Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pattern says to use size 5, 12" needles. I can't find 12" needles. My set doesn't even have a wire to make one. What do I do now? I'm scared to try dpn, afraid stitches will fall off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually, dp knitting seems to have a bad rap somehow... I knit socks and don,t have any problem with stitches dropping, but one thing you might try is those little items you can stick at t.he end of your needles, not sure what they are actually called but you can put them at any yarn supply place, even walmart, and they just stick onto your needle ends. That might help... Cheers, from Karen in nova scotia :)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
suziq said:
My pattern says to use size 5, 12" needles. I can't find 12" needles. My set doesn't even have a wire to make one. What do I do now? I'm scared to try dpn, afraid stitches will fall off.
I use dpn when making socks. So far I haven't had any problems with stitches falling off except when I'm knitting while riding in the car or on a bus when traveling. I bought rubber point protectors and leave on the needles I'm not working only removing them from the working end of the needles I'm currently using. It slows me down, but beats hitting a pothole and pulling the needle out.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
NanaFran said:
For knitting socks, try 9" circulars! The very easiest to use... Get them at your local yarn store or have them order them for you. You'll love them.
I actually found those tiny needles very hard to work with and got cramps in my hands and shoulders.
It sounds like she is wanting to do them on straight needles?? If she does want to do them in the round and not use double points the magic loop method would be the way to go. use a longer circular then pull loop out each side of knitting to work the small amount of stitches. Many tutorials out there for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't have a problem with dpn's but also like the circulars. You can use longer circ needles if you use the Magic loop method. Just google it if u aren't familiar. Just another option. I also make my socks now with the toe up method and 2 circular needles. I like the dpn's though. Now days there are so many new ways to do things.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I find that 2 circular needles any length work well and don't leave "ladders". To do this, place 1/2 the stitches on one needle and 1/2 on the other. One becomes the heel needle and the other the instep needle. Always keep the heel stitches on the heel needle with the decreases and increases at each end. You don't have to use markers this way. I also find it useful to use 2 different colored tips. My favorite length is 24 or 29". It feels awkward at first but becomes second nature quickly. You can try on the socks as you go with this method.

·
Registered
58 Posts
suziq said:
I tried dpn for the first time a month ago - I think you can get things (can't remember what they're called!) to put on the needles so stitches won't fall off. I know it's kind of scary when you start, but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. ;-)

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I use the 9" circular for making socks, many people complain that it cramps their hands and I suppose that is a drawback to them. My size 5'(and some millimeters) makes those tiny needles just perfect for me! I still use DPN's on occassion and enjoy them...I'm weird like that though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love to make socks and had the problem of the stitches falling off all the time. I am a loose knitter and was using metal needles. Switched to bamboo and that helped a lot. Then my bright hubby cut some wine corks into thirds and made stoppers for the needles. Great solution for me! And cheap.

·
Registered
900 Posts
When knitting with dpn, I take 3 small rubber bands and as I finish the stitches on a needle, I slip a rubber band on one end of the needle - give it one twist - and put the other end of the rubber band over the other end of the same needle. I do this on each of the three needles. As I begin the stitches on a needle, I remove the rubber band (which looks like a figure 8 on the upper edge of the needle) and replace it when I finish that needle to go on to the next.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
suziq said:
You could always use the magic loop method of knitting sox, check it out on Google first. Dps are easy and your stitches won't fall off. Bamboo and wood needles work better than metals for slippery yarns, espeially acrylics. The needles grip the material. I use bamboo for everything.

Please remember, good quality needles a happy knitter makes. Check out the Paradise Fibers site. There have all types of needles, including a 9.5" asymmetric circular by KA classic bamboo. The KA bamboos are great needles.

Happy sox knitting.

:-D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I always had a problem with dpn. It was just clumsy and the needles kept getting in the way and I was afraid of losing sts. Then I saw in a book how to properly do it. When I laid my work down and positioned the needles properly with one over and under the other needles like it showedmaking a square or triangle, with the number of needles used. I could not believe how much easier it was. If those of you who complain about them or are scared to try them look it up and make sure they are positioned before you start your first row. After a few rows it goes quickly and the needles stay where they belong. I wish I could remember where I saw it but the internet or any books on dpn knitting will tell you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom