Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the round loom knitting machines are like? Have you used one and are they any faster than hand knitting. I have a large stash of wool, lots of gifts to make and I am 86. I used to own a lovely knitting machine, but lost my first husband to cancer and had to earn a living For my sons and I. No time to knit. I gave the machine away and regretted it ever since. I am quite a fast knitter but my second husband is disabled and needs lots of caring. As I have Paget's disease of the bone, arthritis and heart failure, I am sometimes too tired to knit so want to make the process a bit speedier. I am sure someone out there can help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just purchased the loops & threads made just for micheals and returned it two days later! I made a circular tube and it ran ok. It had some glitches in the gears I heard as I used it. Then tried the panel setting. Again there was a glitch. Finally it just stopped and the handle would turn but not the work. I will also mention the tension was only one notch. In order to even remove the work I had to unscrew it completely and disassemble it. The inner and handle gears are made of a soft plastic and the inner gears were completely crumbled in one spot. Very sad! It is listed for $79.99 and I used my 55% coupon. It's also made in china and that mad me mad too! I'm done with china crap. Made in the USA only from now on!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
hey nan murray- i have both the large addi and small addi turbo knitting machines and love them- you can make a hat in 30 minutes--you can also make scarves and legwarmers on the smaller one and toys- they are a bit expensive but are good machines i have had mine about 2 years--the innovation is good also but there is no counter on them

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to both of the ladies who gave such helpful tips. Sorry to hear the bad experiences with hers from Olde English Babydoll. It is so disappointing when you purchase something, look forward eagerly To its arrival and then it doesn't work properly. I agree about Chinese and Tai Wan goods but we don't seem to be able to get anything else in England at a reasonable price. I am tempted by the Addi, mentioned by Peachasgo. can you knit children's sweaters on it?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Nan Murray, if you're considering a flatbed machine, I'd go with a Singer machine (LK150 plastic, but really good or one of their metal bed machines, etc.) since Singer is still manufacturing and there should be numerous distributors in the U.K. Which means parts would be available! Big plus. There's also the Singer/Studio HK100 for plain bulky knitting, nothing fancy, I use mine just to produce fabric. Charity Blankets, etc. It's a 8mm/9mm size.

Susan Guagliumi is great for info on LK150's. She was (maybe still is) a company rep/designer/teacher. Take a look on YouTube for some videos on a variety of Singer machines.
http://www.guagliumi.com/free_stuff/index.html

Good luck on your quest!!

Marge

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
I took your post to mean that you wanted one of the round crank operated KM's, but if you are interested in a flatbed that is easy to learn and understand, I would agree that the Singer/Studio LK150 plastic bed machine or a good used Brother KX350 you would be making a good choice. They are both mid-gauge machines and extremely easy to operate. I believe there are more accessories available for the LK150 but you do many hand-manipulated designs with either.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Nan Murray, this YouTube video talks about a 'new' one recently out on the market. I've not seen it in action in person, but the review of it looks pretty decent.

Quote from reviewer on June 2, 2016:
"Michael's Loops and Threads Brand Knitting Machine Review! Should you buy it?! ("Michael's" is a big craft store here in the USA, "Loops and Threads" is their store brand and "Knit Quick" is the product name. As of this recording, it is only available in stores.)"

Marge

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What a wonderful response to my request and yes, I would prefer a flat bed machine, but was thinking of the price. However I am beginning to feel that it might be money well spent, or am I giving myself an excuse to splurge? It is such a long time since I owned a flat bed Knitmaster. It was lovely, did patterns and fair isle as well as plain knitting. However the plastic bed ones sound interesting. Thank you all you lovely ladies for your help

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
NanMurray said:
What a wonderful response to my request and yes, I would prefer a flat bed machine, but was thinking of the price. However I am beginning to feel that it might be money well spent, or am I giving myself an excuse to splurge? It is such a long time since I owned a flat bed Knitmaster. It was lovely, did patterns and fair isle as well as plain knitting. However the plastic bed ones sound interesting. Thank you all you lovely ladies for your help
I personally think that the metal beds are far better than any of the plastic ones. You could get a second hand metal one at a reasonable price more than likely cheaper than a new plastic one over here! You need to know what you are buying and obviously buy from the right place.
Where do you live? If you have a machine knitting club anywhere near you they often have.....or know someone that has.....one for sale.
I have sent you a private message.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SusieKnitter. Thank you for advice. I will certainly check out local knitting clubs. Hopefully there are some. I hadn't thought of that. I had wondered if the plastic beds would be durable. I have checked the private messages and sent a reply. I have not used this facility before so hope I am doing the correct things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom