Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone knitted any of Kathryns hats on their machines. This is an OLD site ( www.knitsings.com) & I was wondering if anyone had up to date ideas on the hats. I want to knit a bunch of these hats & donate them to the shelters. I hand knit while watching tv but I do have a brother 970 & a lot of 2/24 yarn in my stash. All the scarves & hats that I make, go to shelters, schools & hospital. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Not sure of the machine you have. I have a USM Bond. Last year I made over 500 hats on mine. This year it is scarves and mittens and 75 slippers. Have to finish them first.
Needlesofsteal.com has a host of patterns for all types of machines. I am sure you can find something there.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Jayne, I went to www.knitsings.com but got lost in there. I have no idea which hat you're referring to. Do you have the specific link to the pattern?

Since you have the Brother 970, you should be able to make them in no time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wonderful idea to make things for the shelter. I'm just getting back on the list. I somehow got myself off the list. Anyway, I have fallen behind with my idea to knit Christmas gifts. So I'm just going to take it as it comes.

Good luck with your knitting.

fashion

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have knit Kathryn's hats. I find the double thickness at the top to be too bulky, so I have adapted the pattern. Check out
http://www.dfwmachineknitters.com/Patterns/PatternsBulkyHat.html
which is a hat for a bulky machine. If you use double the number of stitches and rows on your machine and use 2 or 3 strands of 2/24 yarn, you will have a nice hat. This hat has a hung hem above the turned up part but below the top of the hat decreases.

You can insert any fairisle pattern you wish on either the brim part or the top of the head part. If the fairisle is in the brim, then the floats are covered.

The photo is of hats I knit last year. Behind the pink hat is a red and white variegated hat in Kathryn's pattern. The yellow hat with the flowers, the green hat with the big dots, and the greyish hat with maroon and green right-and-left arrows (in the back) are from the DFW guild website translated to standard machine.

It is fun to use your imagination and yarns to make up these easy hats.
Rita

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Rita in Raleigh said:
I have knit Kathryn's hats. I find the double thickness at the top to be too bulky, so I have adapted the pattern. Check out
http://www.dfwmachineknitters.com/Patterns/PatternsBulkyHat.html
which is a hat for a bulky machine. If you use double the number of stitches and rows on your machine and use 2 or 3 strands of 2/24 yarn, you will have a nice hat. This hat has a hung hem above the turned up part but below the top of the hat decreases.

You can insert any fairisle pattern you wish on either the brim part or the top of the head part. If the fairisle is in the brim, then the floats are covered.

The photo is of hats I knit last year. Behind the pink hat is a red and white variegated hat in Kathryn's pattern. The yellow hat with the flowers, the green hat with the big dots, and the greyish hat with maroon and green right-and-left arrows (in the back) are from the DFW guild website translated to standard machine.

It is fun to use your imagination and yarns to make up these easy hats.
Rita
I have knit this hat pattern and find it too thick as well. Just wondering how you modified it. It's a great looking stocking cap, just too thick as you have said.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rita for the input, you have been busy. I will try to do the 2-3 strands for the hat. Natalies knitting has good instructions for the hat, but as some knitters said the top is bulky.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you for all the good site. I new at the machine knitting and all I know it is a bond bought in 1982. Only got a scarf off it so far. The scarf has made me more comforeble and I know I can do this now. Hey thanks again every one.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Kathryn has had many patterns published in "News and Views" which is a publication of Linda Williams in Maine. She has shown how to knit hats in strips making it go very fast. I knit baby hats for our local hospital a dozen at a time and then finish them as I watch TV. Mine have a rolled edge and I put a design part way up.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ah yes, thanks. That was one pattern that I've done when I was learning to knit. Down south it's too hot for double layers so I revised and just did one layer as many have done. Nevertheless, that is a good pattern to machine knit for beginners.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Deb-Babbles said:
Not sure of the machine you have. I have a USM Bond. Last year I made over 500 hats on mine. This year it is scarves and mittens and 75 slippers. Have to finish them first.
Needlesofsteal.com has a host of patterns for all types of machines. I am sure you can find something there.
Have you made slippers that are finished when you take them off the machine? No sewing to do, just tying in ends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just finished knitting and sowing together a hat,it went well,i have folded the tube so that i have an edge that i can lower ,over to my eyebrows,i knitted 20rows in soft grey,then160 in denim blue and the rest in the grey(40),as i folded the hat over, the grey edge is kept above the blue so you have grey,blue, grey and blue ontop a bit like a nun haha,looks great!(knitmaster326)it took less then an hour!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom