Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
Thank you Kate and Margaret for this week‘s start. I have been enjoying chatting so much. We had our snow and we have been cold. Only 33F now and the sun is on the way down. We have had sunny crisp days though. I think we are in for snow next week. Have a great weekend and week ahead everyone. I hope those that are ill or hurting will start to feel better each day.

Thank you for the new week ladies very much appreciated.
just got home after foray to the gift store and couldn’t resist buying this hanging arrangement for the front door.
‘At present it’s inside but will move it on Christmas morning.
‘Also here is my latest and possibly last knitting for the store for awhile.
‘We left the store and went and had coffee and yummy cheesecake for morning tea. Tried a new place and it was really nice.
Wont need lunch for awhile after that large slice. View attachment 1267370 View attachment 1267371
Your door decoration is simple and festive. Love it. The little purple dress is so cute with the sparkling trim.

Thanks Kate & Margaret for another week.
Fan lovely little dress & pretty star.
JoRae, those cookies look good.
I thought DS would be here for supper but he went to pick up his truck in Lloydminste, his transmission went & needed fixing. Well, it took them 2 weeks to fix it & while it’s been there thieves drilled a hole in his gas tank & drained his gas. The @#$& service people didn’t tell him this had happened until after he paid his bill. Now he has to figure out how to get that fixed before he can come home. Damn thieves!
Since it was on their property you would think they would get it fixed. Grrrrr!

How can I make soft peanut butter cookies? Mine always come hard and are dunkers.
Here is my recipe.
Soft Thick Peanut Butter Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cup flour
With an electric mixer
Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Mix in peanut butter, then egg, then vanilla, mixing after each addition.
Stir in the flour and soda, mix well but don’t over mix.
Chill 30 minutes.
Roll into walnut size balls, roll in sugar if desired.
Place on cookie sheet and press flat lightly with fingers. Don’t press too flat.
Bake at 350 degrees 8 to 9 minutes. They are very soft when they come out of oven. Carefully place on cooling rack. Cool completely.
Note: I do not flatten mine. You can press a Hershey’s Kiss in the center of each cookie when they come out of the oven and before you remove them to a cooling rack.

Thank you Kate and Margaret! You are so appreciated. I was a little late to exercise this morning. DH took the truck over to the club house for coffee, and got back here at 9, thinking he was on time, except I was supposed to be there at 9 and Gale usually starts a few minutes early! That's ok, I still got my work out! Then beading. I finally have the boiler finished for the Christmas train ornament I am making DH. That's 2 pieces out of I don't remember how many that get put together to make the whole locomotive. I may have posted the link for you before, but I don't remember. Right now I have just the locomotive started, but I do have the patterns for the rest of the train. Christmas Train Ornament Pattern Part 1 The Train Engine Bead Pattern By ThreadABead

Jeanne called me this morning and said to check the mail. They had coupons to a restaurant we haven't been to before that had 2 hamburgers, fries and drink (non-alcoholic) for $15. So we went and tried it. The burgers were good, fries were crisp but not over done. A good meal. And we checked out the menu while we were waiting for our food, and have decided it's worth going back to. The prices were competitive with most other places. We are back home with the electric heaters going and I have a heat pack on my feet on the footstool with a blanket over my lap. The sky is clear, the air is crisp and it's 44F at 8p. Brr! And I think DH is napping in his chair with the RV on. This getting dark so early is the pits! I'm even ready for bed this early tonight!

Back to the top to catch up and send the summary to Joy and Kathy.
That train is stunning. That will be an heirloom treasure when you finish.

Yesterday, I had my pool therapy. I started back last week. Today I spent a good portion of the morning getting everything to do with my upcoming surgery set up. Yes, my surgeon for my shoulder is going to scrap and smooth out the arthritis he told me that it doesn't mean it won't come back and I have an extreme tear in my Rotar cuff he will have to repair and any other problems he comes up against. He knows I don't want a total shoulder replacement. I just don't have good luck with surgeries. My PT guy told me it is not an easy recovery it will take me 1 1/2 to 2 years to get over. That scares me I'll be 78 before I get over it, yikes. I have an appointment to see my provider Dec. 2nd. I'm suppose to have all my pre-op x-rays EKG and blood work that day. I do hope that happens but when it comes to the Base and how things get all Mucked up is the norm so we shall see. That is what is going on. Take care dear ones. Love to you all.
I hope all goes well with your surgery. Do exactly as they suggest when you start therapy. My hubby has had both shoulders repaired a few years ago and he does well now. It is a long recovery. Wishing the best for you.

You are right, it is a lot of work, and it will definitely be treasured! I can only work on it in good lighting. I was finally smart. I took what I had finished of the cabin, and the graph/chart that I had taken to the library and had enlarged, to the eye doctor when I had my exam in October. I told her that that and knitting on fine yarn to make socks was what I did most. And that I have a really hard time reading the charts. So she tested me to see what strength readers I need just for doing the bead work! They work great! I wear contacts for distance, and can't use the multi-focal because they don't make the strengths I need together, it's either one or the other. The readers I use for everything else are a+2.50, and the ones for beading are +3.0, and even better, she sent me to the store next door that sells them for $1! I did get a pair there, but also went to Walmart and got a better pair for $5. I'm not having the chart scrambling for me as much. Before it was all jumbled and scrambled. Now at least I can use post it notes to mark each row, and not always have to use 2 to isolate the row I am working on. There are so many pages to this pattern that I printed just the charts and took them to be enlarged as much as possible, and I am using the Adobe .pdf program on my Kindle Fire to use the rest of the pattern for all of the steps and pictures of each step. It makes it so much easier! And it doesn't use all that paper and ink!
I can imagine how difficult those charts are to read and the beads are tiny. Glad your eye doc found a solution for you. The train will certainly be worth your time.

Thankyou ladies once again. Another wet day here today... it is just starting to fine up a bit mid afternoon, but more forecast tonight if it happens. Well DD and both girls have just tested positive for covid (again they had it in Feb) , and I had Penelope here yesterday for a few hours... at least we were mainly outside though as it was a nice day so fingers crossed I don't get it too. So far Penelope has no symptoms, Serena a slight runny nose and DD has the bad headache... which is why tested in the first place.

Bonnie.... I posted at the end of last week to note that the pattern says to use black for penguin feet but I did use yellow. Edit... also I used white where the pattern said cream.
Hope you stay well and your family doesn’t get too sick.

Good evening and thank you Margaret and Kate for the new tea party. Sick of being sick, but have not gone to doctor. There is not much treatment for a virus and no sign of anything bacterial like bronchitis. I think it’s just tough it out and stay isolated.
DD keeps me supplied with kleenex, orange juice, lemons and soups. She leaves things outside my back door. We definitely have snow and temps are down, but not below 0 F yet. I’m staying inside for now. Drinking a lot of tea with lemon and honey.
Hope you feel better soon. Thank the good Lord for daughters. 💖

We very seldom eat dessert but tonight I had a craving for something sweet so I made this apple dessert. I thought I would share the recipe because it's fast, economical and light. No idea what to call it but I've had the recipe since the mid 70s.

2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup apple, peeled, cored and diced (I just use the whole apple) NOTE: use a good cooking apple like MacIntosh
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine the apple and sugar in a bowl with a spatula until sugar is moist. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Combine dry ingredients and add to the apple mixture, fold in chopped nuts. Spread in a greased 9" pie plate, bake 30 minutes at 350°F. Serve warm or room temp.

I've made this successfully with Robin Hood gluten free flour if you need to substitute.
View attachment 1267389
That is an easy dessert. Sounds delicious. Thanks.

Good afternoon/morning from a pretty grey Berkshire. We had a brief few minutes do sunshine about an hour ago but it’s vanished again now. Thank you Kate & Margaret for your all your hard work in getting us started on another week. Time seems to fly by, I can’t believe it’s only five weeks to Christmas.
I’m having a quiet day today, our London Explorers group had a trip yesterday to the National Gallery. The guy organising it has a friend who is a tour guide there so we had our own private tour for two hours. He was such a lovely man and made the whole tour so interesting and was a great teacher. I tend to look at a picture and either I like it or I don’t After yesterday I’ll be looking with a much more educated eye! Afterwards we went for lunch at a nearby pub and then I left the group and met up with my DGD who works at a theatre nearby. A lovely day but very tiring.
That sounds like a really lovely day and bonus you got to meet up with your DGD.

1 - 20 of 1,130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom