Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knitting to help Superstorm Sandy victims: What to do and why | OregonLive​.com

No offense intended to those that have already sent valued items to those in need.

Today I was reading on another knitting site that hand knits are not welcomed for the folks caught in Sandy's aftermath.

Please read the article in link below. It's an interesting point of view and one that I beleive to be valid.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/knitting/2012/11/knitting_to_help_superstorm_sa.html

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I read this on various news sources. Organizations just don't have the infrastructure to deal with material donations. It is not cost effective for organizations to get donated items organized, sorted and moved (which all cost money). $$$$$$$$$$$$ is much better--even a little donation.
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Yes, monetary donations can always be put to work where most needed... I also do not rush to send items, as the postage is so high..... I prefer to donate locally to save the postage money for more yarn.....

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Maybe hand knitted items are better handed over directly to the homeless person in the street, or the local charities. No point in sending things half way around the world, when we don't know what's needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom