Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting in the waiting room at breast check Wales I noticed a basket with wool, knitting needles and directions for knitting squares, no of stitches size etc. women were invited to either start or continue knitting a square, there were about 7 or 8 in various stages some with more than one colour.

I was amused to see that not one was square and had obviously been knitted by more than one person, with stitch sizes all over the place. Knitting squares for charity is a great idea, putting the basket in the waiting room even better, I managed 10 rows before I was called.

·
Registered
17,999 Posts
I once had the job of putting these shapes together for a blanket for a famine appeal. It took two of us 6 hours but had been knitted by young children. Since then I do the corner to corner squares as it is much easier to get a real square that way.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I went to a dr a few years back where they were knitting a shawl for the local nursing homes. It was straight knitting and they had the size 10 or 11 needles so anyone could do it. What a wonderful idea-knit while you wait and help someone stay warm. Why not say a prayer while knitting for the knitter as well as for the recipient. God bless our caring people.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a shame there wasn't a wider appeal for squares by the charity as I'm sure many of us would be only too pleased to make & donate a few squares for the appeal. Many of us have been affected by breast cancer or know someone who has.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I knit house shoes for charity. I am currently working on them for the nurses at the hospital. People remember the doctor, but never the nurses. :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What a great idea and what a calming way to pass the time as you wait.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
MrsC said:
I went to a dr a few years back where they were knitting a shawl for the local nursing homes. It was straight knitting and they had the size 10 or 11 needles so anyone could do it. What a wonderful idea-knit while you wait and help someone stay warm. Why not say a prayer while knitting for the knitter as well as for the recipient. God bless our caring people.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I think a true square is hard to knit...at least for me...so I only knit miter squares (corner to corner)
for charity projects.

Maybe someone could cut a few cardboard square templates to put in the basket to help everyone?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PaKnitter said:
I think a true square is hard to knit...at least for me...so I only knit miter squares (corner to corner)
for charity projects.

Maybe someone could cut a few cardboard square templates to put in the basket to help everyone?
They were printed out in the basket, but when you get loads of people knitting a couple of lines, it's never going to be square, but it was fun.

Most squares are knitted and sent in later.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
nanasota said:
I don't know how a cardboard square is going to help me knit a corner to corner square.......nanasota
a template is used to lay the knitted piece on so you can see when you have the same shape and quit before it turns into a rectangle.

the directions were provided with the yarn and needles.

directions and templates are two different things.

you can find directions for a miter square by searching the internet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom