is doing ok. I am with you about the knitting while waiting. I keep several small projects started and in knitting bags just for that reason. Also, have you noticed that knitting draws people into conversations? I've spent alot of time in ICU waiting rooms and have made lifetime long friends from complete strangers. I think I have more fun knitting for others than I do for myself. My prayers are with you and your family.Wanda/Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have become much more aware of the prayer shawl ministry.

They are also good for chemo patients to keep warm during chemo or just as a reminder that someone is thinking about them!

There are plenty of free patterns on line. Try Ravelry.com.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am so glad to read your father is doing well. We used to joke about my mother and grandmother and their "busy bags". Neither were knitters but always had crochet and/or tatting projects in hand when the went anywhere. I find myself do the same thing now.
Waiting rooms can be the pits and hospital waiting rooms are the worst. I've found that the knitting/crocheting I work on while waiting is a great topic starter and meet and talk with lots of people I otherwise would not have the opportunity to meet. While waiting with my husband when he had chemo I made 2+ afghans and the nurses were always anxious to see how much I had gotten done or what I was currently working on. My yarn work has definitely saved my sanity over the years. Good luck and good health to you and yours.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
We need to remember to pray for each other daily I will pray for you and yours.I knit or crochet while I wait anywhere,I keep yarn and needles in my car I have been crocheting Easter bunny pins every day while I wait at the bus stop for the boys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't had anybody ill but have a husband, son and grandson involved in baseball. I have a hard time just sitting so I knit. I usually do something small that doesn't need to be watched (no pattern just knit or purl). Right now I am making big squares for afghans to give to the Linus Project and using all my left over yarns. I think it will be a great way to make room for new yarn.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I care for my Mom who had 2 knee surgeries last year. Lots of knitting waiting on appointments, tests, hospital waiting room....really calming not only to me but to the many who ask about the knitting. The volunteer in the hospital waiting room gave me the contact info for the hospital guild - they need baby items and chemo items so will be contacting them this summer to get started.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom