Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am a new beginner to knitting. I've come across a pattern which reads the following: K4, Knit into first yo, purl into seond yo .... My question is how do you knit into first yo? Do you yo over first and then knit?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( No, you don't YO to knit into a knit YO or you'll add another stitch. Leave your yarn in the K position unless directed otherwise.

Just knitting into any stitch won't increase your stitches, so just leave your yarn in the knit position (to the back........unless.......LOL!!

I'm thinking you're an English thrower or continental knitter.

The eatern continental method keeps the yarn in back for both the knit and purl stitches and NOT moving the yarn from front of the work or to the back of the work again. The knit stitch was easy but the purl was a twisted sister! LOL!!

That was a fun video to watch. I also practiced this method. They showed it only in the K & P and not an advanced stitch.

If I can help you more, send me a private message, please.
~~~~~~~
vjunior said:
Hi Everyone,

I am a new beginner to knitting. I've come across a pattern which reads the following: K4, Knit into first yo, purl into seond yo .... My question is how do you knit into first yo? Do you yo over first and then knit?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I'm new to knitting and have learned that a YO is typically used to increase a stitch. It is also used to create a gap, as in Drop Garter Stitch Pattern, where you let the YO fall off the needle in the next row.
It depends on the pattern you are following as to what the YO is going to create. If it says to knit or purl into the YO, do that as if it were a regular stitch, from the left for knit, from the right to Purl.
Hope this helps.
Lois

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom