Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
have several machines....right now, one has a multicolored scarf started for a teenager who requested it......super skinny and super long.....bulky has christmas stocking half done......brother 864 has a sampler i'm doing for a friend so she has something to follow while she learns.....and the other half dozen machines are folded into their little cases, while i knit every evening by hand....just more comfy, sitting in my recliner....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an Ultimate Knitting Machine, still in the box, waiting to get my "play" area ready, which should be in another week or two. I need ROOM!

Can anyone tell me what the maximum dimensions are, in inches, that can be done on this machine, without extenders?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It would depend on the type of yarn you use and the keyplate you use.

I have 2 1/2 bonds set up, I am a xxxxl and I need 150 stitches using worsted weight yarn to make myself a sweater. I know that is general but it may help. If you tell my the type of yarn and keyplate you want to you I will calculate it for you

Claire said:
I have an Ultimate Knitting Machine, still in the box, waiting to get my "play" area ready, which should be in another week or two. I need ROOM!

Can anyone tell me what the maximum dimensions are, in inches, that can be done on this machine, without extenders?

·
Registered
453 Posts
my machine is still in the box, have no idea how to respond about keyplates.

I guess I am just curious as to whether I will be able to do a baby blanket on it, for example, 40" x 40". Or a throw that is a bit larger.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
for claire....don't forget that you can make the problem of width disappear with style choices... one of my favorite sweaters (i am a xxl) i made with the widest section i could for my machine for both front and back, stopping my pattern at one side of the neckhole....then i BEGAN at that point, made FROM the neck to the other shoulder (thereby increasing the width available to me) and put a large cable on the side that would join the neck... now my sweater is wide enough for me (almost 10 inches wider than my machine) and i have a lovely cable that goes from the side of the neck down to the hem on both front and back, and disguises the joining seam... after you get used to your machine you will think of a dozen ways to widen your fabric... it knits so quickly that just making another piece with the same number of rows (you will get used to making notes about tension, yarn, row counter settings, etc.) and then joining them by hand in an evening of tv watching... baby blankets? couldn't be easier... pastel square for 2/3 of the width (of finished blanket), then another pastel square that would be 1/3 of width....repeat with 2 other pastel for the bottom half so that you have 4 squares, 2 large, and 2 small.....now set up your knitting machine to knit 2 1/2 inches of the 5th pastel color.....knit a long ribbon of that color and then join each of the squares crossways and then vertically....cute, simple, and as generous in size as you like...

I have used plain flat knitted 'ribbons' like above, (also stripe the ribbon or do the same number of rows, color after color to achieve a checked ribbon), cables (either knitted onto one piece or done separately and then sewn to both pieces), narrow pieces of hand manipulated lace....your imagination is your only limitation. I have found that being forced into figuring out 'something that works' is often the reason for a really cute detail that you wouldn't have bothered with if you hadn't had to.

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Manipulated-Stitches-Machine-Knitters-Guagliumi/dp/143921980X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298665877&sr=1-1

here is a link to a book that i use all the time, even with my more 'advanced' knitting machines...i started with a plastic bed machine that did not have punchcard capability so i found this and it's wonderful and so simple to add details to the items made on our simplest machines. all details/stitches are added by manipulation of your hand tools that come with your machine and can be done with no extra accessories.

when checking for the book, i noticed that the author has another out and just to show you how valuable i really think the first one was, i will be buying the second book right away...good luck, i loved my first machine and i know you will enjoy yours when the box gets open...by the way, don't overlook sewing as an adjunct to your machine....for many years after beginning to machine knit, i would hand knit my ribs (the machines make a 'faux' rib, but it doesn't stretch), and then hang the rib on the needles of the machine (basic move, you will do it soon) and then knit straight 'yardage'....then i block, use my t-shirt pattern (laying the pattern hemline at the rib) to cut out front, back, and sleeves from 4 separate pieces of knitting and then sew/serge together....works great and i can do a yard of fabric in a few minutes if the rib is already done...

·
Registered
222 Posts
I open the door and my Brother machine has that come hither look. Been doing hand knitting but I need to share my attention with my machine. Soon I will give it a nice warm cleaning/oil love and then I will play with it.
Lindade

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Claire said:
my machine is still in the box, have no idea how to respond about keyplates.

I guess I am just curious as to whether I will be able to do a baby blanket on it, for example, 40" x 40". Or a throw that is a bit larger.

Thanks!
If you want to do a 40 in by 40 in blanket, and you use keyplate 4, and your gauge is 20 st by 26 st for a 4 inch swatch, you will need 200 needles,

to solve the amount of needle, You can do it in panels, there are several methods to hook them together, the bond book has a real nice join. If you email me I will send you the patterns if you have the bond book look on page 9 thru 14, it shows a couple ways to join strips.

If you need videos there are several on you tube

mine is as follows:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clogden21

another excellent one is
http://www.youtube.com/user/clogden21#p/a/f/0/c6qNpsz8QTc

Another real good one

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you want to do a round one I can send you a pattern, It will look similar to these photos.
Claire said:

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have 3 machines, standard gauge w/ribber, LK 150, and extended USM. I love them all! I've been working with the standard lately because I bought a boatload of 2/20 yarn at a thrift store and need to use it. Here's a pic of something I just finished on the standard gauge. I made them different because I read somewhere a couple weeks ago that a new trend was mismatched, sorta, socks. LOL I saw something today on Berrocco's yarn site with a sweater that had one side of a cardigan finished one way and the other side finished a different way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I found mine on ebay for about $40.00 including shipping, it was not new but it had everything.

just read the description make sure it has everything. If you want the list I can send it to you

Txstitcher said:
I do not have a machine. But have always been interested in trying one. Don't have the money to get one right now, to learn or play with one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sometimes Ebay does have some great prices. I actually haven't look on there in awhile. Thanks
clogden21 said:
I found mine on ebay for about $40.00 including shipping, it was not new but it had everything.

just read the description make sure it has everything. If you want the list I can send it to you

Txstitcher said:
I do not have a machine. But have always been interested in trying one. Don't have the money to get one right now, to learn or play with one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom