Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I've been a reader for awhile and decided this is a good arena to learn and share. I live in Central Florida, and I learned to knit 65 years ago from my grandmother. Gave it up in my 30's for needlepoint until two years ago when I started to knit again. I've got arthritis in my right hand fingers (worse than left) and knitting is easier. When I was 5 when I learned to knit and couldn't use my index finger to throw the yarn around the needle the way my grandmother did. So I used my hand (yarn held between thumb and second joint of my index finger.) I never changed and it is very easy on my arthritic fingers. Hope that helps some others with similar challenges.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I knit Eastern European style which doesn't involve throwing at all, in fact it uses less motion. Some methods lend themselves better to knitters with arthritis. I have a bit of it in the first two fingers of my left hand. It is my belief that knitting actually helps keep those fingers a little more limber than if I didn't knit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried many times to learn the European style of knitting but with no success. It looks much faster :). Now my hands seem not only to be arthritic but inept as well. I have had surgery on both thumbs--I think one in 1995, the other in 2000. I would count both as successful, but very little strength in either. Still manage to do most of what I want--even work in the garden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom