Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yes, you should do as you always do, unless instructed otherwise, and have the yarn in back of your work to do a knit stitch.

EDIT: I can see why you have a question. In proofreading my post after sending it, I began to think about the instruction of "yarn forward" prior to the slip stitch and began to question myself. Let's see what others say before moving on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peggy Beryl said:
Yes, you should do as you always do, unless instructed otherwise, and have the yarn in back of your work to do a knit stitch.

EDIT: I can see why you have a question. In proofreading my post after sending it, I began to think about the instruction of "yarn forward" prior to the slip stitch and began to question myself. Let's see what others say before moving on.
Thanks Peggy, I will wait to hear from a few others

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marilyngf said:
it would really help if you could give a link to the pattern, or a few rows where this is
This is for a shawl from knitrowan.com,Triangular scarf by Jennie Atkinson and is for the first row. The entire row reads,K2tog,*yfwd,sl 1,K1,psso,K1,K2tog.yfwd,K1.rep from* to last 7 st, yfwd, sl1, psso ,K1 K2tog, yfwd, K2tog.The second row is K1, purl to last stitch,K1

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Yes, a pattern or at least several complete rows would help
I agree with Peggy B about your original question... but the thing that throws me is "K2tog,yfwd,K1" why would you need to bring the yarn forward between those two knit stitches?

So... yes, please give us more information....

ETA http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/triangle-shawl-24 but since it is a paid pattern, and based on what you included about the rows instructions, I have the same question.
It's entirely possible I'm missing something....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pattern I have was free from the knitrowan site.I just had to look under designers for Jennies name It is a straight version of the triangle shawl and has only a 4row pattern repeated 7 times More like a scarf You have to be a member of knitrowan(it is free) Go to Designs and patterns then enter Jennie Atkinson in the search on the right side Tis pattern is on page 2 and is actually called Shawl (Small)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
knit4ES said:
Ahh... penny just dropped... yfwd is what I would call a "yarn over" ... not "bring the yarn to the front" ..... so that now makes sense to me.
It is free at knitrowan... I think you have to register/login to get to it... http://swarovski.knitrowan.com/files/patterns/Swarovski_Shawl_final.pdf might get it for others, but I'm not sure
Thanks so much Now all I have to do is research how to do a yarn over !!

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
jscushy said:
Thanks so much Now all I have to do is research how to do a yarn over !!
and gardening pat said:
gardening pat said:
Am I right in thinking this is an English pattern? I would read it that you K2tog then bring the yarn to the front of the work and take it back over the needle. This way you are not loosing any sts, suggest you try it.
It's just wrapping the yarn around the right needle and creating another "stitch" (but you don't actually stitch it until you probably purl it on the next row)
You need that "increase" because you have elsewhere k2tog which decreased 1 stitch

So, I think you've got what you need to keep stitching.... look forward to seeing it. :sm24:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I think in this case we have a British English v American English terminology: yfwd is what we call a yo or yarn over, just bring the yarn between the needles to the front and then back over the needle so that it's in position to do the next knit stitch. You are making stitches to make up for the decreases of the psso and k2tog.

·
Registered
23,299 Posts
jscushy said:
My pattern says yfwd,sl 1,K1,psso,K1,K2tog,yfwd,K1
y question is, after my sl 1, do I bring my working yarn to the back to do the K1 that follows
What is your pattern... is there a link???
Sometimes YFWD means YO ... but in any case, if you are to do a K1... your yarn should be to the back when you work that K1.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom