Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there was a topic about knitting with dog fur and I had a brainwave. My guinea pig! He has beautiful long golden locks. He is a Texel/Peruvian cross. He is moulting his gorgeous hair and my sister is coming over from Melbourne in November and she spins. I am going to save his hair for her to take back home. He doesn't have guard hairs and it's all so soft and long.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
He is just too cute! Good luck collecting his hair. I have a mini Spitz and I had thought to collect her hair (long and white) but decided I would never get enough collected. I think it is a great idea I am just too lazy to collect all that hair!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Chezl-Isn't he sweet?! My understanding of guinea pigs coat (my GP knowledge is very limited) is it is more a hair than a fur. Is this true? Does your Furby have an undercoat or is the long hair the full coat? Might be a bit slippery to spin but an experienced spinner would probably do ok. Would you blend it with a nice wool or try to spin it by itself? Let us know how it works out. Very interested in the final results! Denise

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
denisejh said:
Chezl-Isn't he sweet?! My understanding of guinea pigs coat (my GP knowledge is very limited) is it is more a hair than a fur. Is this true? Does your Furby have an undercoat or is the long hair the full coat? Might be a bit slippery to spin but an experienced spinner would probably do ok. Would you blend it with a nice wool or try to spin it by itself? Let us know how it works out. Very interested in the final results! Denise
Furby's coat is hair not fur and he doesn't have an undercoat. It grows as long as a foot but I usually cut it short in the summer. I think it will be slippery because it is very soft but my sister will give it a try and she has her own sheep that she bought for their fleece and she also knits. If I had thought about it years ago it would have been great. I used to breed guinea pigs and I had 75 once including babies.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ayjay said:
we had a furby once, only multi colored.
The only way you could tell which was the head or tail was to see which way he was heading.
It is funny to see the Peruvian guinea pigs before a show, their hair is rolled up in paper rollers just like a human. This keeps their hair clean and unmatted.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Patty Sutter said:
What a good idea.
Check to see the price difference between extra bags on the plane vs. mailing/shipping.
My sister brings me things and I give her things to take back and it evens up. She only brings her carry on luggage which is a 7 kilo allowance and a large handbag.

·
Registered
89 Posts
GP hair? hummm, I never thought of that. But then when I had some I didn't know how to spin. Also, they were short hair. (Not exactly condusive to the thought of spinning.) I agree with the idea about mixing with sheep wool, about 50% at first. This will also expand your "supply". When I tried dog fluff, I mixed with sheep wool that I had. Both white and dark brown. Gave me more of a color difference then what my dog gave me. :)
I plied what I had and made a doily for the picture of the dog to sit on. Now I'm saving her fluff for a pair of slippers for my DH, one small paper bag at a time. She never liked to be brushed so I have to give her special treats. She puts up with the idea, but it's still not her idea of togeather-time.
Keep us updated with your progress. I think it will work, just be patient with yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom