Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
What lovely pictues! Beautiful area.

kaixixang said:
http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/okra/
30 varieties offered by Rareseeds! Now I'm a bit hungry for some fried okra with hot sauce/cayenne!

#20 thread (I hope), #11 needle/hook, and it's 4.25 inches. :sm24:
Very nice!

I happen to like okra also! Yummy!

dragonflylace said:
http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-418518-1.html

Did you all see this lovely Shetland Piece this morning. It is from one of Elizabeth Lovick's books...There are two books with almost the exact title...one is The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting and the other is "Magical Shetland Lace Knitting" This Christening gown is from the "Magical"...title...unfortunatley not the one I own. Just thought you might want to take a look. I might look to see if my library has this second book.
Thank you! So gorgeous!

Babalou said:
Thanks Ronie & DFL. We haven't been to Kauai but it is on our list. When we stayed in Maui, we could see Molokai from our condo. One morning, there was a triple rainbow. So pretty.

Today's pictures will be of Mauna Kea, one of Kona's or the Big Island as many call it, five volcanoes. It is the tallest mountain in the state with 13,802 feet or 4,207 meters above sea level and is the highest point in the state of Hawaii. If measured from the sea floor, it is 33,000 feet (10,000 meters) beating out Mount Everest as the world's tallest mountain from base to summit. Now dormant, it is about a million years old. Because of its high altitude, dry environment, and stable airflow, it is one of the best sites in the world for astronomical observation There are thirteen telescopes funded by eleven countries located at the summit. They are used for scientific research across the electromagnetic spectrum from visible light to radio. Thank you wikipedia for the description.

We decided to drive to the summit to watch the sunset. I told my friend when she was packing that it was very cold there, and indeed it was 24 degrees F or about 4.5 below celsius. Did she believe me? Ok, she brought a hat and socks and had to layer most of her clothes to stay warm. There is an altitude acclimation point at around 9000 feet, and it is much needed. It is very easy to have a slight case of altitude sickness from headaches, dizziness or slight nausea if you don't acclimate. It was a bit easier for us living at 5500 feet. My friend lives in Houston, so it was a must to stop. It is best to use the restroom there, as there are none at the top, and you must drink a lot of water at high altitudes. We pushed our little rental car up the dirt road once the pavement ended, even though it cautioned only four wheel drive vehicles should attempt the drive. We started to slip at one point, but master driver DH got us there.

The view is absolutely amazing. You literally are above the clouds and watching the sunset over the clouds and the sky dripping with stars is a once in a lifetime event. Sadly, pictures of the stars did not take well. Once dark, the observatories started to position and open for their work. I might add that you cannot tour the observatories. As it is a national park, around 8:30, the park rangers begin to shoo you down the mountain. I'm sure they don't want to rescue anyone up there. Enjoy the pictures.
Beautiful! Way to go Kathleen! :sm24: Hubby is a Steeler's fan also. Even bought him a "Terrible Towel" a while back!

Here is one of my current WIPs. It is one of those mindless ones.

Yes, I dyed the yarn. It was an awful mustardy color. The yarn is Araucania, 100% merino wool, 139 yards. I will use most of it for the hat. I always leave a bit to send with the hat just in case there is a need to repairs.

Oh yes, I did the Kool Aid dyeing. I used two grapes and one cherry. Set it out in the sun for about an hour and ended up with this lovely combination.

Attachments

Tamarque, Bonnie and triciad19, thank you. Just another experiment to avoid working with dull yarn!

triciad19 - I saw the dyes at Walmart and they seemed a bit expensive to me. Didn't see any of the yarn you mentioned though.

Babalou said:
Gorgeous color. I may have to try kool aid dying someday.
Thank you. Give it a try. Works best on wool and really good on superwash wool. Cotton was a waste of good Kool Aid!

Norma - Thank you! re-hat

annweb - thank you! I do like orange, especially this time of year with the cidiots are out hunting bear.

Sisu - thank you. I think hubby is going to claim this one. He says it has "manly" colors!

Ronie - thank you! I figured I was only the price of the Kool Aid. The yarn was a "gift" from someone who didn't care for the color.

Julie - that is looking lovely. Hope you are feeling better soon. Head colds are seriously yucky.

Babalou said:
Aloha, today's photos will be of a drive down Ali'i Drive on the west side of the island to the southern tip. By the way, Ali'i, pronounced Ah-lee-ee, refers to the heridetary line of rulers, chief, queen, etc. One thing my sister taught me was that in the Hawaiian language, all the vowels are pronounced. Mahalo (thank you) for looking at my pictures.

The first few are of St. Benedict's Catholic Church, constructed around 1900. Interestingly enough, its address is on Painted Church Road, named for the frescoes inside.
Beautiful views! Wow!

annweb said:
Super Julie.I fancy that pattern.Shake the cold off.
Thanks Barbara for pics.
The recent shawl.
Nice colors!

KittyChris said:
I am amazed that you can get that gorgeous color with 2 grapes and a cherry. I have recently bought a few Kool Aid packets at WalMart. I keep threatening to dye yarn. Someday I will.
So was I! It definitely has a bronze cast to it when in the direct sun light. It is easy. Go ahead and give it a try.

Bonnie7591 said:
I went picking wild blueberries today, they taste so good but sure aren't a joy to pick, crawling in the bush in hands & knees isn't fun when you aren't young???? I may try to pick another pailful in the morning & then can the whole bunch. The wild ones are much smaller than those in the store but have so much more taste.
Well, must get off here & off to bed.
The wild blueberries here are just about the same size as the ones in the stores. They are really ripening up and are seriously competing with the blackberries and black raspberries. Still a very few salmon berries, huck berries, and a couple of others. A person can find a lot to eat right now in the woods if they know where to look and what to look for.

dragonflylace said:
good Morning!!!

Not sure why I am not getting updates, but will chime in to say hello. Working on a solution to a problem with my design...ughhhhh...anyway, all is well and will get pictures when I can.

Love all the pics of Hawaii...the church is so beautiful!!!
I wasn't either! Had to go in and check "watch" all over again. Gremins I guess.

Belle1 said:
--

On a brighter note, I've been playing around with a pattern that I stumbled across for using up scrap yarn. Basically it is a log cabin quilt design done in garter stitch. Thought this might be a good way to use up some more of that Caron Simply Soft that I want to purge from my stash.
That looks good! Nice colors.

Babalou said:
How about some turtles today? These were taken in the tide pool just outside our condo. Kathleen, my friend, is the person in the pictures. In the first picture, you can see the turtle's back. We were really rooting for the turtle to get on the rock. Such a challenge for them. The last picture is of black spiny sea urchins. You really don't want to step on them.
Nice pictures! I remember all the turtles on Oahu when hubby and I visited there in 2006.

tamarque said:
Actually got a bit of knitting done. It is a swatch of an Estonian type pattern by Megan Mills. There are lots of mistakes in this swatch but the pattern is a fun one to do and thought people would like to see it. I never worry about mistakes in swatches. They are done to let me see if I like doing the pattern and to explore the problems it may have for me. I tend to work them until I am comfortable with what it is about. The pattern is here:

http://megan.cc/EstonianStarflower
Stunning! Makes my simple 9 point star look very very simple!

Belle1 said:
Got another square done last night. I continue to think that using the same yarn for the centers as for the outside edges on the blocks (those edges will form a window frame around the blocks) will add the balance I think is needed. By rotating the colors in sequence, there is variety but balance, too. Looking forward to seeing more of this done. Some projects just seem to unfold into a final whole which may or may not match my mental image. Have to run -- today is the monthly girls day and I need to get a couple of pear tarts baked. The first one will be a chocolate pear tart and if I can get to the second it will be an almond pear tart. Catch up with all of you later.
Your blocks look great and the tarts sound delicious!

Bonnie7591 said:
I pick a lot of wild berries-Saskatoons,wild blueberries, Wild chokecherries, high bush cranberries.,they all have so much more taste than the tame varieties.
Yes they do! This morning I almost had to drag hubby away from the berries! They are starting to ferment already and can be really tasty! :sm23:

Babalou said:
This is a collective thank you for your positive comments about my Hawaii photos. Technically, I should say of my husband's photos, as he is the photographer.

Today are some ocean pictures. The surfers are out at the crack of dawn and some bob around all day waiting for the right wave. Maybe you can feel the breeze?
What a beautiful set of photographs! And not only can I feel the breeze, I am also hearing the chimes! :sm02:

1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom