Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

The pattern I'm using to knit a baby blanket, w/basketweave pattern, requires knitting on the wrong side and right side. Does anyone have suggestions on how to knit on the wrong side(row 1) and right side(row 2) w/circular needles, please? Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
Anything you can knit on straight needles can be knit on circulars (and in the case of something big like a baby blanket they're definitely better). Just pretend that they're 2 separate needles - when you finish row 1, just turn it around like you would with straights.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Don't join the yarn to knit in a circle. Just use the circular needle as you would use a straight needle. Turn at the end of the row and bring the free end of the circular around to knit. I am knitting a baby blanket on a 29" circular needle, using it as straight.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I've knit everything on circs for 50+ years, from swatches to 600+ st patterns. After baby-sat children and then my own would jostle the end of my needles and cause sts to drop (once a long thin [EXPENSIVE] walnut needle even got broken) I switched circs and never looked back.
Just turn and st 'rows', not joining in 'spiral rounds'.
Mom's and Grandma's needles all got added to my collection of vintage & antiques....

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
I prefer circulars!

For 3mm and above I have pairs of Bamboo. 2.75 and thinner I prefer stainless from HiyaHiya (and other brands that MAY offer stainless). I do feel your pain when breaking a circular or straight mid-job!!

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
A good reason to use circulars to knit back and forth as if you are using straight needles is that your baby blanket will be more centered on the needles so less strain on your hands and wrists.
One way I use to tell the WS from the RS is to let the tail hang on the WS. Also when you add another skein of yarn, make sure the tail is also on the WS. That way all of your weaving of the yarn tails will be done on the WS. The RS is the "public" side--the side that will be seen.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,339 Posts
Straight needles are good for:
... nostalgia, because I learned on them
... gauge swatching, because they are straight; the swatch lies flat.
... teaching kids - I don't know why, maybe because they can brace a long needle against something?
... staking young plants
... poking holes in ... whatever needs a hole
... decorations - standing in bottom-heavy vases, and they don't need to be watered either! ;)
... handles on knitted bags!
... materiel for a sculptor
... materiel for a jewellery maker (I've seen earings made from the end-caps of Boye and Bates needles!) I can imagine someone cutting hollow aluminum needles into short lengths for stringing on necklaces.
... wind chimes
... holders for double-pointed needles - just cut the pointy end off a hollow needle and slide your fine dpns inside; close with a rubber bit or a pencil eraser.

The possibilities are endless!!

I must admit to still knitting with them, but only at home. I've become too butterfingered to use them where the inevitably dropped one can roll to the end of the bus/train or clang annoyingly on a concrete floor in a room that echos! Circulars save me from looking like a fool as I crawl under and around furniture and legs looking for the dropped needle. My dpn work doesn't usually leave home.;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
And remember, when knitting a blanket on circulars, always start your row with the working yarn on the left needle. That way, it can't be connected and made into a round. lol

Have fun!

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
Oakley said:
Knitting straight on circular needles, don't join up at the end of the first row--just turn the work around and continue knitting on the next row.
WARNING! Once you start straight knitting on circulars, you might not want to go back to 'straights' I find them so much better, no loosing the other needle, takes up less room too.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Yes, as the suggestions say, just turn the needle around, don't join at the end of the row.

The only time I have had trouble knitting straight on circular needles was one particular dishcloth. For some reason, I needed to change to straight needles so I could rest the end of the needle on my knee or the table or something, so I could do a complicated stitch. I was surprised. So I've saved a pair of straight needles. Other than that, I use circular needles to knit straight. A big help-- I can carry it with me, in the car or wherever, and I don't have to worry about dropping or losing the second needle.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
Straight needles are good for:
... nostalgia, because I learned on them
... gauge swatching, because they are straight; the swatch lies flat.
... teaching kids - I don't know why, maybe because they can brace a long needle against something?
... staking young plants
... poking holes in ... whatever needs a hole
... decorations - standing in bottom-heavy vases, and they don't need to be watered either! ;)
... handles on knitted bags!
... materiel for a sculptor
... materiel for a jewellery maker (I've seen earings made from the end-caps of Boye and Bates needles!) I can imagine someone cutting hollow aluminum needles into short lengths for stringing on necklaces.
... wind chimes
... holders for double-pointed needles - just cut the pointy end off a hollow needle and slide your fine dpns inside; close with a rubber bit or a pencil eraser.

The possibilities are endless!!

I must admit to still knitting with them, but only at home. I've become too butterfingered to use them where the inevitably dropped one can roll to the end of the bus/train or clang annoyingly on a concrete floor in a room that echos! Circulars save me from looking like a fool as I crawl under and around furniture and legs looking for the dropped needle. My dpn work doesn't usually leave home.;)
Jessica Jean, You are such a hoot!! I've never seen anything like the needle on the purse! I wonder how you keep the stitches from sliding off! I love the look though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom