Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
mpalmer said:
Did you spot this in the 'links and resources' section.
I know it's a hand-knit pattern but the idea could easily be adapted for the KM. Moira

http://www.deramores.com/debbie-bliss-jacket-pattern?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_510_teddy
It is a really cute sweater, but IMO, possibly tricky to adapt to MKing. I read the instructions,and there are a lot of purl stitches among the cables and diamond sections, and the diamond shapes are a traveling cable. It might be faster to knit it by hand -- except I'm such a slow HKer, the hand manipulation would be faster for me!

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
That is gorgeous, it would need careful planning/working out for a machine but it could be done. If you have a knitleader you could put each section on the knitleader sheet and then follow that.
Moira seeing that you have a radar it would be a little harder for you with the radar pattern being half size but you could still do it in the same way. Just pencil in what needs to be cabled and what is the teddy.
If I had a little one to knit for I would certainly have a bash at doing it. It would be a challenge but well worth the effort. Thanks for putting it on, I've saved it...I may have someone I can knit it for one day.

The stitch pattern could be used in the same way for a ladies jacket...where the teddy is you could put a flower.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Moira, yes that is a really cute sweater and I have downloaded it also. Makes me want to have more grandchildren so I can knit it. Flowers in place of teddy bears is a good idea as well. I'm not that experienced as a machine knitter yet and this would be a challenge, is it worth it? Humm...I'll have to really study this pattern. Thank you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you for that link, it really is a cute pattern. You could knit this with a garter carriage, perhaps simplifying the cables a bit and hand tooling them. Where the teddy bear faces are, you could have plain stocking stitch squares and then add the bear faces by swiss darning (replica stitch) afterwards. The bear faces would stand out a bit because they add a second layer of knitting in a contrast colour. I think that wuld work really well. If you don't have a garter carriage, then knit the jacket plain, with cables if you fancy it, and again swiss darn the teddy bear faces affterwards.
Sheila
Western Australia

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pleased some of you liked the pattern. I'm not planning on knitting it - I just saw it, liked it and thought I'd pass it on.
If I was to tackle it I would probably Swiss Darn the bear, although my KM does have the facility to knit a single motif from a punchcard. You could also use Intarsia.
I also thought you could replace the bear with any simple design - a boat, star, car ...
I have found dish-cloth patterns really useful for Swiss Darning ideas - just use a different coloured yarn instead of a different stitch.
There are lots of dish-cloth patterns on Ravely - if you want to make the design bigger just double the number of stitches and rows. Moira

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom