Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1112 Posts

· Registered
13,871 Posts
Bonnie7591 said:
If okra grows in zones 4-10, I sure can't grow it???? We are zone 2
It's a bit late this year...even if I were to consider growing it: https://myfolia.com/plants/416-okra-abelmoschus-esculentus

Try to wait until you have a known month of 59+ Fahrenheit temperatures before you attempt to plant. The PH is described in the link I gave. You said you had higher than usual temperatures...maybe not EVERY year but something to try.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
Hello Mossstitch .Look for your watched topics and you will find Lace Party .I found the hardest thing was remembering who was who . The next two weeks we are concentrating on WIPs while Barbara talks of her holiday .Sometimes we will be trying something different to knit but no oobligation to join the project ,just be there
My grandson is staying ,he is sleeping in so I am still in my nightwear but have blocked a shawl this morning .
Have to think of things to entertain him otherwise he will want to be using his technological gadgets !The wonderful advancements have taken away the outdoor life for many children .Thankfully my grand children are encouraged to take part in a variety of outdoor pursuits .

· Registered
7,655 Posts
Great photos, Barbara. Welcome to new comers. The 4th clue of First Gift is out so that will be my main wip. I'm also working on a dress for a baby and a sweater for myself. Have ideas for next lace project percolating but I need to finish something first.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
annweb said:
Hello Mossstitch .Look for your watched topics and you will find Lace Party .I found the hardest thing was remembering who was who . The next two weeks we are concentrating on WIPs while Barbara talks of her holiday .Sometimes we will be trying something different to knit but no oobligation to join the project ,just be there
My grandson is staying ,he is sleeping in so I am still in my nightwear but have blocked a shawl this morning .
Have to think of things to entertain him otherwise he will want to be using his technological gadgets !The wonderful advancements have taken away the outdoor life for many children .Thankfully my grand children are encouraged to take part in a variety of outdoor pursuits .
Have fun entertaining him, Ann.

· Registered
758 Posts
Well, hi, I've been wanting to join one of your lace parties since it was suggested to me by one of your members. I've been working on the lace workshop but had to take a break to make something for the very ill daughter of a friend...a WIP party sounds just right for me to start with!

· Registered
22,470 Posts
mossstitch said:
Beautiful pictures .
How does one hook up with the lace party ??
Look like you just have done it! Welcome. While you can get to us via the Daily Digest where we are listed in the Swap, etc section, once you post in a 'party' you will notices whenever there is a new post. Just be aware that we start a new party every 2 weeks and that you have to post at least once to get the notices. Of course, please jump in and post freely. Send pictures as we all love to see the work everyone is doing. Send pictures of your life. We love those, too.

· Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
linda09 said:
Great photos, Barbara. Welcome to new comers. The 4th clue of First Gift is out so that will be my main wip. I'm also working on a dress for a baby and a sweater for myself. Have ideas for next lace project percolating but I need to finish something first.
Thanks, Linda and Norma. And welcome LinaJO! We are happy to have you.

My WIP's are the Eden Prairie shawl which I have finally gotten the hang of. It is not a straight knit. You knit a section then add another and so on. Also, still working a summer sweater and a tunic which may wait and go in the car with me at the end of the month as they are not challenging knits. And I really need to find I my DIL's sweater. It is at the finishing stage and that always puts me off. Oh, and I have a circle sweater that I put in storage last year.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
kaixixang said:
http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/okra/
30 varieties offered by Rareseeds! Now I'm a bit hungry for some fried okra with hot sauce/cayenne!

#20 thread (I hope), #11 needle/hook, and it's 4.25 inches. :sm24:
Beautiful doily Karen.

Bookmarked the Rareseeds URL for reference. Bought some Summer Savory couple weeks ago but too late to plant this year. Next year.

Your Southern connection is showing with your love of okra. I loathe it and having picked okra on a farm one summer will never feel good about it. What a horror show that was! Went South to volunteer on a community based farm that needed volunteer labor. We lived on tomatoes, okra and corn for 2 weeks and got hotter and itchier by the day picking the d..n stuff. Was glad to have helped with the harvest, but even gladder not to have to do it again! :sm25:

· Registered
22,470 Posts
LinaJO said:
EGAD!!! I just noticed I missed the first "session"...shows you how my life is going right now. Will try to keep up.
Well, you are just like the rest of us. Tuned in this a.m. and already on Page 2. No problem. We are not a formal or structured group. Just lots more personal interconnection than most of the KP forums. Think of us as a local knitting group on line where we chatter incessantly about everything that interests us, support each other in knitting as well in life at large and knit together on various projects that strike our collective fancy. And even on those you can join as you wish, or not. Welcome

· Registered
6,449 Posts
Thanks Barbara...I love Hawaii...have been to Kauai, Oahu, Molokai (on excursion) and we took one trip where we cruised around the islands and stopped briefly at several. I love the trips where we spend time on one island. Kauai is my favorite one...mainly because it is so protected...not many people and most is protected by parks.

I am doing marathon Olympic watching knitting on my Estonian piece...it is coming along nicely, but not exactly as planned...when I finish this next part, I will let you all take a look and tell me what you think...

· Registered
23,691 Posts
Welcome Mossstitch and Lizmossstitch !! just check your emails you should get a new notice each day.. we can be pretty chatty at times so checking in even if just to read and give a thumbs up will help you stay on top of the subject!! it can jump around too .. LOL We all love lace.. and several times a year several of us will do a pattern together.. that is always fun! but not necessary..
Lizmossstitch did I read that right.. the class didn't want you to use stitch markers??? I'd of done it anyway.. I couldn't knit lace with out them.. LOL

Barbara thank you for getting us started.. I spent the morning in Tricias LP and now to catch up in here... Your hubby sounds like a very adventurous guy... that is good for you.. never a dull moment :sm01: and it is wonderful that you have such a good friend... my best friend and I can get on the phone and talk for hours.. I like the addition of wine to the conversation.. LOL we'd talk until the early morning.. LOL

· Registered
23,691 Posts
tamarque said:
Beautiful doily Karen.

Bookmarked the Rareseeds URL for reference. Bought some Summer Savory couple weeks ago but too late to plant this year. Next year.

Your Southern connection is showing with your love of okra. I loathe it and having picked okra on a farm one summer will never feel good about it. What a horror show that was! Went South to volunteer on a community based farm that needed volunteer labor. We lived on tomatoes, okra and corn for 2 weeks and got hotter and itchier by the day picking the d..n stuff. Was glad to have helped with the harvest, but even gladder not to have to do it again! :sm25:
That is how my Mother felt about cotton!! I guess during the depression and years after recovering from the depression every hand needed to help get the family's back on their feet!! I'm not sure where she picked the cotton but I can see the pain in her face as she would talk about it... rubbing her fingers each time..
With my Dad's side of the family coming from Oklahoma we were raised with fried Okra and love it!! no recipe was ever handed down.. you just watched and learned.. same with the biscuits.

· Registered
23,691 Posts
LinaJO said:
Well, hi, I've been wanting to join one of your lace parties since it was suggested to me by one of your members. I've been working on the lace workshop but had to take a break to make something for the very ill daughter of a friend...a WIP party sounds just right for me to start with!
Welcome to the LP... this is a great place to get your WIP's finished up and to learn some new things along the way.. It seems that we are a international group so there is always someone on in here.. :sm01:

Karen thank you so much for the recourse links to the seeds... I don't normally order them from mail order but this year was pitiful with the selections I was able to find.. Plus I like a little more info on a seed besides what the packet says!! I am going into all 3 of them as soon as I sign off here...
And that is another beautiful doily... you do them quite fast too!!

· Registered
6,449 Posts
LinaJO said:
Welcome LinaJo....you will always find some interesting projects...lots of help, patterns, recipes...pictures, etc. We all help and encourage each other...hope you will have a wonderful time at the Party!!!

· Registered
13,871 Posts
tamarque said:
Beautiful doily Karen.

You didn't catch the spineless variety offered! I'm well aware of the prickliness of the majority of Okra. With the sunlight offered by our Northern neighbor I thought she'd try a crop of the spineless Okra for soups, etc.

· Registered
22,470 Posts
Ronie said:
Welcome to the LP... this is a great place to get your WIP's finished up and to learn some new things along the way.. It seems that we are a international group so there is always someone on in here.. :sm01:

Karen thank you so much for the recourse links to the seeds... I don't normally order them from mail order but this year was pitiful with the selections I was able to find.. Plus I like a little more info on a seed besides what the packet says!! I am going into all 3 of them as soon as I sign off here...
And that is another beautiful doily... you do them quite fast too!!
I think the telephone is still one of the better inventions in life. Whenever I want information I do call. Seed companies/distributors always are pretty helpful in providing information and discussing problems in growing. Sign of a good customer oriented business in my book. Usually ends in my being able to make more informed decisions about ordering stuff. Particularly important in buying yarn online.

21 - 40 of 1112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom