Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited to tell you all that on my last two flights I managed to knit........

I was trying to hide it at first, and only knitting when the flight attendants were busy, then got so caught up in my knitting I forgot to put it away when they were giving out the drinks.
One of them asked me what I was knitting, and said it was lovely.
So I got brave and tried it again on the next flight, same thing.
So they must have relaxed the rules. I did only take on my plastic circulars, and bamboo tunisan hook.
I even sat in the terminal and knitted for a few hours while waiting for my next flight, and no-one said a thing. Security let them go through without any comments either.
Australian knitters, we are truly liberated......yey!

·
Registered
873 Posts
alisonburd, by all means take your bamboo needles and yarn on the flight. If you prefer steel needles, pack them in your suitcase to use once you arrive. I haven't had a problem taking my knitting on interstate or international flights over the last 3-4 years. If anyone, officials or otherwise, has shown any interest in my knitting it has only been out of curiosity or to compliment me. But if I were travelling to North America I'd probably think twice before carrying my knitting on a flight.

·
Registered
19,012 Posts
I suppose it depends on the flight attendants and ground security, but I've traveled all over the world and never had a problem except for one time going from Australia to Hawaii. Ground security passed my crochet hook through but a flight attendant freaked out so I told her I would just put it away. She actually had the captain come back to my seat and I told him he could take the bag up front with him if it would make the attendant feel better but he laughed and said it was OK but suggested that I just continue reading for the flight. But all the other flights in Australia were no problem. Go figure!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I went from Florida - Washington DC - Japan - Thailand with a long pair of Aluminum needles I had bought at a garage sale. Then had to relinquish them in Bangkok coming home by the Indian Airline security. I am a master of picking up dropped stitches and with $1 needles it was annoying, but not a great loss.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Good for you!
But I bet you've never set off all the bells and whistles as you went thru the scanning gate.
My late husband did exactly that.

He'd removed watch coins wallet etc, and blithly walked thru, and Bingo! All the screamers, red lights etc went off and the next thing he was confronted by a large armed man in a forbidding looking uniform.

Well they scanned him, and scoped him and just about skinned him alive and found -nothing. Much head shaking and puzzlement.

Then suddenly he remembered, and opened his shirt front. You see, he had a shoulder that dislocated regularly, and the surgeon had implanted a piece if steel that looked like half a garden rake to hold everything together. The scar from the operation was quite evident, about 8 inches long from the top of his shoulder round to under his armpit.

General relief, much laughter, and we went on our way. We got a little extra special treatment on that flight, as a sort of apology I guess. It was of course funny in retrospect, but quite scary at the time.

So good luck with the knitting. just dont take steel needles.

Luv Madkiwi.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
madkiwi said:
Good for you!
But I bet you've never set off all the bells and whistles as you went thru the scanning gate.

He'd removed watch coins wallet etc, and blithly walked thru, and Bingo! All the screamers, red lights etc went off and the next thing he was confronted by a large armed man in a forbidding looking uniform.

Well they scanned him, and scoped him and just about skinned him alive and found -nothing. Much head shaking and puzzlement.

Then suddenly he remembered, and opened his shirt front. You see, he had a shoulder that dislocated regularly, and the surgeon had implanted a piece if steel that looked like half a garden rake to hold everything together. The scar from the operation was quite evident, about 8 inches long from the top of his shoulder round to under his armpit.

General relief, much laughter, and we went on our way. We got a little extra special treatment on that flight, as a sort of apology I guess. It was of course funny in retrospect, but quite scary at the time.

Luv Madkiwi.
I set off all the alarms anyway, as I have 4 joint replacements and a plate in my left ankle with 8 screws in. Its a bit of a hassle really when other people just walk through and then DH has to wait while I am 'checked out'.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Hip replacement etc! Embarrassing isn't it! Everyone staring and you can see them wondering what that elderly terrorist has been up to!

But I do sincerely sympathise, it's a terrible nuisance.

Hope you're painfree now.

Madkiwi.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fly all the time, I take my knitting with me. I have never had a problem! I knit n the terminal, on e the airplane etc. when I think that I have a too talkative seat mate, I put I my ear phones and continue to knit.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I traveled from Sacramento, CA to Dayton OH and now heading back to Sacramento. Metal needles in suitcase and bamboo in back pack. No problem with them at any time. I knitted in Sac at 4 AM with no problem,had them out today on the flight from Dayton into Denver. Was to tired to knit so asked the flight attendant to put them in the overhead. No probem

·
Registered
180 Posts
madkiwi said:
Good for you!

Luv Madkiwi.
Good idea to show the scars . My husband patiently explained about his joint replacements while a security person commanded more loudly each time that he empty his pockets. A supervisor had to intervene. Quite offensive. I thought we would have to start carrying xrays .

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mary, Virgin Blue have been permitting knitting with circulars for ages, I knitted from Tas-Vic-Adelaide 2 years ago and knitted again this April from Tas-Vic-Auckland, didn't knit on Air NZ coming back because I had run out of wool

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I flew to Brisbane and asked the airlines if I could take my crochet hook and they said yes. So next April when I fly again I will ask if I can take my knitpro needles so I can knit to my hearts content.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom