Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
I have used hand knit patterns on both my standard and chunky metal bed knitting machines. Providing that the swatch that is knitted on the knitting machine matches the swatch in the pattern you should have no problems. Having said this, I wouldn't buy a machine with the idea of using hand knit patterns. Buy a machine that will do all that you want it to do, a machine is far more expensive than a paper pattern. There are so many knitting machine patterns available and other ways of designing a garment that I would suggest that you forget the original idea of why you thought of having a machine. Research machines to see which make/model will do what you want.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Different knitting machines use different weights/thicknesses of yarns. Here is a good place to start to look for the machine which will match the yarn size you want to use for the handknitting patterns on a machine. It is in the weights of American yarns and American sized handknitting needles. Here is the site:
http://www.yarn-store.com/different-yarns-for-different-knitting-machines.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
A bond or a chunky knitting machine would be better if you like the hand knit feel but you can not do garter stitch or moss stitch etc. on a knitting machine but there are lots of other techniques you can experiment with but be warned garments knit up so quickly on a knitting machine it can become very addictive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom