Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two of the skirts I have completed. They are comfortable to wear. Each took 35+ hours to hand knit on circular needles. The Dark Country blue has a back seam. The charcoal print yarn one is circular with visible elastic waist. I am working on a third one in cranberry with lacy effect bottom and back slit/kick pleat. I just have 10" to go to the waist. I like them about 30" long.

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Grandmaof6 said:
Here are two of the skirts I have completed. They are comfortable to wear. Each took 35+ hours to hand knit on circular needles. The Dark Country blue has a back seam. The charcoal print yarn one is circular with visible elastic waist. I am working on a third one in cranberry with lacy effect bottom and back slit/kick pleat. I just have 10" to go to the waist. I like them about 30" long.
Hi Grandmaof6,
Those skirts are perfect. Will you share the pattern? I have been looking at skirt patterns but haven't found one that I felt comfortable enought to try?
Wanda/Queenmawmaw/ [email protected]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
The skirts are gorgeous! I love the blue one. Please, please share that pattern with us! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Grandmawmaw, I hope that was right, sorry if it wasn't

The directions for these two skirts are in my posts:

The Charcoal yarn one is Vanna's. Using 6mm circular needles. 4 stitches to the inch. So if you are a 50" hip you need 200 stitches. If you want a slight a line add a few more and then decrease below the hip. I used the crochet hem because A it was curling and B I like the effect. Attach the contrast yarn and chain 7, join in next stitch, chain 5, join in next stitch evenly around and tie off. Let it do it's thing! At the top I joined my comfortable waist measurement, first pinning it even and then hand stitching it in place before using the machine. I get nervous about that part. perhaps a straight stretch stitch would be best there.....your choice. Mine are 30" long...about 4" below the knee...nice for sitting.

The blue one starts with the rib which is 4x4 on 6mm circular needles. I just counted my rib and there are 91ribs(292st)(290st if joined) which means I k4, p4 all the way around if joined (and added extra 2 sts if seamed). for 50" at hip. You go by the hip measurement times 4 + Remember that on the last 2 rows you will purl the first 2 stitches together all of the way around....(decreasing 45 stitches per row)this makes it nearly invisible. There are 2 rows of knit to make a small ridge above the ruffle ribbing. Caron simply soft falls in soft folds. Swishes when you walk. This one I couldn't get joined so it has a center back seam which looks like it belongs. I turned over a casting and used 3/4" non roll elastic. I am not a pro at writing directions sorry....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hope those instructions help....I appreciate your comments. I found free patterns at the Berroco site. Haven't tried any...but they are cute.....

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Lovely! Do you line them? Do they sag? I read that length will pull knit garments like skirts down. But these are really pretty and maybe something I'd try :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a skirt person and I love your knitted skirts. Can you share a pattern or tell me where I can get them? I made a skirt and vest to match years ago, but no longer have either. It was made during the short, short skirt days, so back in the 70's I think. Your's do not look like you have to line them, but would probably stabilize them even more. They are beautiful. I expecially like the navy blue one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
an old friend of mine used to knit suits all the time. she would put the appropriate number of stiches on her needle and just knit straight up. then she would bind off and sew in a half slip and she was done. i made one when i was very young and it was great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I use acrylic yarn they are holding their shape. I haven't lined these as a black slip works well. No marks from sitting. No saggy butt pocket. If you want more of a shapely fit use 2-3 inches less than hip measurement as guide.

I use 4 ply yarns want to go to stock or 2 ply and try them for spring. I am experimenting.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
W-O-W!! Splendid job. Couture look. Wrote down your directions too. The 29-30inches is just right, but that can be easily adjusted.They are easy to understand. No problem at all! Difficulty I had with a skirt was the weight of the yarn has to be midweight to have enough substance. Did always wear a 1/2slip. The edging sorta covers any uneveness. Love the the sewing the 1/2 slip as immediate lining, that could be a use for older slips.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Sharon Kosse:

Thank you!

The Charcoal yarn one is Vanna's. Using 6mm circular needles. 4 stitches to the inch. So if you are a 50" hip you need 200 stitches. If you want a slight a line add a few more and then decrease below the hip. I used the crochet hem because A it was curling and B I like the effect. Attach the contrast yarn and chain 7, join in next stitch, chain 5, join in next stitch evenly around and tie off. Let it do it's thing! At the top I joined my comfortable waist measurement, first pinning it even and then hand stitching it in place before using the machine. I get nervous about that part. perhaps a straight stretch stitch would be best there.....your choice. Mine are 30" long...about 4" below the knee...nice for sitting.

The blue one starts with the rib which is 4x4 on 6mm circular needles. I just counted my rib and there are 91ribs(292st)(290st if joined) which means I k4, p4 all the way around if joined (and added extra 2 sts if seamed). for 50" at hip. You go by the hip measurement times 4 + Remember that on the last 2 rows you will purl the first 2 stitches together all of the way around....(decreasing 45 stitches per row)this makes it nearly invisible. There are 2 rows of knit to make a small ridge above the ruffle ribbing. Caron simply soft falls in soft folds. Swishes when you walk. This one I couldn't get joined so it has a center back seam which looks like it belongs. I turned over a casting and used 3/4" non roll elastic. I am not a pro at writing directions sorry....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rochelle:

Thanks for your comments. If I was going to use a liner I would get the anti static liner fabric for a more polished professional look

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you Grandma of 6. I can understand your writing perfectly. Thank you so much. I am going to have to try making one once I finish my Scandanavian sweater that I am working on right now. In years gone by, I purchashed 2 wool knit suits and absolutly loved them. It is hard to find wool garments anymore without it costing an arm and a leg. I, too, am a grandma of 5, so my young styles have changed considerably, so your skirts fight right into my today look and I also like the length below the knee or even longer. Many thanks again. I will let you know how mine turn out., Sharon

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Your skirts are out of this world. Thanks for sharing.... I'll check in the Vanna print yarn... had no idea there was such a thing... looks interesting... like an animal print (zebra???)
I love them and I send my congratulations,
May in Atlanta

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Budster:

Thank you!

They are my idea....I made up the directions and knitted them. I have worn both of them.....I will say that the Caron Simply soft feels wonderful but I already have a pick to pull under.

I sent the instruction to Grandmawmaw and also Rochelle on page 1. Hope that you enjoy making some yourself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
May:

Thank you. I am glad that you like them.

It is a varigated yarn named Charcoal print. A mix of gray, charcoal and black. There are others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom