Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of knitting this beautiful LinLin Shawl (link to Ravelry below), halfway through the first section and there were two knots in the yarn. No big deal, easy enough to disguise, but several rows later... one of the knots has come undone and left me with an unholy mess. Actually, a holey mess... i was going to be creative and simply sew something over it as an additional design element, but am I better off frogging back to the beginning of the disaster? or simply camoflauge it...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lin-lin-shawl

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
When you come across a knot in yarn it is always better to cut it off and do a really good knot yourself. There are several and I think everyone has a favourite. Mine is the magic knot for anything lacy. If possible, it is better though to join at the end of a row. This is not possible when working in the round, of course.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
That is such a pretty piece of work. First I would rewind that skein in search of other knots. Then I would frog back to the first knot and leaving out the yarn between the two knots do a Russian join.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
If you decide to make a knot (everyone has different rules for joining yarn). then make a 'synthetic knot'.... 'left over right, right over left TWICE thru the loop'..... it was developed for synthetic fish lines, ropes, etc., as natural fibers have little hairs that tangle and make your knots secure, which synthetic fibers do not.... TWICE thru the loop and it will not come undone...

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
Definitely frog back, and fix! When you come across a manufacturer's knot, cut it out, and create your own favorite join of the two ends of the yarn...way better off that way!! Best wishes, and happy knitting!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Boy, I'm really glad to read everyone's advice! I'm also somewhat new to knitting, and have always just knit past the knots. Not any more, thanks to you guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom