Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find out if anyone else has heard of or seen these knitting terms.
Knitting Belt - Whisk - Steeks There was a photo of the belt it was rubber and look like a mis-shaped small mask with holes in it and straps and buckle. Can't imagine what it could have been used for.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Principles of Knitting by June Hiatt describes the knitting belt or sheath in great detail. It is said that the belt or sheath frees the knitter from a seated position. British women knitted as they walked or went about their chores. Could the whisk be another name for the sheath or belt?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I searched ravelry and have come up the an answer. The whisk refers to the portion of the belt or sheath where you stick or put the needles in whilst knitting. I had thought as much. If you have access to ravelry, just search for knitting whisk in the search option.

Elizabeth Zimmerman loved the steek. She knitted in the round and was not overly fond of the purl stitch.

·
Registered
944 Posts
one handed knitting,%). I'm only joking a little it was used to support heavy knitting when the woman was standing. The blunt end of the left hand needle was put in to one of the holes on the hip so the weight was supported by the body not the arm. It was developed at the time stockings were hand knitted by out workers . It meant the women could actually do some house work or just stand outside and gossip with the neighbours who were alll probably out workers too. Oh and out worker is an employee who works at home in my dialect.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hi- a similar thing is used in Shetland. It allows you to knit with one hand while holding the baby with the other arm, as it - the belt/pouch holds one of the needles. I've seen it being used. AMAZING! I think that's what you mean.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I have a knitting belt bought in the Shetlands.You need long knitting needles without knobs at the end to stick in to the holes in the pad.I seldom use it ; i just tuck the right hand needle into the waistband of my jeansI think it is in the North of England that women used a wooden or bone gadget tucked into a waistband to hold the needle.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
My goodness. Learned 3 new things from one thread!. Out worker, we would say "stay at home" , knit belt- can't imagine walking and knitting, without tripping on something. And a whisk here is a small hand broom like a miniature corn broom.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ladies I am overwhelmed with the number of replys I received and at the speed at which they came. I am going to print them out so that I can take my time and read them. When I saw these in a magazine I thought they are antiques no one will have any idea what they are. Thank you for proving me wrong. Not that I think you are antiques just knowledgable knitter. Love to all. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
My gran and my mother used knitting belts. We are all from the north east of Scotland. My gran knitted endless numbers of fisherman's ganseys on long dpns. The patterns were in her head. I never saw her with a pattern. She wore the belt all day long and if she sat down for anything she lifted her knitting. I've got my mother's belt but I don't use it

·
Registered
611 Posts
I once spent some time in the mountains of the former Yugoslavia where it was/is a common sight to see the granny women jouncing along on the back of a donkey, knitting away as if she were in a comfy chair. Sometimes they were spinning instead of knitting. When the donkey was laden with an enormous pile of sticks gathered for fires, the grannies would walk beside the donkey, knitting or spinning. I never noticed a belt or other device. They were amazing.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Where but on KP would you EVER learn such things?
Walk and Knit at the SAME TIME? I'd probably fall and break something, wlak into a tree or post, get hit by a car, or trip and poke a ndl thru someplace and have to have tetanus shots!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dsynr said:
Where but on KP would you EVER learn such things?
Walk and Knit at the SAME TIME? I'd probably fall and break something, wlak into a tree or post, get hit by a car, or trip and poke a ndl thru someplace and have to have tetanus shots!
LOL -- Walking and knitting/spinning is a lot more productive than the non-uncommon sight here of someone walking and texting or worse, texting and driving. I hope knitters have better sense than knitting while driving (except while at stop lights).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom