Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((( Hey, just by popping a search on the web will enter you into a world of solutions, wonderful tutorials and related videos. I did it for you:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=knitting+onto++waste+yarn&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=99c4ceabc8c9e00

The third draw down talks about knitting on waste yarn (to be removed later). Perhaps this is what your pattern is referring to, eh?

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
~~~~~~~

tntayala said:
I'm trying to make a baby dress and I'm at the armholes. It says to knit onto waste yarn, cast on and then knit. I'm so lost!!!! HELP!

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
they're telling you to knit this section or number of sts onto a piece of yarn that is scrap.....it is just another type of 'stitch holder'...machine knitting uses a lot of scrap or waste yarn but hand knitters can use too...the trick is to knit at least 5 or 6 rows of this waste so that it will not come unraveled accidently.....when you get further down in the pattern, it will tell you to go back to this area and 'pick up' those sts...you will just unravel carefully and then place the live sts back on your ndls and follow pattern from there....good luck...you have just added a new technique to your knitting arsenal....good luck

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
This is confusing me... why wouldn't you just knit onto a stitch holder or run a piece of yarn through the stitches for a more flexible stitch holder? I really hate having to pick up those "live" stitches... so much room for error!
Mary

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
I'm with Mary on this one. However I have found that sometimes I don't have a short enough stitch holder or need a more flexible holder to work around and just using scrap yarn and maybe tying a loop would work better for me anyway. Knitting a newborn baby onesie right now that is an example of that problem at the arms.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
vermontmary said:
This is confusing me... why wouldn't you just knit onto a stitch holder or run a piece of yarn through the stitches for a more flexible stitch holder? I really hate having to pick up those "live" stitches... so much room for error!
Mary
you're absolutely correct when you see there are several solutions.... no difference in the outcome...i think the differences are only in how we're taught, and the specific situation... (what if there were 100 sts to be held? ... but of course, the circ ndl would still work great here ... another thing to consider is HOW LONG they will be on a holder....working with the rest of the sweater with another ndl or holder in your way is different from the waste yarn, which is soft and malleable)... the good thing is that you have learned to solve this and OTHER problems the best way for you... there is No Wrong Way To Knit!!!! (NWW2K)!!!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Of course, cats are enticed by everything to do with knitting. They seem to sense when I'm working on a tricky bit, and that's when they intensify their "help"!

I do like to run a piece of waste yarn through my stitches when there are a lot of them, or many inches to go. Then I can just knit them off that when I'm ready! I'm going to try the circular needle method sometime, though... mainly because it looks cool...
Mary

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
The item I posted the picture of, is a collar that is knit out from the center, so it's not going to be on there all that long. I've also used a dpn, a pipe cleaner, what ever is handy. Say do you really need that second chopstick?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom