Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to forum - Trying something new.
Pattern says - *yfwd. s1 K2tog. psso. yfwd. K1 - rep from*
The pattern is supposed to maintain 73 sts across.
Doesn't this st. pattern reduce the sts by 2 each time? I don't see where /or how they get added back. This is row 2. Row 1. is standard stitching across.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( Your yfwd is increasing one st each time it's used. After one run through there over 7 sts, I ended up with 10.....somewhere over the remaining stitches in the row, there should be something in it that will get you back to '''even'''.

If you'd like to send me the '''entire'''' pattern, including the very top and bottom, a link, also (for the pic), I'll pop on a test to see what's up should you '''not''' see the back to even portion over those remaining sts.

Hey, if you'd send in the entire row in question as you pose the question, that would help one to just read across and find the 'getting back to even' portion.

TTYL & H2HFU!
~~~~~
Grover3523 said:
New to forum - Trying something new.
Pattern says - *yfwd. s1 K2tog. psso. yfwd. K1 - rep from*
The pattern is supposed to maintain 73 sts across.
Doesn't this st. pattern reduce the sts by 2 each time? I don't see where /or how they get added back. This is row 2. Row 1. is standard stitching across.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, is the yfwd a yarn over? I still must be doing something wrong. I just pulled the yarn forward but didn't use it to increase a stitch. If I use the yfwd as a yarn over, it would solve the problem.
Thanks, will work on it to increase. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I hope this is of some help, I am doing a similar pattern myself & you replace the slip stitch and the stitch you loose when you knit two together with the stitches created by the yarn forward which wraps around the needle to form a stitch.......cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
when you move your yfwd and then knit the next 2 sts tog it creats a yarn over and a hole (must be a lacy pattern) so it therefore puts one of the stitches back onto the needle as the yarn over so your stitch count should remain the same.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
This is one of those "once-every-week-or-two" questions. The Brits try to describe every possible way you can make a YO: k then k, k then p, p then p, and p then k. To do each one using the English method of knitting (throwing), you move the yarn differently.

Problem is there are times when making some decorative sts that you will do a yfwd without making a yo. Also, if knitting Continental, all yo's are the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This pattern should maintain the correct number of stitches. The double decrease made by slip one, k2tog, psso reduces 2 stitches and those 2 are replaced by the two yarn overs made
by bringing the yarn forward between the two needles prior to slipping the stitch as if to knit it, or just knitting it - whichever the pattern calls for after each yfwd. If the yfwd is worked correctly, there will be a hole directly under it, and it will sit at more of an angle on the right needle than the regular stitches.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When you do YWFD (yarn wond forward), this will produce a stitch. You have two YWFD on this row and that will make up for the two stitches lost. Just do the next row and then count them and they should be the amount of stitches you need.
- cheryl

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
OK, I am doing a pattern: K2, *yfwd, K2. Pass yfwd over K2. So the two yfwd that are in the pattern are actually yarn over? This is in a pattern from Patons for a cowl that I want to knit. Thanks for any help anybody can give this old gal.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I suspect that since the pattern reads:
k2
yfwd
k2
pass yfwd over k2

that you have a stitch unique to this pattern.

What you will do is k2, then do a yo, then k2 again. Now the unique part: pick up the YO and slip it over the last k2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom