Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
Knitting Tea Party, Friday 18th November, 2022 :knitting1:

I seem to be getting earlier and earlier posting the new week, but I’m always afraid as the night goes on that I’ll forget altogether! So here we are early as usual - and to be honest “early” is not usually my “usual”, I’m more inclined the opposite!

Summary of Friday 11th November, 2022 by Darowil
The summary and following lists are a summary of last week's Tea Party and are of more value to the regulars here unable to keep up with all the chatter than to newbies - who are very welcome to join us at any time just by speaking up and making yourself known. All the pages etc refer to last week’s Tea Party Knitting Tea Party, Friday 11th November, 2022

A lot more pages this week than we have had for a while but mainly general chit-chat this week.

Kate has been referred for an endoscopy although the nausea has now gone. 🤞🏻

Flyty1n had a MRI this week to work out what is wrong with her leg - no wonder she has had pain as she has a break and a meniscal tear. Fracture is well aligned and only a small tear so no treatment other than Tylenol/paracetamol and walking only as tolerable without too much pain.

Machristie came back from her weekend away unwell - and remains unwell.

Jazzy has been looking after her grandson this week and so has been around very little. Now back home.

Poledra has finally done the last of her farm work - and tells us she is not going to do it next year!

Grandies are growing up quickly with one reaching double figures, twins reaching two and two young ones becoming mobile - Matthias especially. Some weeks just seem to make the KP grandies growing up show up so clearly.

PHOTOS by Kate
1 - Fan - Amaryllis and geranium plants
3 - Darowil - Wet back yard
4 - Swedenme - April & Annabelle
5 - Maatje - Gus
6 - JoRae - Roxy
12 - Darowil - Bridges and flood debris
16 - Fan - 1940s pattern book / Mini pink rose
20 - Bonnie - Slippers and towels
22 - Fan - Tomten for a neighbour
23 - Fan - Tomten completed
23 - Bonnie - Mukluks
31 - Kate - “Birthday Cupcake” for Mindy
33 - Kate - Luke & Liam
34 - Fan - Female tomten
36 - Fan - Completed tomtens
40 - Sugarsugar - Crochet Christmas penguin (link below)
41 - JoRae - Pot holders / Double knitting hat
44 - Swedenme - Knitted Nutcracker doll / Cowl & mitts
53 - Alibee - Knitted sunflowers

CRAFTS
18 - Tami - How to sew with metallic thread (link)
20 - Bonnie - Vintage knitting books (link)
50 - Sugarsugar - Pew the crochet penguin pattern (link)

RECIPES
20 - Bonnie - Pavlova Christmas tree (link)

OTHERS
14 - MindyT - Watering Christmas Cacti (link)
Good afternoon/morning from a pretty grey Berkshire. We had a brief few minutes do sunshine about an hour ago but it’s vanished again now. Thank you Kate & Margaret for your all your hard work in getting us started on another week. Time seems to fly by, I can’t believe it’s only five weeks to Christmas.
I’m having a quiet day today, our London Explorers group had a trip yesterday to the National Gallery. The guy organising it has a friend who is a tour guide there so we had our own private tour for two hours. He was such a lovely man and made the whole tour so interesting and was a great teacher. I tend to look at a picture and either I like it or I don’t After yesterday I’ll be looking with a much more educated eye! Afterwards we went for lunch at a nearby pub and then I left the group and met up with my DGD who works at a theatre nearby. A lovely day but very tiring.

Thanks Kate & Margaret for another week.t his insurance to pay that
Fan lovely little dress & pretty star.
JoRae, those cookies look good.
I thought DS would be here for supper but he went to pick up his truck in Lloydminste, his transmission went & needed fixing. Well, it took them 2 weeks to fix it & while it’s been there thieves drilled a hole in his gas tank & drained his gas. The @#$& service people didn’t tell him this had happened until after he paid his bill. Now he has to figure out how to get that fixed before he can come home. Damn thieves!
That’s appalling that the service people didn’t let him know before paying his bill. Could it have been someone there that did it? Hopefully he can get his insurance to pay for it but that doesn’t make up for all the inconvenience.

Thank you Kate and Margaret! You are so appreciated. I was a little late to exercise this morning. DH took the truck over to the club house for coffee, and got back here at 9, thinking he was on time, except I was supposed to be there at 9 and Gale usually starts a few minutes early! That's ok, I still got my work out! Then beading. I finally have the boiler finished for the Christmas train ornament I am making DH. That's 2 pieces out of I don't remember how many that get put together to make the whole locomotive. I may have posted the link for you before, but I don't remember. Right now I have just the locomotive started, but I do have the patterns for the rest of the train. Christmas Train Ornament Pattern Part 1 The Train Engine Bead Pattern By ThreadABead

Jeanne called me this morning and said to check the mail. They had coupons to a restaurant we haven't been to before that had 2 hamburgers, fries and drink (non-alcoholic) for $15. So we went and tried it. The burgers were good, fries were crisp but not over done. A good meal. And we checked out the menu while we were waiting for our food, and have decided it's worth going back to. The prices were competitive with most other places. We are back home with the electric heaters going and I have a heat pack on my feet on the footstool with a blanket over my lap. The sky is clear, the air is crisp and it's 44F at 8p. Brr! And I think DH is napping in his chair with the RV on. This getting dark so early is the pits! I'm even ready for bed this early tonight!

Back to the top to catch up and send the summary to Joy and Kathy.
You’re going to have your work cut out if you make the whole train but I’m sure you’ll make a good job of it. Looking forward to seeing the finished project (however long it takes!).

Wow they are amazing, thanks for posting. Sure bought back many memories of seeing and sometimes even using these OLD Singer machines.
My Mother had a very old one but it was on a really fancy stand, it was beautiful. There was a large platform where you would use your feet to treadle to make the machine work. It wasn’t electric. 🙄😁 It was the machine that I learnt to sew on as a Very young child. I made dolls cloths and slowly graduated to making clothes for myself, until I was a teenager, about 17 - I made myself a beautiful cashmere coat. Would love to still have that, it was what we called a “Swing-back” style. WOW, now you know how old I am, lol!
I remember back in the 60s, which must have been about when electric sewing machines were becoming popular, we used to go to a restaurant where all the tables were the old treadle machine tables. Don’t know what they did with all those old machines, probably just threw them out, then put in a piece of wood to fill the hole. You could treadle away whilst waiting for your food to arrive!

good morning. Not as cold as other mornings. 7:30 and 22*. But looks like the sun will shine today so should be a wonderful day. I have no where to go or be today. Yay! I suppose I could work outside but I’m not going to rake any more leaves…. I’m afraid at this point will also rake up too much of the bark. So the rest of the leaves will need to decay and provide mulch. Angela, sounds like your day was perfect! And a well informed guide is a godsend. 2 hours sounds just long enough. At least that’s my limit…anything after that my brain goes into overload and doesn’t take any else in. Strawberry Sharon, those machines are wonderful. My mom had a similar old one when we immigrated. She traded it in for a new singer machine….that was back when singer was still a good name. One of my DD’s now has that machine and it still works very well. I hope you will follow the advice of the others here regarding your shoulder surgery. Wishing you a good outcome. I must update you on my little grandson who had his food stolen at school. He is doing so much better and the reading has now definitely clicked! As has the spelling. Everyone is thrilled for him. Bonnie, I hope you ds has his truck fixed soon. I can imagine that’s a tricky job. And I sure hope the mechanics place coughs up the deductible. Otherwise like mentioned, maybe a small claims court and lots of free advertising on your sons part. Well, I’m going to get going. Hope y’all have a good day or night.
You’re right Maatje. After two hours my brain was ready to explode!
So good to hear your DGS is doing well now.

Morning ladies thought I better show my face before more days pass again , not been particularly busy just trying to deal with husband at the moment , have to say living with someone who is classed as bi-polar is not for the faint hearted, but hej i havent needed to ask for bail money yet so my super power patience or should that be resistance 😄 is still strong . I've been having some trouble with my snowman hat but I'm now happy with the snowman , got to make the other one while it's fresh in my head so hopefully if I can get some peace should be able to get them finished this week,

Cathy so sorry to hear the girls and mum have covid , do hope they feel better soon
So sorry you’re having to deal with one of your husband’s downturns. I hope he gets back on an even keel soon.

I have learned so much on this forum. I didn't know that US and NZ gallons were not the same. I paid 5.79,9 for a gallon of diesel fuel yesterday and was complaining. Surely we all are suffering high petrol prices.
Strawberry, I am so sorry for your son's losses. How awful to have your car broken into and ramps stolen. I hope they can catch those theives as well as the dastardly ones who drilled holes in the gas tanks. Gas tanks are always hard to replace as you have to take out and disconnect much of the gas lines and parts of the car over them. Here they are stealing catalytic converters, also very expensive to replace. And, I learned at the DMV that thieves are breaking into handicapped peoples cars and stealing their handicapped cards and selling them on the black market. I was told to keep my car locked up and only use the card if absolutely necessary for me to park in a handicap place. I shall try just to park as close as possible to the store and not use the card.
It makes me so mad to hear of someone out to make a few bucks out of someone else’s misfortunes. 😡

Sometimes everything going on makes one want to just hunker down in the castle with the drawbridge raised up against the world. I know there have always been thieves and criminals, but the impact of their activities on the rest of us seems to be increasing all the time with new ways to profit from crime.
And I think drugs have a lot to do with it. Users are always trying to get their hands on enough cash for their next fix.

I can sympathize. My niece’s husband was bipolar and I have a friend whose husband is bipolar. It is extremely hard.
Can’t wait to see those hats when things settle down for your and I hope it settles soon. Hugs.
My youngest son is bipolar and thankfully the medication he’s been on for about the past 20 years has prevented him from having a major episode. Unfortunately it’s such a strong dose that it slows him down so much, I sometimes think it must be like swimming through treacle.

yes which he is refusing to take at the moment , apparently doesn't need it , once I can get him to partially listen to what I'm actually saying and he realises his behaviour is not his normal self he will start taking it again , I need to get on to the pharmacy and tell them I want it back in with his other medication instead of separate that someone decided to do this month
I hope he’ll start taking his medication soon. Unfortunately it’s quite slow acting so even when he starts, it takes some time before you see an improvement. 🤞🤞for good news soon.

Glad to hear he takes it Angela , but sad that the side effects are so strong, all the medication does for husband is calm him down , so there are no really high manic episodes or no really low depression episodes , husbands problem is that he starts to think he doesn't need it, at the moment all is calm but the slightest thing will set him going , hes way out theories at the moment seem to be based on all this commotion about the Gas and electric fees not quite sure who I want to quieten the most right now him for listening to Martin Lewis so much or Martin Lewis for doing those bloomin stupid shows
yes, it’s good that he takes it now. We’ve had many ups and downs along the way. When he was younger and still at home I was always looking over his shoulder to make sure he took the right dose at the right time, but he learnt the hard way eventually and is now very good. He lives just up the road from me now and comes in for dinner a couple of times a week So that gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on him. I hope your DH will get back on his meds soon and life can settle down for you. It can be exhausting can’t it. 💕

I'm afraid you are right about it being a long winter again. DH and I have had our bivalent Pfizer already. DH now has been coughing for weeks (at least 2) and I haven't been able to convince him to go see the doctor. Tonight he said that when I go on Tuesday for my appointment he will ask him about it then. I'm going to give them a call in the morning and go ahead and let them know he needs to be seen then too. One of the things I like about our primary doctor is that he often lets DH and I piggy back on each others appointments if there is a need.
Sorry to hear your DH still has that cough. It sounds like the virus that a lot of people here seem to be suffering from. One of my walking friends has had it for two week, her DH had it before. They have both been testing for Covid but always negative. It just seems to linger on and leave when it’s ready. Hope he’s better soon.

£1.57 for petrol here now definitly on its way back down, not sure what diesel is
That sounds better. Our local garage was £1.65 a couple of days ago, but he’s always more than others in the area. I’ve seen it at £1.60 but no lower than that. Mind you, I haven’t been out today. It’s never stopped raining so I hibernated.

1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom