Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
run4fittness said:
Here is one of my current WIPs. It is one of those mindless ones.

Yes, I dyed the yarn. It was an awful mustardy color. The yarn is Araucania, 100% merino wool, 139 yards. I will use most of it for the hat. I always leave a bit to send with the hat just in case there is a need to repairs.

Oh yes, I did the Kool Aid dyeing. I used two grapes and one cherry. Set it out in the sun for about an hour and ended up with this lovely combination.
I am amazed that you can get that gorgeous color with 2 grapes and a cherry. I have recently bought a few Kool Aid packets at WalMart. I keep threatening to dye yarn. Someday I will.

Barbara thanks for the lovely tour of Hawaii (I forgot which island you are on). Stunning photos. And I am also totally amazed at the altitude of the volcano.

Was it you that posted that beautiful quilt made with denim on the last LP? I love that one. If I was to start quiltin I would want to make that.

DeEtta, as I speed read through the last LP I don't remember seeing if you were able to get your tablecloth - blanket to the fair. Did it make the journey?

I have spent last weekend at my sister's house and will again this coming weekend. I was busy sewing curtains for her daughter's room. We did spend a few hours at the beach again in the morning Friday and left by 1 pm. Hence the need to speed read today.

tamarque said:
Actually got a bit of knitting done. It is a swatch of an Estonian type pattern by Megan Mills. There are lots of mistakes in this swatch but the pattern is a fun one to do and thought people would like to see it. I never worry about mistakes in swatches. They are done to let me see if I like doing the pattern and to explore the problems it may have for me. I tend to work them until I am comfortable with what it is about. The pattern is here:

http://megan.cc/EstonianStarflower
This pattern is excellent, thanks Tanya, and I have bookmarked it. There is a similar stitch that was in the shawl Iridea by Susanna IC that I did last fall. I don't remember if it was worked on both sides. And the flower formed the base of a couple of repeats that worked into triangular shapes. Don't know if I am explaining that quite right.

Belle1 said:
Got another square done last night. I continue to think that using the same yarn for the centers as for the outside edges on the blocks (those edges will form a window frame around the blocks) will add the balance I think is needed. By rotating the colors in sequence, there is variety but balance, too. Looking forward to seeing more of this done. Some projects just seem to unfold into a final whole which may or may not match my mental image. Have to run -- today is the monthly girls day and I need to get a couple of pear tarts baked. The first one will be a chocolate pear tart and if I can get to the second it will be an almond pear tart. Catch up with all of you later.
Fast work on those blocks. Once they are all put together it should be stunning, regardless of what colors might look better.
But I am really writing to say I would love to come visit so I can get a taste of your almond pear tart. Yummmmmm.

Babalou said:
You elicited a smile from him when I read your comment to him.

FINALLY finished my DIL's sweater. It was meant for Christmas.....last year. The pattern is "Pretty Lacey Cardi" from Maddy Laine. I particularly like the button I found for it, if you can see it in the picture.
I really like how the colors are pooling on this sweater. It appears almost to be intentional, though how anyone would be able to come up with an intricate color design as that is beyond me.

Ann, yes I see the cat but not the bird. Funny, I always see faces in wood grain as well as faux marble laminates and paneling and flooring.

tamarque said:
Kinda :sm02:

Edit--okay, I checked out the pattern and see what you mean. The stitch you mention is part of the edging? Very pretty.
Yes, the edging. I enjoyed knitting that since I had never seen anything like it before.

Barbara, that button really does go well with that yarn. That was a good find.
And what an unusual beach. Ah, if only about 20 years younger I could have done that hike down and back up, no way now.

sisu said:
Ooh Barbara, that is a wonderful button and perfect for the sweater. Thanks for the close up.

Tanya, I do get Fiesta adds but no free patterns in a long time.

Karen, looking foward to seeing how your spinning goes. Enjoy playing with it.

Barbara, those pictures were wonderful and that info about the greensand beach was very interesting. You and dh are very adventurous to take that hike.

Tanya, sounds like a fun time at your knitting group. Always good to have people to laugh with. So glad you got the money in the bank! Have fun deciding on yarn. Craftsy is having a sale -
http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/craftsy-yarn-shop?ext=20160819_knit_day1_header&utm_source=Craftsy%20Ecomm&utm_medium=Internal%20Email&utm_campaign=Ecomm_All-Ecomm%20Activity
Caryn, that Craftsy sale is so tempting, the prices are fantastic....but I am on a strict yarn diet right now. Alas, I have more yarn in stash than I can use up any time too soon.

DFL, congratulations on your anniversary.

Tanya, congratulations on your ability to splurge on yarn due to your deposit.

I thought I would share a quick picture of the sock I am working on. Using Noro Taiyo sock yarn with a simple pattern with my first after thought heel. (I'm relaxing for a bit before I get ready to leave for my sister's house.) The heel is worked with 4 rows each of an inside thread from current ball and a strand from a totally different colored ball.

Attachments

tamarque said:
Yea, for new skills. Noro colors are so dynamic. Beautiful. Do you like working with their sock yarn? Not sure that I have ever seen any in person.
The colors are great. The taiyo sock yarn is a not so great to work with as there very thick and very thin areas. In fact one section of the dark green actually broke while working just from the tension of my working it. I was a bit upset. I only can hope that they don't wear out too fast.

tamarque said:
Oh, dear. What a frustration. Is there any nylon or polyester in the yarn? Maybe it should only be used for shawls or scarves that want a very light wt yarn?
It is 17% nylon.......50 cotton,17 wool and 16 silk.

Thank you every one for the birthday wishes. I spent the weekend and half of today at my sister's place again so got to go swimming in the ocean some more. A nice hot sunny day and being in the water was a great birthday present. Then my 26 year old niece and her boyfriend came down Saturday evening. It was very nice to see them and get a box of pastries for my birthday.

Julie, that was a quick project, can't believe you are done already - and it is lovely too.

Ann too, your shawl is a beautiful color, even if it is a bit different than the picture.

triciad19 said:
I read something the other day. Socks are small in size but large in stitches. About 17,000 stitches per sock.
Tricia, someone mentioned in the Sock Madness group that when you knit 3 and a half pairs of socks you have knitted as much as a full sweater. Some day I will get around to knitting a sweater for myself. But first I am on a sock knitting craze. ????

Belle1 said:
Seems like the last couple of weeks I've been in and out, but more OUT then in. Goodness, my head is spinning and I can't remember who posted what. All I can recall are a number of beautiful pieces, gorgeous photos (all making me wish I was there to see for myself), frustration with rodents and slugs, and a promise to provide a recipe for the pear/almond tart I made for last week's get together. So if I didn't specifically respond with praise for all the gorgeous things, please forgive me and know that I've been enjoying all the sharings. Here is the recipe that I promised. Since the published work provides the metric as well as American measurements, I thought that would be good to include here. This makes a wonderful, light tart. Yummy....

Pear & Almond Cream Tart - taken from 500 Greatest-Ever Cake Recipes, Martha Day, editor.

Note: Tart can be made with nectarines, peaches, apricots or apples.

Serves: 6

Need:
350 g/12 oz shortcrust or sweet shortcrust pastry
3 firm pears
Lemon juice
15 ml/1 tbsp peach brandy or cold water
16 ml/4 tbsp peach jam, sieved

For Filling:
90 g/3.5 oz/ generous ½ cup blanched whole almonds
50 g/2 oz/ 4 tbsp caster sugar
65 g/2.5 oz/5 tbsp butter
1 egg, plus 1 egg white
Few drops almond essence

1. Roll out pastry and use t6o line 23 cm/9in flan tin. Chill. For the filling, put the almonds and sugar in food processor or blender and pulse until finely ground but not pasty. Add the butter and process until creamy, then add the egg, egg white and almond essence and mix well.

2. Preheat a baking sheet in oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Peel the pears, halve them, remove the cores and rub with lemon juice. Put the pear halves, cut side down on a board and slice thinly crossways, keeping the slices together.

3. Pour filling into the pastry case. Slide a palette knife under one pear half and press the top to fan out the slices. Transfer to the tart, placing the fruit on the filling like spokes of a wheel.

4. Bake tart on the baking sheet for 50-55 minutes, until the filing is set and well browned. Cook on wire rack.

5. Head brandy or water with jam. Brush over the top of the hot tart to glaze. Serve at room temperature.
DeEtta, this recipe is like a great birthday present for me - thank you! ! ! I may not get a chance to make it soon, but I will eventually.

britgirl said:
I am so totally behind with this party. We got back from the Outer Banks on Saturday and am still recovering. Feel like I am in need of a vacation to get over the last one. I did enjoy it. Can I say it was relaxing despite being busy. Had some wonderful early morning walks on the beach at sunrise with my six year old GD, Alexandra. We just talked picked up shells and just enjoyed each other's company.

Sue
Sue, I fully understand how you need a vacation from your vacation. On Sunday afternoon at my sister's I actually took a nap, something I rarely do.......all that sun and fun in the waves had just exhausted me. :sm01:
Glad to hear you had a good time. And thanks for sharing picture of the puffins too.

Babalou said:
Thanks JanetLee.

We are getting a much needed storm. I popped out on the patio to move some things from the rain blowing and caught a double rainbow. The second is not too visible.
Love the rainbow Barbara! I got a pic of a double rainbow about a week ago driving to work. And I did adore the moon on the ocean, lucky you to get a choice bottle of champagne.

1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom