Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
hi I am new to this site. been knitting for a short time. I have a question ,and looked everywhere for answer and can not find it.maybe some one here may know.the question is when I am knitting a vest and I have to devide the left and right front,i have to put stitches onto a holder,thats fine ,but then I have to finish the roll,so how do I finish the roll if the working yarn is attached to the stitches on the holder. I found how to attach a new yarn with tail. but I would not have a tail when it is on the stitch holder.i hope someone can help me out.

Cut the yarn (leave a tail) and join cut yarn from your ball to start knitting the stitches on your needle. Finish that side, then go back to finish the other side where stitches are on a holder and rejoin your yarn to complete.

Many times you won't cut the yarn because it is needed where you left it off, to complete that side of the vest front.

Is this a pull over vest and you are at the neckline dividing for the two fronts? Is this a top down pattern? Is it bottom up and in the round until the armholes??

We could be much more help to you if you give us the pattern name and/or a link to the pattern.

Welcome to KP.

Often a pattern will tell you to attach another ball of yarn, in which case, you knit each half with a different ball of yarn.

When I have to knit 1/2 half the sts, put them on a holder, then continue across the row, I will usually work a couple of extra sts., put the extra sts back onto my left needle, put the original 1/2 sts on a holder, then put the extra sts that I knit back on the right needle then finish the row. That way I don't have a "tail" in the middle of my row. I just complete the side I am working on, cut my yarn then go back to finish the sts from the holder.

You don't need a tail from the original yarn to join a new ball of yarn or a new color. You can just start knitting with the new yarn, making sure you have a "tail" of a few inches when you knit that first sts. so it doesn't pull through and start unraveling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom