Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two balls of alpaca wool, 200 grams each.
I would have enough for a childn's size 4 or 6 jor even 8 cardigan or vest if I used both as a 2 coloured garment. Have searched high and low but can't find a pattern I could use with only 2 colours; some books have several colours but not 2. Does anyone have any info that could help me? When I bought the wool, my grand daughters were young but are now much older...I was busy knitting multicoloured garments inbetween! lol. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Hope it is ok.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#photo=yes&craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&availability=free&fit=child&sort=best&pc=cardigan

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/girls_clothing.php

Both of these sites have lots of free patterns. The first one, Ravelry, requires you to join but membership is free. I am sure you will find something. Any cardigan of vest can be made with two colours. You could do stripes or blocks of colour, or any number of different combinations.

The next time you are looking for a pattern, or help finding a pattern, make sure to put it under that topic. We have some very good searchers who go to that topic and take on the challenge of finding patterns for others. Welcome to KP.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've done single color patterns using two colors. You could put in stripes, or some simple Fair Isle decoration, or do the ribbing (or whatever edging the pattern calls for) in a second color. Or if for a child, make it color blocked--one front in one color and one sleeve in another and a few stripes scattered about. It will create something adorable to wear and fun to knit. When you knit, you are in control of the finished product. That's the joy. You get to be a designer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds exciting...so far I've been too afraid to deviate at all from the pattern...I love the sound of blocking but not being very artistic, am not sure if it would look strange!! I sort of am in the mode of there being a right and wrong way...I think I will try the fronts different; if I use 2 colours in stripes, would I just cut and knot when changing colours at the end of the row? You are inspiring and encouraging me to break forth and grow!! More than just the basic advise I hoped for! Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Grannybaba said:
It sounds exciting...so far I've been too afraid to deviate at all from the pattern...I love the sound of blocking but not being very artistic, am not sure if it would look strange!! I sort of am in the mode of there being a right and wrong way...I think I will try the fronts different; if I use 2 colours in stripes, would I just cut and knot when changing colours at the end of the row? You are inspiring and encouraging me to break forth and grow!! More than just the basic advise I hoped for! Thank you!!
I would just carry the colors up the side of the work - much easier. Take any sweater pattern that you think would look nice with stripes. Do your ribbing in one color then start the stripe pattern above that. I love doing 4 of color A and 2 of color B.

I am also radical enough that I make sleeves in different colors. Really cute - to me anyway.

Draw some out on graph paper to get a feel for how it would look. You can print free graph paper from the internet.

Just play with it and have fun.

Lynne

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I don't have anything to add about the different yarns, but wanted to add my two cents about alpaca yarns. I bought a couple of skeins of baby alpaca yarn at a yarn store and the lady told me that alpaca yarn stretches out a lot. She said that they did traveling shows and started out with a small sweater. By the time they got back home after the show, the sweater was big on her--she was a large size. She said that it doesn't go back to size.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you! I've already knitted a little vest and couldn't believe the difference in the feel of the wool - so light and soft compared to sheep's wool. Can believe how alpaca wool could stretch, as it's just so soft, but will have to wait and see...because I have the same amount of the 2 colours, and if the pattern says 8x50gs, I will have to make sure I use an equal amount for both colours...also, because the Alpaca wool is so light, maybe there is more of it to the weight? Will have to see what happens with the wool I have and will take a photo one day and let you all see how it went..don't hold your breaths though, as my eldest gd has ordered 2 beanie's first, and it may take me some weeks before I finish the little cardigan!
I have never belonged to a forum before and am amazed at how helpful, lovely and positive all the members are!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lynne, if I knit the rib in colour A, then stripes of 4 =B, 2 = A, do you think the ribbing + 2, will equal the 4 in quantity? (The ribbing would be bottom of fronts and back, (10 rows) sleeves, neck, front openings and on pockets.) You see I don't have any more wool but the 200 grams of A and 200 of B. Then I could do one sleeve A and one B? I have chosen a cardigan in Size 4 with set-in long sleeves. It stipulates 8x50 gram balls, so I should have enough. Or I could do just the back striped and one front in each colour opposite to the sleeves?
I can read patterns from a graph but am not familiar enough yet to do it myself!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sure, it should work.

Remember - YOU are the designer and creator of this fabric work of art. The most you have to lose is some time if you knit it and don't like it. You can always frog it and knit it up again in a different configuration.

I know it is going to be so cute when you finish it. I look forward to seeing it.

Lynne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom