Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
mossstitch said:
Beautiful pictures .
How does one hook up with the lace party ??
Look like you just have done it! Welcome. While you can get to us via the Daily Digest where we are listed in the Swap, etc section, once you post in a 'party' you will notices whenever there is a new post. Just be aware that we start a new party every 2 weeks and that you have to post at least once to get the notices. Of course, please jump in and post freely. Send pictures as we all love to see the work everyone is doing. Send pictures of your life. We love those, too.

kaixixang said:
http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/okra/
30 varieties offered by Rareseeds! Now I'm a bit hungry for some fried okra with hot sauce/cayenne!

#20 thread (I hope), #11 needle/hook, and it's 4.25 inches. :sm24:
Beautiful doily Karen.

Bookmarked the Rareseeds URL for reference. Bought some Summer Savory couple weeks ago but too late to plant this year. Next year.

Your Southern connection is showing with your love of okra. I loathe it and having picked okra on a farm one summer will never feel good about it. What a horror show that was! Went South to volunteer on a community based farm that needed volunteer labor. We lived on tomatoes, okra and corn for 2 weeks and got hotter and itchier by the day picking the d..n stuff. Was glad to have helped with the harvest, but even gladder not to have to do it again! :sm25:

LinaJO said:
EGAD!!! I just noticed I missed the first "session"...shows you how my life is going right now. Will try to keep up.
Well, you are just like the rest of us. Tuned in this a.m. and already on Page 2. No problem. We are not a formal or structured group. Just lots more personal interconnection than most of the KP forums. Think of us as a local knitting group on line where we chatter incessantly about everything that interests us, support each other in knitting as well in life at large and knit together on various projects that strike our collective fancy. And even on those you can join as you wish, or not. Welcome

Ronie said:
Welcome to the LP... this is a great place to get your WIP's finished up and to learn some new things along the way.. It seems that we are a international group so there is always someone on in here.. :sm01:

Karen thank you so much for the recourse links to the seeds... I don't normally order them from mail order but this year was pitiful with the selections I was able to find.. Plus I like a little more info on a seed besides what the packet says!! I am going into all 3 of them as soon as I sign off here...
And that is another beautiful doily... you do them quite fast too!!
I think the telephone is still one of the better inventions in life. Whenever I want information I do call. Seed companies/distributors always are pretty helpful in providing information and discussing problems in growing. Sign of a good customer oriented business in my book. Usually ends in my being able to make more informed decisions about ordering stuff. Particularly important in buying yarn online.

kaixixang said:
You didn't catch the spineless variety offered! I'm well aware of the prickliness of the majority of Okra. With the sunlight offered by our Northern neighbor I thought she'd try a crop of the spineless Okra for soups, etc.
Besides the stinging during harvesting, the sliminess of it is a big turnoff. I would eat the baby okra breaded and fried. That was like eating eggplant as a kid in eggplant parmigiana--bury the texture and taste so might as well not eat it. I would not eat food prepared like that anymore being far more nutrition and health conscious than I was decades ago. Today I do love eggplant and appreciate the texture it can add to dishes like ratatouille which is coming up for making now that the tomatoes are beginning to come in. Even if I made a baked version of parmagiana, the eggplant would be cut much thicker and not breaded in grains. Probably would much prefer an eggplant and greens lasagna, even one without grain noodles.

dragonflylace said:
http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-418518-1.html

Did you all see this lovely Shetland Piece this morning. It is from one of Elizabeth Lovick's books...There are two books with almost the exact title...one is The Magic of Shetland Lace Knitting and the other is "Magical Shetland Lace Knitting" This Christening gown is from the "Magical"...title...unfortunatley not the one I own. Just thought you might want to take a look. I might look to see if my library has this second book.
that truly is a stunning piece of work!

Ronie said:
That is how my Mother felt about cotton!! I guess during the depression and years after recovering from the depression every hand needed to help get the family's back on their feet!! I'm not sure where she picked the cotton but I can see the pain in her face as she would talk about it... rubbing her fingers each time..
With my Dad's side of the family coming from Oklahoma we were raised with fried Okra and love it!! no recipe was ever handed down.. you just watched and learned.. same with the biscuits.
Early learning does count! :sm02:

kaixixang said:
Try it with ricotta! Even if you develop the cheese from raw it will taste better with the eggplant and other veggies. Slobber!
:sm24:
Now that I totally agree with. Used to have a teeny little Italian woman who made cheese in her garage. She did not speak English and me no Italian but we seemed to communicate quite well. She did several cheeses making whole milk and reduced fat ricotta. OMG! her full fat ricotta was like whipped cream--stuff to die for. I rarely bought it because it was just too good. I did buy her mozzarella and reduced fat ricotta for several years until she stopped making it. Big loss in our community. She used to sell her provolone in some farm market stores.

Barbara--almost neglected to thank your starting our party and with such beautiful photos. Have never heard a negative comment about Hawaii's beauty. You are so fortunate to be able to enjoy it such long lengths of time at a stretch. And great to have a good friend share it with you. Definitely a memory maker.

Did I forget you were doing the Prairie Eden shawl? If I wore shawls, that is one I would make. It is a beauty and will look forward to seeing yours.

Babalou said:
Thanks, Tanya. When I get it to the point that it looks less like a blob, I'll post a picture. I'm making it with the yarn I got in Hawaii. It will be a fitting post! I'm still not certain about the colors but my knitting buddy assures me it is beautiful.
Isn't is great to have another mind to help make decisions. The hardest thing about losing my collective support group years ago.

Bonnie7591 said:
Maybe I can get them to grow if I start them in the house next spring. I like to try one new thing every year. This year was Romanesco cauliflower. The slugs got into some but I had one really nice but small head so far, it looks strange but quite pretty, tastes like regular cauliflower to me.
For those not familiar with it
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanesco_broccoli
I have seen those and usually grown as an ornamental but why not eat if it tastes good.

Belle1 said:
Thanks -- Was just trying to catch up when I looked out my office window and saw a calf by itself in an area we call the barnyard. It was also there Saturday night by itself. Yesterday I saw a couple of cows elsewhere on the property just as we were leaving to deliver the fair goodies. Didn't see them when I returned last night or this morning. But it looks like I have someone's stock on the property. I don't really mind, except there is no available water within my fences and that calf has been too long without his/her Mom. One of the ranchers brought a small herd by last Friday and didn't bother to close the gates -- so it looks like I have a portion of their group, but have no idea who the animals belong to. Honestly, this ticks me off a bit, because the animals aren't being handled well. We have some young people in the valley now who seems to be very cavalier about this kind of thing. I don't want to turn into a grump, but I also don't want their stock getting stranded inside my fences and then tearing the fences down to get out so they can reach water. URgh!!!

It is also cruel to the animals. I get pissed, too, when people move and just leave their pets to wander around. That is how I got my last cat, Tiny, who transitioned 2 yrs ago. Wow, cannot imagine it being so long. I still 'see' him on the property and one of the neighbors cats that he palled with still hangs out here. There must be some way to find out who owns the cows. When I lived on this farm that a friend rented her hogs would constantly break out of their pen. A 125 acre piece of property, these hogs would make a bee line for the neighbors manicured lawn and dig it up in a flash. That owner would bring charges against my friend all the time when this happened. There must be some kind of process to help deal with this problem.

Sorry for the venting, but honestly!!! A calf's value is about $500 and a cow more than double that. I just can't imagine being so careless of either life or property.

Bonnie7591 said:
Ann, lovely shawl, such a pretty color.
Bev, thanks for sharing the great photos from Hawaii, such a pretty place.
DeEtta, great that you managed to pack the tablecloth & get it off to the fair, I'm sure there will be some ribbons come home with it.
Yes, it was me who posted the quilt. I think it will be quite an easy one to do.

I went picking wild blueberries today, they taste so good but sure aren't a joy to pick, crawling in the bush in hands & knees isn't fun when you aren't young???? I may try to pick another pailful in the morning & then can the whole bunch. The wild ones are much smaller than those in the store but have so much more taste.
Well, must get off here & off to bed.
My sympathies to your poor knees and back but the rewards are wonderful

Belle1 said:
Thanks -- Was just trying to catch up when I looked out my office window and saw a calf by itself in an area we call the barnyard. It was also there Saturday night by itself. Yesterday I saw a couple of cows elsewhere on the property just as we were leaving to deliver the fair goodies. Didn't see them when I returned last night or this morning. But it looks like I have someone's stock on the property. I don't really mind, except there is no available water within my fences and that calf has been too long without his/her Mom. One of the ranchers brought a small herd by last Friday and didn't bother to close the gates -- so it looks like I have a portion of their group, but have no idea who the animals belong to. Honestly, this ticks me off a bit, because the animals aren't being handled well. We have some young people in the valley now who seems to be very cavalier about this kind of thing. I don't want to turn into a grump, but I also don't want their stock getting stranded inside my fences and then tearing the fences down to get out so they can reach water. URgh!!!

Sorry for the venting, but honestly!!! A calf's value is about $500 and a cow more than double that. I just can't imagine being so careless of either life or property.
Don't know if this was seen as it was in the wrong place in the reply made last nite--I was sooo tired, so excuse me if you did see this:

It is also cruel to the animals. I get pissed, too, when people move and just leave their pets to wander around. That is how I got my last cat, Tiny, who transitioned 2 yrs ago. Wow, cannot imagine it being so long. I still 'see' him on the property and one of the neighbors cats that he palled with still hangs out here. There must be some way to find out who owns the cows. When I lived on this farm that a friend rented her hogs would constantly break out of their pen. A 125 acre piece of property, these hogs would make a bee line for the neighbors manicured lawn and dig it up in a flash. That owner would bring charges against my friend all the time when this happened. There must be some kind of process to help deal with this problem.

DeEtta--that log cabin is a great design--a classic by now. Great idea to use up the Caron yarn that way and may do the same thing as I have been stewing around about what to make that would work as a gift for little kids. Frankie Brown's 10 st blankets are ones that I have wanted to try out and maybe that would be the ticket.

Sorry the cow issue isn't getting resolved easily. I would call this person back to say you will not be home on a given day and ask that they come the next day or whenever you can work it out soon.

1 - 20 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom