Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a dicky on round needles. However the instructions do not say how to end it - cast off. Never knitted in the round before -how does a person finish - just sew the 2 sides together?

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Casting off using circular needles would be the same way as if using straight needles.
If your definition of a "dicky" is the same as mine...
a short turtleneck ending at the shoulders and some of them drapes down the back and front...
then there would be no sewing together.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
chocolate said:
I am knitting a dicky on round needles. However the instructions do not say how to end it - cast off. Never knitted in the round before -how does a person finish - just sew the 2 sides together?
it sounds as though you did not knit in a circular method....did you knit to the end of the row and then flip your work and do the next row on the other side as if you were on straight needles....let us know and we can help better....knitting in the round implies that you joined the ends of your knitting on the first round and then knit in circles for the whole item.....which one sounds closest to your method.....people do both so either is correct, they would just finish differently...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am knitting on round needles, but I can lay the knitting out flat. The end says to get to 26 stitches and cast off. Then no other instructions. That is why I assume I have to sew the 2 ends together. The pattern is in Knitting Around book.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
chocolate said:
I am knitting on round needles, but I can lay the knitting out flat. The end says to get to 26 stitches and cast off. Then no other instructions. That is why I assume I have to sew the 2 ends together. The pattern is in Knitting Around book.
right...we all use our circular needles to knit flat, it's so much more convenient to have just one needle, but if the pattern was in a 'Knitting Around Book', it probably wanted you to knit 'in the round'.....that's why there was no further instruction after 'cast off.', the book thought it was done....but all is good, just seam it as you would normally, mattress or kitchener stitch and enjoy....

then look at the top area of your pattern, is there a note where you cast on that says to lay flat and join? the note will be close to the beginning, either right before step 1, or IN step 1, as in 'CO xxx sts, and join, being careful not to twist'................if it's there, you can try this next time....good luck...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cast on 76 stitches; next cast off 18 sts across back and now work back and forth as follows: then instructions for right side and wrong side - until I have 26 sts left; k for 2-3" more; then cast off. that is the end of the instructions. What do you thinkl? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom