Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
Thank you Kate and Margaret! You are so appreciated. I was a little late to exercise this morning. DH took the truck over to the club house for coffee, and got back here at 9, thinking he was on time, except I was supposed to be there at 9 and Gale usually starts a few minutes early! That's ok, I still got my work out! Then beading. I finally have the boiler finished for the Christmas train ornament I am making DH. That's 2 pieces out of I don't remember how many that get put together to make the whole locomotive. I may have posted the link for you before, but I don't remember. Right now I have just the locomotive started, but I do have the patterns for the rest of the train. Christmas Train Ornament Pattern Part 1 The Train Engine Bead Pattern By ThreadABead

Jeanne called me this morning and said to check the mail. They had coupons to a restaurant we haven't been to before that had 2 hamburgers, fries and drink (non-alcoholic) for $15. So we went and tried it. The burgers were good, fries were crisp but not over done. A good meal. And we checked out the menu while we were waiting for our food, and have decided it's worth going back to. The prices were competitive with most other places. We are back home with the electric heaters going and I have a heat pack on my feet on the footstool with a blanket over my lap. The sky is clear, the air is crisp and it's 44F at 8p. Brr! And I think DH is napping in his chair with the RV on. This getting dark so early is the pits! I'm even ready for bed this early tonight!

Back to the top to catch up and send the summary to Joy and Kathy.
Wow, Tami! That beaded train is an ambitious project. Is it going to be one car a year? So pretty!!!

Good evening and thank you Margaret and Kate for the new tea party. Sick of being sick, but have not gone to doctor. There is not much treatment for a virus and no sign of anything bacterial like bronchitis. I think it’s just tough it out and stay isolated.
DD keeps me supplied with kleenex, orange juice, lemons and soups. She leaves things outside my back door. We definitely have snow and temps are down, but not below 0 F yet. I’m staying inside for now. Drinking a lot of tea with lemon and honey.

We very seldom eat dessert but tonight I had a craving for something sweet so I made this apple dessert. I thought I would share the recipe because it's fast, economical and light. No idea what to call it but I've had the recipe since the mid 70s.

2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup apple, peeled, cored and diced (I just use the whole apple) NOTE: use a good cooking apple like MacIntosh
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine the apple and sugar in a bowl with a spatula until sugar is moist. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients and add to the apple mixture, fold in chopped nuts. Spread in a greased 9" pie plate, bake 30 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm or room temp.

I've made this successfully with Robin Hood gluten free flour if you need to substitute.
View attachment 1267389
That sounds and looks yummy. Cozy with a little vanilla ice cream, maybe?

I've been using reading glasses for several years. I can't walk around in them, or it makes me off balance again, which is why I don't often wear my prescription glasses. They make the balance issues worse. I;m glad he found a work around.
i have the same problem, and now you will find my reading glasses on top of my head a lot. When I can’t find them, I just feel around up there, and there they are!!!

Morning ladies thought I better show my face before more days pass again , not been particularly busy just trying to deal with husband at the moment , have to say living with someone who is classed as bi-polar is not for the faint hearted, but hej i havent needed to ask for bail money yet so my super power patience or should that be resistance 😄 is still strong . I've been having some trouble with my snowman hat but I'm now happy with the snowman , got to make the other one while it's fresh in my head so hopefully if I can get some peace should be able to get them finished this week,

Cathy so sorry to hear the girls and mum have covid , do hope they feel better soon
Hugs, Sonja.💕 That’s got to be so difficult. Good you have your knitting and the beauty of Yorkshire to escape to when needed.
We very seldom eat dessert but tonight I had a craving for something sweet so I made this apple dessert. I thought I would share the recipe because it's fast, economical and light. No idea what to call it but I've had the recipe since the mid 70s.

2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup apple, peeled, cored and diced (I just use the whole apple) NOTE: use a good cooking apple like MacIntosh
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine the apple and sugar in a bowl with a spatula until sugar is moist. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients and add to the apple mixture, fold in chopped nuts. Spread in a greased 9" pie plate, bake 30 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm or room temp.

I've made this successfully with Robin Hood gluten free flour if you need to substitute.
View attachment 1267389
Thank you, Sharon. This sounds so good. My mind is coming up with all kinds of variations—blueberry, maybe a topping like sugar and cinnamon, how about frozen peaches with a brown sugar and pecan topping?

Good afternoon/morning from a pretty grey Berkshire. We had a brief few minutes do sunshine about an hour ago but it’s vanished again now. Thank you Kate & Margaret for your all your hard work in getting us started on another week. Time seems to fly by, I can’t believe it’s only five weeks to Christmas.
I’m having a quiet day today, our London Explorers group had a trip yesterday to the National Gallery. The guy organising it has a friend who is a tour guide there so we had our own private tour for two hours. He was such a lovely man and made the whole tour so interesting and was a great teacher. I tend to look at a picture and either I like it or I don’t After yesterday I’ll be looking with a much more educated eye! Afterwards we went for lunch at a nearby pub and then I left the group and met up with my DGD who works at a theatre nearby. A lovely day but very tiring.
Sounds like a perfect day, Angela. Made me remember a time when a friend of my daughter’s was training to be a docent at the Minneapolis Art Institute and invited a few mothers of her friends for a practice tour. MIA has a very nice Asian Collection, and that was to be her field. I learned so much that afternoon. It was the best!

And 4 quarts to a US gallon, 16 ounces in a pint, 2 pints in a quart. DS was taught in his baking and pastry classes that a pint is a pint the world around! Though I think at times that does not quite apply.
I think you are right! I know a pint in US is 16 ozs., but in UK, I think it is 20 ozs.

I wonder if you could infuse water with rhubarb like you do with citrus or herbs, or blend it and strain out the solids like you do with watermelon. Either way, some sugar would be needed.
Yes! My daughter makes a light sugar syrup with rhubarb infused. It’s lovely in summer soft drinks and/or cocktails.

As promised yesterday by me. I’m sorry I didn’t take a photo at least a week ago as the blooms were beautiful. Not nearly as large as most of yours but certainly brings me joy every morning when I walk into the kitchen. 🥰🥰😁👍
I’ve also placed 2 of the new Christmas tree balls in front of the Cactus, guess I should’ve turned their lights on, oh well never mind. 😁👍

View attachment 1267563
What a beautiful color!
Love the angels! Doesn’t Lynnette have some too?

This what it looks like at the moment , I've got most of the bits done just need to finish the face and sew the bits altogether debating wether to add a pom pom View attachment 1267579
That is one cute hat! I kind of like the face the way it is! If it was brown it would look like a baby otter.

Sorry to hear your DH still has that cough. It sounds like the virus that a lot of people here seem to be suffering from. One of my walking friends has had it for two week, her DH had it before. They have both been testing for Covid but always negative. It just seems to linger on and leave when it’s ready. Hope he’s better soon.
That sounds a lot like what I have been dealing with. I think this is day 11, and no sign if it wanting to go away. Friends keep urging me to see a doc, but I don’t think there is much treatment as long as it’s still a virus, Boy, have I gone thru the kleenex!!!

Avoid pies as I just can't get pastry to cook nicely- even when I buy it. Do crumble and another similar dish bit Jazzy's is easier. Never have tried Rhubarb Fool (or indeed any fool dessert)
Rhubarb bread and muffins. If you’d like it, I have the best rhubarb cake recipe that I have also made with blueberries and even mangos.
You can also use rhubarb to make a very good chutney. I love a dish of cold rhubarb sauce and a slice of toast with peanut butter for breakfast.

You can freeze them! Then just reheat in the oven or microwave.
This recipe is making my mouth water. I love sauerkraut but rarely fix it as DH doesn't particularly care for it. I'd have to halve the recipe for sure knowing that I'd probably be the only one eating/trying them. But that said I did copy the recipe!
Oh Gwen! I love it too. But even 40 sounds like a lot! How about this, I heard about mashed potatoes with sauerkraut and small bits of ham mixed in? It was served at a dinner after a polish wedding.

Bit the bullet and tried to make a virtual appnt. with my doc. First available is Dec. 29. That does absolutely no good when I’ve had this stuff for almost 2 weeks. Time to start worrying about bronchitis or pneumonia. They checked for any availability and came up with next Monday. So, decided to ask DD to drive me to Urgent Care first thing this am. TTYL with the next exciting installment.

Bit the bullet and tried to make a virtual appnt. with my doc. First available is Dec. 29. That does absolutely no good when I’ve had this stuff for almost 2 weeks. Time to start worrying about bronchitis or pneumonia. They checked for any availability and came up with next Monday. So, decided to ask DD to drive me to Urgent Care first thing this am. TTYL with the next exciting installment.
Daughter and I left the house at 7:30 to be at clinic when it opened at 8; got there at about 10 to and there was a line of about 12 standing out in the cold waiting for it to open. All was very efficient once inside. Didn’t take long. Great nurse and doc. Ended up with a chest X-ray for pneumonia. It was neg. Doc said I was probably not contagious after the 1st week, prescribed antibiotic for bronchitis and recommended Mucinex. As we were leaving, we heard registration person telling new patients it would be a 3-hour wait. Glad I went in. Dd is roasting the 2 of us a chicken today. To all who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving Day.

My mom quickly learned that my sister and I would rather go without supper than eat liver so she would give us something else when she cooked it. We were never fussy eaters so I guess we were allowed this one free pass.
My mom did the same. Brother and I had broiled burgers on liver night, but we had to try one small piece. We would smother it in bacon, onions and catsup. However, I do remember ordering it in a restaurant one time when I was pregnant. Thought I had lost my mind!!!

Machriste I'm sorry you still aren't well. I still think a doctor visit is a good suggestion as you don't know for sure it is a virus; sure has been hanging around a long time. We were at our GP yesterday (appointment was for me) and doctor gave DH an antibiotic as as he coughs he spits up mucus. Hopefully this helps. Oldest DD joined us there to discuss with doctor my memory lapses etc. The drew blood to check thyroid, B12 levels, etc and are referring me to a neurologist and to ENT. Both my DB and DS have dementia (both older than me) but he said it does tend to be hereditary. He also suggested having the ENT recheck my hearing before getting the hearing aids. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of dementia or Alzheimer's (doctor mentioned both) but as he said there is treatment to slow things down and help cope. Not going to stress about it as nothing definitely diagnosed yet. DD and DH both shared things they have noticed major changes in me. All is good though as we each get dealt a different set of cards to deal with and deal with it I will do.
Hugs, Gwen. You are in my thoughts and prayers. The longer we live, it seems are chances of being hit with some health problems. Lots in our miracle bodies to wear out.

1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom