Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
20,519 Posts
jbenedict said:
I have been knitting on airplanes for years. I have never had a problem.
I have no problem with my knitting bag as a carry on. BTW...Estelle Getty aka Sophia of Golden Girls fame, used to to knit & crochet on the show practically every episode. Not only were these her own real & personal projects, but, all the sweaters she wore were her handknits.

· Registered
11,389 Posts
Knitting needles have been a problem on some flights from some countries. Additionally, TSA agents are "authorized" to make judgment calls on any item they feel "could" be dangerous. Regulations can and HAVE changed at a moments notice..for this reason and because i work in the airline industry I make the following suggestions 1) place your "good" needle(s) in your checked baggage and keep your item on inexpensive needles with a "life line" in case you are asked to remove them...then you can slide your work off the cheap needles, discard them and not lose any work. For a long time I carried a self addressed envelope to place needles in, to mail back to myself...I realized this was futile..since mailboxes are NOT allowed anywhere near the security area of airports. Don't count on what has been allowed even 5 minutes ago to still be in effect.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow, this is great information and great suggestions. Too bad things have changed so much. My good needles are plastic and by inexpensive ones are the old metal ones. I would thing the plastic would be more acceptable. Is this true? I also have wooden dpns. Not that I fly much, but it is always great to have the info in case we do choose to fly.

· Registered
2,193 Posts
Marge Simpson on the Simpsons cartoon knits and so does Morticia on the Addams Family, at least in the movies, not sure about the tv show. I never paid attention until I learned to knit a few years ago!

· Registered
28 Posts
knitting and crochet classes are on going here in Whittier CA. We have a Grandma and Me class at the Senior Center during the summer.

The county library, Sorensen Library, has classes every Saturday in which all are welcome. Such fun for all.

· Registered
2,705 Posts
sockteacher said:
Yes, I saw Betty White knitting on her new show Hot in Cleveland which by the way is so funny. I agree that it is wonderful that it is coming back into fashion. I teach teenagers at my local library in and after school program which is alot of fun and they are so eager to learn. This year we are making socks.
I would love to see her new show, but it's not available in Australia as far as I know. Did you know that men were knitting before women. I looked up "men knitting" on the internet and got over 2 dozen pictures of men knitting. They even have camps annually - see Y Knit Man Camp. Cowboys knit, even on horses (old movie). I smiled when I saw the Tardis (as in Dr Who).

· Registered
11,389 Posts
Today's teens are very "into" some quirky things. At a recent art exhibit several of them...tattoo'd and pierced thought that the spinning a friend and I were doing was "sick". It took me a couple of moments to realize that today's "sick" is yesterday's "groovey".....nice kids...one of them said "dude can you make me a skull scarf out of that stuff?". I'm not a dude but I think he related to the fact that my wheel sports a skull decal :eek:) *scratches head and wiggles toes*

· Registered
526 Posts
fibrefay said:
sockteacher said:
I smiled when I saw the Tardis (as in Dr Who).
Then you must appreciate the Tom Baker scarf from the 1970's. I believe it was 12 feet in length!

I saw a knitted Dalek pattern not long ago somewhere online. It is nice to meet a fellow Whovian!

· Registered
2,705 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Maelinda. Tom Baker was my favourite Dr Who. Then again, they are all favourites. Loved his scarf, didn't he? My son is currently watching the latest series. My daughter-in-law's brother is a fan and has practically all his books and videos. He is currently in London and will no doubt come back with some Dr. Who items, if his wife will let him! Hope they get a chance to see some of the actors.

· Registered
10,079 Posts
wadeallie said:
In the Harry Potter movies..Dumbledore was very fond of "muggle" knitting patterns, and Mrs. Weasley used magic for her knitting.
Hagrid also knits...in the first Harry Potter book he was knitting what looked like a "canary-yellow circus tent". Hermione too...elf caps, knitted both by hand and with magic.

· Registered
10,064 Posts
aliceones said:
i would like to know how to teach my 8 qnd 5 year old grandchildren how to knit without pulling out all my grey hair. the 5 year old has made a half an inch of messy knitting and has picked the color and pattern and wants to start a sweater for her doll. she is very determined HELP
just a couple of hints. buy 10 1/2s...bigger and they can't handle them and smaller and the yarn holes are too small for them to handle...then buy 1 red pair and 1 other pair of any color....split the pairs so that they each have a 'red' needle.....R for red, R for 'right side' (of fabric), red for 'right hand'. teach them to finish with the other color when ready to stop for the session, so that they have just purled (i even use this method when just doing garter st.... just to be consistent) or used the 'other color' for the last row....now they are all set with the 3 Rs when they pick it back up.

secondly, use a chair for the little ones to sit in that you can get behind. they will pick up what you are doing on their needles much quicker if they can see it as you stand behind them and are reaching over their shoulders for a few stitches and then staying there while they repeat what they've seen....i taught a 6 yr old this way in just a few minutes...she 'got' it for the first time when seeing it from her own 'point of view'....

the last thing i would suggest is to teach them to cast on a few stitches and knit till their piece is a square. then bind off and begin again...the success rate is helped hugely when they have something, anything, FINISHED.....then as the squares (they do not have to be the same color or the same size)...accumulate, show them how to lay them out, trade colors here and there if different colors are used, and then put together for 'barbie blankets'... or the last few inches on each end of a scarf that you make for them (this is a BIG favorite....."see the scarf grandma and i made"... and they really only need a few squares to do it. it could be one row of three or four different colors or 2 or 3 rows, depending on how many squares the girls are interested in doing...having something finished will really encourage them to try another set of squares or a something small.....

almost forgot...when teaching how to increase (not the first project, or the 10th, but when....) a really cute and simple and fast project is to CO 3 sts, then increase 1 st on the beginning of every row. when the triangle is about 1 foot wide, you can crochet a chain on each end and have a little 'bandana-style' head scarf for herself.... if they can't make it to 1 foot....you only need about 5 inches to make a stole for barbie....

good luck....you will have made a wonderful memory for the girls and maybe they will be knitters or maybe not, but someday they will tell someone on their knitting forum about how their grandmother taught them to knit....

· Registered
10,064 Posts
my favorite knitting on tv was a blooper....does anyone else remember the 'quilted northern' commercials with ladies sitting around a quilting frame and all of them were knitting with two needles... on the quilt!!!!......we laughed our heads off every time it showed.... somebody needed a proofreader and a grandmother to tell them what was what!!!!!!

· Registered
526 Posts
Teliria said:
I just finished a crochet version... it has been a long time since I crocheted, but was able to follow, so not too difficult :)
Very well done! You are quite talented, Teliria. :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom