Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
Happy Friday, ladies 🍷🍷🌺🌺🏵🌼🌻 Last week went by in a flash, didn't it? Thanks to Kate and Margaret for getting our new week underway again.
Winter has settled in for real almost overnight and now I'm appreciating all the winter chores that I don't have to do anymore 😁 Sitting here with a glass of wine enjoying the change in the view -- color me happy.

Thank you so much Kate and Margaret for our new week. The summaries are so helpful as well as the photos so I can go back and see the ones I missed. The sunflowers were very realistic. I loved them.
Jazzy, do you now have a snow covered view? Is your bike cleaned and put away for the winter?
Still very cold, just up to 34F at 3 PM.
Poledra, I see on our weather report that you are supposed to be getting some of our very cold weather as well as snow. Did this happen.
Maatje, is Gus accomodating to the cold weather? Does he have lots of heavy fur on the bottoms of his feet?
Yes, there's snow over everything now, a whole different look. The buildings facing us have a lot of balconies with Christmas lights and it's really pretty at night. I ordered a new bike which will go straight into the bike room when it arrives, but I'm hoping for a few nice dry days so I can at least try it out.

Thank you for the new week ladies very much appreciated.
just got home after foray to the gift store and couldn’t resist buying this hanging arrangement for the front door.
‘At present it’s inside but will move it on Christmas morning.
‘Also here is my latest and possibly last knitting for the store for awhile.
‘We left the store and went and had coffee and yummy cheesecake for morning tea. Tried a new place and it was really nice.
Wont need lunch for awhile after that large slice. View attachment 1267370 View attachment 1267371
I love them both. Simplicity is preferred to busy when it comes to decorations so the wreath is perfect. I know you're hanging it indoors so it doesn't get stolen, but that way you can enjoy it every time you pass that door. The sparkly works really well with the lavender, there's going to be another well dressed young lady. 😁

Didn't you just buy a new bike? What does this do that the other didn't?
I did buy a new bike but after one 20 mile ride, it was obvious that wasn't the right one for me so they are replacing it with one that fits me better, even swap on price. The issue is the crossbar, which was too high to allow me to mount or dismount easily and a challenge to get moving again after stopping. The new bike doesn't have a crossbar at all. It's called a step through style and it's like getting on a Vespa scooter. They have to bring in one that's my size so that's what I'm waiting for.

Thankyou ladies once again. Another wet day here today... it is just starting to fine up a bit mid afternoon, but more forecast tonight if it happens. Well DD and both girls have just tested positive for covid (again they had it in Feb) , and I had Penelope here yesterday for a few hours... at least we were mainly outside though as it was a nice day so fingers crossed I don't get it too. So far Penelope has no symptoms, Serena a slight runny nose and DD has the bad headache... which is why tested in the first place.

Bonnie.... I posted at the end of last week to note that the pattern says to use black for penguin feet but I did use yellow. Edit... also I used white where the pattern said cream.
Oh no! I hope you didn't catch it and your daughter and girls only have mild cases. Even when you try to be careful, it's so hard to avoid exposure because it's usually too late by the time you find out.

We very seldom eat dessert but tonight I had a craving for something sweet so I made this apple dessert. I thought I would share the recipe because it's fast, economical and light. No idea what to call it but I've had the recipe since the mid 70s.

2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup apple, peeled, cored and diced (I just use the whole apple) NOTE: use a good cooking apple like MacIntosh
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine the apple and sugar in a bowl with a spatula until sugar is moist. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients and add to the apple mixture, fold in chopped nuts. Spread in a greased 9" pie plate, bake 30 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm or room temp.

I've made this successfully with Robin Hood gluten free flour if you need to substitute.
Food Tableware Cake Ingredient Recipe

Attachments

Thank you Kate and Margaret! You are so appreciated. I was a little late to exercise this morning. DH took the truck over to the club house for coffee, and got back here at 9, thinking he was on time, except I was supposed to be there at 9 and Gale usually starts a few minutes early! That's ok, I still got my work out! Then beading. I finally have the boiler finished for the Christmas train ornament I am making DH. That's 2 pieces out of I don't remember how many that get put together to make the whole locomotive. I may have posted the link for you before, but I don't remember. Right now I have just the locomotive started, but I do have the patterns for the rest of the train. Christmas Train Ornament Pattern Part 1 The Train Engine Bead Pattern By ThreadABead

Jeanne called me this morning and said to check the mail. They had coupons to a restaurant we haven't been to before that had 2 hamburgers, fries and drink (non-alcoholic) for $15. So we went and tried it. The burgers were good, fries were crisp but not over done. A good meal. And we checked out the menu while we were waiting for our food, and have decided it's worth going back to. The prices were competitive with most other places. We are back home with the electric heaters going and I have a heat pack on my feet on the footstool with a blanket over my lap. The sky is clear, the air is crisp and it's 44F at 8p. Brr! And I think DH is napping in his chair with the RV on. This getting dark so early is the pits! I'm even ready for bed this early tonight!

Back to the top to catch up and send the summary to Joy and Kathy.
I just checked out the link for your beaded train -- wow! I don't know if I would still have the patience for that type of handwork, but you're enjoying it and it's going to be amazing when it's done.

good morning. Not as cold as other mornings. 7:30 and 22*. But looks like the sun will shine today so should be a wonderful day. I have no where to go or be today. Yay! I suppose I could work outside but I’m not going to rake any more leaves…. I’m afraid at this point will also rake up too much of the bark. So the rest of the leaves will need to decay and provide mulch. Angela, sounds like your day was perfect! And a well informed guide is a godsend. 2 hours sounds just long enough. At least that’s my limit…anything after that my brain goes into overload and doesn’t take any else in. Strawberry Sharon, those machines are wonderful. My mom had a similar old one when we immigrated. She traded it in for a new singer machine….that was back when singer was still a good name. One of my DD’s now has that machine and it still works very well. I hope you will follow the advice of the others here regarding your shoulder surgery. Wishing you a good outcome. I must update you on my little grandson who had his food stolen at school. He is doing so much better and the reading has now definitely clicked! As has the spelling. Everyone is thrilled for him. Bonnie, I hope you ds has his truck fixed soon. I can imagine that’s a tricky job. And I sure hope the mechanics place coughs up the deductible. Otherwise like mentioned, maybe a small claims court and lots of free advertising on your sons part. Well, I’m going to get going. Hope y’all have a good day or night.
That is great news about your grandson. It looks like the stress at school was definitely having an impact on his progress, but now that he has tasted success it will be motivation to keep it up. Good for him and good for the adults who took his concerns seriously.

It’s bad here again with another wave of omicron giving 20,000 cases each week ugh!
But I see Pfizer are making a new vaccine with very good results for these new strains.
We get our Pfizer bivalent booster in three weeks, and in the meantime trying to play it safe. Hospitals are full of kids with RSV, the flu is starting to take off and people are still dying of one form of COVID or another. It's going to be a loooong winter again 😟

Nice, that middle one looks like it was very fancy when new. I think the old Singers were very good machines, even if they don’t have all the bells & whistles of the new ones.. I have a newer, about 10 years old, Singer & it sure won’t go through heavy stuff like my old one. I have a Singer Genie, it was considered a light weight portable when I bought it, really nice for taking to classes. I’ve had it 45 years & I think it’s about worn out. My friends DH likes to tinker with them & she said I should bring it over & let him see if he can fix it up. I may do that. Someone gave him several old Singers & he’s been fixing them up, if he can’t fix mine, I may think about buying one of those for doing heavy mending & leather
I used my 1975 Singer for sewing canvas and Sunbrella fabric canopies for our first gazebo at the house. (No one told me when I was making aprons in Home Ec that I would become a tent maker one day lol.) In the early 60s, my dad used my mom's Singer to make a family sized tent for camping when we were in Europe. The new Singers just don't measure up to the historical quality. My MIL's 1977 Singer was in pristine condition when we gave it to a friend's daughter last summer and she knew exactly what she was getting. Now the machines have all the bells and whistles but they can't handle the heavy stuff for long and they're plastic instead of solid metal. Pearl's Girls has amreal treasure there.

my DH doesn’t like chocolate chips in anything
Sort of like apple crisp but a little more diet friendly. I love Mac apples
Actually, it's more like a skinny apple cake, the sugar, eggs and flour make a light cake batter. I've served it to company many times and it's always been well received and the recipe has been shared often. It's almost guilt free 😉

My story telling mind is on form again so here goes folks.
A Tomten feast for Christmas
I knew it was too much to ask theTomten to behave and I’m not wrong on that assumption.
I’ve had to employ the services of Gnome Patrol to investigate some rather pungent odours coming from yonder staircase where they’re all gathered for the holidays.
‘It turns out that overnight there has been some pre Christmas cooking going on.
‘Each lady Tomten has brought along a traditional or favourite dish for the festive season and to welcome newcomers Scarlett and Rufus Reddington.
‘They’re a side shoot of the agricultural garden gnome family.
‘All may seem innocent but on inquiry gnome patrol have discovered their true intentions.
‘They want to sample the strawberry liqueur and party party party, leaving none to be delivered across the street where the Reddingtons are headed.
As for the strong odours, Kristina has brought Lutefisk and Swedish meatballs. That is quite a heady aroma from the Lutefisk, not for delicate stomachs I feel.
‘Poppy has brought herb cookies and rhubarb icecream. Am quite suspicious of what she terms herb, as it smells rather like a certain ‘’weed’’ which is a worry.
‘Catriona has made clootie dump and cranachan, liberally bathed in whiskey. That is quite acceptable I think?
And finally from Clodagh we have plum pudding and roast pork, yum
This is just from the ladies, I am left wondering what the fellas have concealed in the secret cupboard under the staircase.
‘Oh my, it’s going to be a troubled 5 weeks until Christmas at this date I can see.
‘As for the dress changes, I’m not committing to anything just yet.
You certainly stirred the pot when you introduced the newcomers 😅 Now they have a good excuse to party and get into mischief. Hope the strawberry liqueur is well hidden under lock and key because who knows what will happen if Wee Willie gets into it and starts handing out strawberry shooters. The ladies might be better behaved but that will probably only last until they get their new lacy knickers out of you. And are you sure of the gnomes' loyalty? They could become turncoats for a plate of Christmas goodies, they're not really known for their morals. A lot can happen in five weeks 😅

Me too! well I didn't put Sharon's in.
I am sitting here seriously thinking of trying it with rhubarb instead of apple.

Edit. in the oven. so see what is like in about 20 minutes.
It's going to be yummy. I've never thought of changing out the fruit because Mike doesn't like rhubarb, but I wonder if it's too juicy to make a cake thing. Could be pudding instead. Inquiring minds want to know how it turns out 😁

Morning ladies thought I better show my face before more days pass again , not been particularly busy just trying to deal with husband at the moment , have to say living with someone who is classed as bi-polar is not for the faint hearted, but hej i havent needed to ask for bail money yet so my super power patience or should that be resistance 😄 is still strong . I've been having some trouble with my snowman hat but I'm now happy with the snowman , got to make the other one while it's fresh in my head so hopefully if I can get some peace should be able to get them finished this week,

Cathy so sorry to hear the girls and mum have covid , do hope they feel better soon
After hearing about Mike's life with a bipolar mom, you have my sympathy. You're right, it takes a strong person to at least not fantasize about putting them out of your misery in their sleep. His dad is a totaĺly different person since he became a widower. Is your DH on any kind of medication to smooth out the mood swings? {{{Hugs}}}

I have learned so much on this forum. I didn't know that US and NZ gallons were not the same. I paid 5.79,9 for a gallon of diesel fuel yesterday and was complaining. Surely we all are suffering high petrol prices.
Strawberry, I am so sorry for your son's losses. How awful to have your car broken into and ramps stolen. I hope they can catch those theives as well as the dastardly ones who drilled holes in the gas tanks. Gas tanks are always hard to replace as you have to take out and disconnect much of the gas lines and parts of the car over them. Here they are stealing catalytic converters, also very expensive to replace. And, I learned at the DMV that thieves are breaking into handicapped peoples cars and stealing their handicapped cards and selling them on the black market. I was told to keep my car locked up and only use the card if absolutely necessary for me to park in a handicap place. I shall try just to park as close as possible to the store and not use the card.
Sometimes everything going on makes one want to just hunker down in the castle with the drawbridge raised up against the world. I know there have always been thieves and criminals, but the impact of their activities on the rest of us seems to be increasing all the time with new ways to profit from crime.

Hugs, Sonja.💕 That’s got to be so difficult. Good you have your knitting and the beauty of Yorkshire to escape to when needed.

Thank you, Sharon. This sounds so good. My mind is coming up with all kinds of variations—blueberry, maybe a topping like sugar and cinnamon, how about frozen peaches with a brown sugar and pecan topping?
I like all of those ideas, and it wouldn't cost much time or money to find out. My only observation is that if I use an apple that's too juicy, the cake is soggy but maybe you would have a really good pudding instead. If you do experiment, please share the results. I have to admit that it never occurred to me to change out the fruit, but that's why I love the tea party ladies -- fresh eyes.

1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom