Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Greetings Lace Party-ers and guests. A note to the newcomers: the Lace Party grew out of a workshop hosted by Dragonflylace (a/k/a DFL). The workshop is still here on KP. Everyone is welcome to join us as often as you like at the Lace Party. We share our daily goings-on and, of course, our knitting projects. We do love to see photos, finished projects or WIPs. If you have a question, just ask; someone is sure to answer. Every two weeks, on a pre-arranged schedule, someone hosts a new Lace Party. Sometimes we work on the same project, but we always share whatever we are working on, lace or not. We hope you will join us.

You are invited to join us in knitting lace and sharing your projects. We enjoy pictures, seeing progress Our main requirement is mutual respect for everyone.

This session we are working on WIPs and seeing pictures from my trip to Hawaii. I think we all have things we are trying to finish.

In February, my DH and I decided to spend a month on the big island of Kona in Hawaii. He is an outside kind of guy and feels trapped in the winter. We managed it by inviting our very close friends to spend part of the month with us. My DH is the seeker of great places to stay and found an oceanfront condo for us in Kailua-Kona. One evening I was catching up on the phone with my wonderful friend, Kathleen, in Houston. We decided to have a real girly conversation with wine. As the conversation went on, she asked what trips we were planning. Eventually, I blurted out "you should come for a week!" It took her about 10 seconds to say, "are you kidding me?" And the rest is history.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Nana of 6 said:
You're a very good friend. Great pictures.
She and I have been friends since around 1998. We don't get to see each other often, so it was a real treat to spend time together. It was her first trip to Hawaii.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
mossstitch said:
Beautiful pictures .
How does one hook up with the lace party ??
Welcome Mossstitch. We are glad to have you. If you want to share, let us know a little about you. You will learn about all of us if you follow the party.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Bonnie7591 said:
Thanks for starting a new LP, Barbara. Great photos. Hawaii is such a beautiful place & such a bonus you got to spend time with your good friend. We went about 10 yrs ago for 11 days to Honolulu & Maui. We hope to go again & see the other islands
Thanks, Pam and Bonnie. We went for our first time two years ago and went to Maui, Kona and Honolulu to see Pearl Harbor.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
linda09 said:
Great photos, Barbara. Welcome to new comers. The 4th clue of First Gift is out so that will be my main wip. I'm also working on a dress for a baby and a sweater for myself. Have ideas for next lace project percolating but I need to finish something first.
Thanks, Linda and Norma. And welcome LinaJO! We are happy to have you.

My WIP's are the Eden Prairie shawl which I have finally gotten the hang of. It is not a straight knit. You knit a section then add another and so on. Also, still working a summer sweater and a tunic which may wait and go in the car with me at the end of the month as they are not challenging knits. And I really need to find I my DIL's sweater. It is at the finishing stage and that always puts me off. Oh, and I have a circle sweater that I put in storage last year.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Thanks Ronie & DFL. We haven't been to Kauai but it is on our list. When we stayed in Maui, we could see Molokai from our condo. One morning, there was a triple rainbow. So pretty.

Today's pictures will be of Mauna Kea, one of Kona's or the Big Island as many call it, five volcanoes. It is the tallest mountain in the state with 13,802 feet or 4,207 meters above sea level and is the highest point in the state of Hawaii. If measured from the sea floor, it is 33,000 feet (10,000 meters) beating out Mount Everest as the world's tallest mountain from base to summit. Now dormant, it is about a million years old. Because of its high altitude, dry environment, and stable airflow, it is one of the best sites in the world for astronomical observation There are thirteen telescopes funded by eleven countries located at the summit. They are used for scientific research across the electromagnetic spectrum from visible light to radio. Thank you wikipedia for the description.

We decided to drive to the summit to watch the sunset. I told my friend when she was packing that it was very cold there, and indeed it was 24 degrees F or about 4.5 below celsius. Did she believe me? Ok, she brought a hat and socks and had to layer most of her clothes to stay warm. There is an altitude acclimation point at around 9000 feet, and it is much needed. It is very easy to have a slight case of altitude sickness from headaches, dizziness or slight nausea if you don't acclimate. It was a bit easier for us living at 5500 feet. My friend lives in Houston, so it was a must to stop. It is best to use the restroom there, as there are none at the top, and you must drink a lot of water at high altitudes. We pushed our little rental car up the dirt road once the pavement ended, even though it cautioned only four wheel drive vehicles should attempt the drive. We started to slip at one point, but master driver DH got us there.

The view is absolutely amazing. You literally are above the clouds and watching the sunset over the clouds and the sky dripping with stars is a once in a lifetime event. Sadly, pictures of the stars did not take well. Once dark, the observatories started to position and open for their work. I might add that you cannot tour the observatories. As it is a national park, around 8:30, the park rangers begin to shoo you down the mountain. I'm sure they don't want to rescue anyone up there. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #54 ·
tamarque said:
Barbara--almost neglected to thank your starting our party and with such beautiful photos. Have never heard a negative comment about Hawaii's beauty. You are so fortunate to be able to enjoy it such long lengths of time at a stretch. And great to have a good friend share it with you. Definitely a memory maker.

Did I forget you were doing the Prairie Eden shawl? If I wore shawls, that is one I would make. It is a beauty and will look forward to seeing yours.
Thanks, Tanya. When I get it to the point that it looks less like a blob, I'll post a picture. I'm making it with the yarn I got in Hawaii. It will be a fitting post! I'm still not certain about the colors but my knitting buddy assures me it is beautiful.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
run4fittness said:
Here is one of my current WIPs. It is one of those mindless ones.

Yes, I dyed the yarn. It was an awful mustardy color. The yarn is Araucania, 100% merino wool, 139 yards. I will use most of it for the hat. I always leave a bit to send with the hat just in case there is a need to repairs.

Oh yes, I did the Kool Aid dyeing. I used two grapes and one cherry. Set it out in the sun for about an hour and ended up with this lovely combination.
Gorgeous color. I may have to try kool aid dying someday.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
britgirl said:
Barbara, thanks for sharing your great Hawaii pics.

We arrived in the Outer Banks for a week's stay last night. The trip was ok until we arrived right town here where the traffic was horrendous, taking two hours for the last twenty miles. Now we are here we are relaxing and enjoying it. It is very hot. My oldest daughter, Jennifer, and my GD, Alexandra and I were out at sunrise this morning. I do enjoy seeing that. We also saw dolphins and collected shells. Late morning we were down at the beach a little while playing in the waves.

Sue
Thank you, Sue. We got stipuck in that awful traffic once. Nice that you saw Dolphins.

Discussion starter · #93 ·
Lurker 2 said:
The current WIP- Waiting for Rain with the left overs from the Oatmeal Gansey- it will be nice and warm. I am afraid I am still working from the written instructions. I have come down with a heavy head cold - brain not functioning properly.
Sorry you are under the weather. Your Waiting for Rain is off to a nice start. Feel better soon. ????

Discussion starter · #94 ·
Aloha, today's photos will be of a drive down Ali'i Drive on the west side of the island to the southern tip. By the way, Ali'i, pronounced Ah-lee-ee, refers to the heridetary line of rulers, chief, queen, etc. One thing my sister taught me was that in the Hawaiian language, all the vowels are pronounced. Mahalo (thank you) for looking at my pictures.

The first few are of St. Benedict's Catholic Church, constructed around 1900. Interestingly enough, its address is on Painted Church Road, named for the frescoes inside.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #113 ·
KittyChris said:
Barbara thanks for the lovely tour of Hawaii (I forgot which island you are on). Stunning photos. And I am also totally amazed at the altitude of the volcano.

Was it you that posted that beautiful quilt made with denim on the last LP? I love that one. If I was to start quiltin I would want to make that.
We were on Kona, also called the Big Island.

Wasn't me who posted the quilt, and it was beautiful.

1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom