Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like to use 4 needles or 5?
Three needles with stitches plus one working needle or four needles with stitches plus one working needle.

I've switched to 5 but I find it a bit too fiddly.
I know a lot of you use magic loop but I'm curious about those who use DPNs.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I think it comes down to personal preference. The more stitches that are required for the project, the more needles I like to use. Usually, I prefer to use 4 DPN with the 5th working the stitches . I find I get less of a "gap"/stretching between needles -- just me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For me, it's either 5 double-points or 2 circulars. If the project needs to go with me, the circulars let me slip everything to the centers of the cords and be assured that no stitches will fall off the needles. I keep the front of sock on one needle and the back on the other.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I prefer 5 needles. That's how I learned as a child just never changed it. I have tried knitting socks with a short circular, it just doesn't work for me. I use the DP
needle, 2 sets and make 2 at a time my way. Its different but works for me.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
well I have mostly have sets that contain 5 and many sizes that I have multiple sets. I have been know to use as many as necessary. cause I don't like the old cables, I do however like circular knitting.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
puppe5 said:
I prefer 5 needles. That's how I learned as a child just never changed it. I have tried knitting socks with a short circular, it just doesn't work for me. I use the DP
needle, 2 sets and make 2 at a time my way. Its different but works for me.
I do the same. I knit 2 at a time. Each on a separate set of double points.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
When knitting anything using DPN’s I have always used 5 needles. I learned that way and find it quite comfortable. The exception might be if there are very few stitches, such as near the top of a hat, or the fingers of a glove.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I was taught to use 5...but in doing a very small area like socks, the top of a hat or small baby items I prefer to use just 4.....after you have knit with them for awhile you don't get ladders & they are much more comfortable imo....

·
Registered
12,462 Posts
I use 4 needles total for socks. I find it is convenient to have the sole stitches on one needle and the other two top of the foot hold each a quarter of the stitches. This puts most increases and decreases on the ends of the needles and easy to keep track of. I never have ladders.

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
crispie said:
I think it comes down to personal preference. The more stitches that are required for the project, the more needles I like to use. Usually, I prefer to use 4 DPN with the 5th working the stitches . I find I get less of a "gap"/stretching between needles -- just me.
Not just you, I find the same thing.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have swapped to mostly doing two circulars but I prefer 5 dpn for socks. I like even numbers of stitches and symmetrical work whenever possible.

I do two at a time either way. On dpns I just work one inside the other.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom