Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1,021 - 1,040 of 1,112 Posts
kaixixang said:
This greenhouse is at Butler University here in Indianapolis. I couldn't resist showing off some of the photos I had that complemented Babalou's photos.

I have more flowers...but I remember this one orchid from Babalou. So I have shown you the two phases. :sm24:
:sm24: :sm24:

run4fittness said:
I used vinegar when I was a teenager. It dried my skin something awful. Now in the garden I usually have on long pants and long sleeves. With the vitiligo it is just safer for me. It is not over my whole body, but enough to cause pain if in the sun very long.
That is too bad. Are you saying you can not be in the sun at all?

On ravelry -->alina-appasov-designs
indian_feathers_8
fiery_salsa
maraschino
sardonyx_scarf
malachite1

I'd love to list the links...but I don't want to be censored by Admin for promotion. The above names are the totally free links among Alina's offerings. :sm23: :sm23: :sm23: My effort to try and supply tempting entries.

Rose, lovely grandchildren.

Barbara, great photos of the trip to Hawaii.the flowers are spectacular.

The blueberry festival turned out great, a few spits of rain & some wind gusts but otherwise good. The pie sold like hot cakes, there were still some left when I came home but I'm sure by the end all will be gone.
I didn't buy much, just some beeswax I will use to make lotion bars for Christmas.
My DIL & her friend had their food wagon there & I think did very well, there were constant line ups for their food &'DS had to go home several times for extra things for them, I hope this makes up for the bust the hr in July. They had been asked to come to the PowWow on the reserve in the next town, expecting to be busy they prepared with lots of food but were greeted with comments of white bitches we won't buy from you, go home????

tamarque said:
That is too bad. Are you saying you can not be in the sun at all?
Only short amounts of time. If I have on long sleeves and long pants and a hat it is not too bad. Warm, but doable. I can be in indirect sunlight, so still get my vitamin D requirements! Plus very short amounts of time in the sun. That is a major reason I get out so early in the morning for my hikes. Out and back before the long sleeves and pants get too over warm! Plus I just happen to like to get out early!

Somehow I have gotten so far behind in responding. I have been lurking and reading though.

I have very much enjoyed all the pictures from Hawaii, Barbara. Thanks so much for sharing. Loved all the beautiful flowers and sunsets and your grand finale. Have a wonderful and safe trip to Yosemite.

Also enjoyed all the gardening discussions, ideas for getting rid of slugs and recipes!

Bev, so glad you had a good time away and such a cute picture of the deer family. Your camping set up sure looked cozy.

Wonderful knitting Julie on your new WFR. The yarn is so perfect for it.

Ros, such beautiful booties and little dress. It is wonderful to see your sweet grandchildren again too.

Sorry if I have missed commenting on some things. Just know I have enjoyed reading it all!

I have still been working steadily on my First Gift Shawl. Also got one potluck mitt finished. I started on the second right away just so I wouldn't get second mitt syndrome :sm01:

Discussion starter · #1,027 ·
kaixixang said:
This greenhouse is at Butler University here in Indianapolis. I couldn't resist showing off some of the photos I had that complemented Babalou's photos.

I have more flowers...but I remember this one orchid from Babalou. So I have shown you the two phases. :sm24:
That is very cool, Karen. I didn't know what it would look like opened.

Karen thank you for the flower pictures I love how it is in both stages... Plus please take care.. it can be very scary being in a 'weather' related warning.. We can get Gale Force warnings and there has been some terrible damage over the years from the rain and wind.. Only when I was in Eastern Oregon did I have to worry about the flooding.. unfortunately my first encounter was just days after we moved to the house on the Ranch and Joe was still in the old place. I was pretty scared but he came out with some of his nephews and I knew if we had to get out of there fast I was in good hands. :)

Janette Lee that has to be pretty nice of you to live in the North West then... today the sun has been trying to come out but it is almost 4pm and it isn't out quite yet.. and we are expecting more clouds tonight.. I hope you are able to get out and enjoy these kinds of days!

Thanks for the link to the Baby Hugs pattern.. I'll have to go back and see the mermaid :sm01: I am going to measure the feet of my 'reborn' doll and see if the preemie size will fit!!

I got my bottles for my Kombucha and they had a book on it too so I got that too.. then they had a half off price sale on the beer making supply's so Joe got plenty of stuff to keep him busy for awhile.. I am so glad I found the book it has answered several questions I have had.. plus lots of recipes!

Since my gardening has been so bad this year we have been thinking of trying on a small scale some hydropontics! There are shops popping up all over.. it seems like every town has one now. Well the guy gave us a magazine and a catalog for us to look through he said if we needed anything they could order it and we would get a 15% discount.. so now we are really thinking hard.. We are cleaning out the shop and we might just designate a area for it.. it is all still in the thinking stage.. I would really like to grow our own veggies someday!

kaixixang said:

Nice pictures Karen. I especially love the color combination on the bud!

Bonnie7591 said:
Rose, lovely grandchildren.

Barbara, great photos of the trip to Hawaii.the flowers are spectacular.

The blueberry festival turned out great, a few spits of rain & some wind gusts but otherwise good. The pie sold like hot cakes, there were still some left when I came home but I'm sure by the end all will be gone.
I didn't buy much, just some beeswax I will use to make lotion bars for Christmas.
My DIL & her friend had their food wagon there & I think did very well, there were constant line ups for their food &'DS had to go home several times for extra things for them, I hope this makes up for the bust the hr in July. They had been asked to come to the PowWow on the reserve in the next town, expecting to be busy they prepared with lots of food but were greeted with comments of white bitches we won't buy from you, go home????
Glad the blueberry festival turned out so good for you. Nice to have all your work pay off.
That is too bad about the experience your DIL and friend had at the pow wow. Didn't they have to sign up before hand and get accepted to be there? That sure must have been very hurtful for them - sad.

Ronie said:
Karen thank you for the flower pictures I love how it is in both stages... Plus please take care.. it can be very scary being in a 'weather' related warning.. We can get Gale Force warnings and there has been some terrible damage over the years from the rain and wind.. Only when I was in Eastern Oregon did I have to worry about the flooding.. unfortunately my first encounter was just days after we moved to the house on the Ranch and Joe was still in the old place. I was pretty scared but he came out with some of his nephews and I knew if we had to get out of there fast I was in good hands. :)

Janette Lee that has to be pretty nice of you to live in the North West then... today the sun has been trying to come out but it is almost 4pm and it isn't out quite yet.. and we are expecting more clouds tonight.. I hope you are able to get out and enjoy these kinds of days!

Thanks for the link to the Baby Hugs pattern.. I'll have to go back and see the mermaid :sm01: I am going to measure the feet of my 'reborn' doll and see if the preemie size will fit!!

I got my bottles for my Kombucha and they had a book on it too so I got that too.. then they had a half off price sale on the beer making supply's so Joe got plenty of stuff to keep him busy for awhile.. I am so glad I found the book it has answered several questions I have had.. plus lots of recipes!

Since my gardening has been so bad this year we have been thinking of trying on a small scale some hydropontics! There are shops popping up all over.. it seems like every town has one now. Well the guy gave us a magazine and a catalog for us to look through he said if we needed anything they could order it and we would get a 15% discount.. so now we are really thinking hard.. We are cleaning out the shop and we might just designate a area for it.. it is all still in the thinking stage.. I would really like to grow our own veggies someday!
Sounds like you had a successful trip to town today Ronie. Glad you got your kombucha bottles and a good book too. I thought of doing hydroponics at one time and researched it. It seemed too expensive for us at the time, but I really liked the whole idea of it.

Babalou said:
Here we go for our final tour of the big island. Thanks all for your comments and for coming along on the ride. Thought I would load pictures more than normal; like the ending of fireworks where they give it all they've got. Ok, kind of like that. Most are from the tropical garden. The last is a sunset view from our condo. Aloha and mahalo nui loa (thank you very much).
Absolutely gorgeous and wonderful! xxxooo

Ronie said:
Yes, it is good for me! I get out in all kinds of weather. Hubby won't go out when it is misty and rainy, but I do. I won't melt or dissolve!

It was clear early this morning. Clouded up around 10 am and has been cloudy and breezy ever since. A nice change.

run4fittness said:
Yes, it is good for me! I get out in all kinds of weather. Hubby won't go out when it is misty and rainy, but I do. I won't melt or dissolve!

It was clear early this morning. Clouded up around 10 am and has been cloudy and breezy ever since. A nice change.
I like to be out early, too, for my walks. And this cooler weather today and the next several days is definitely a welcome and nice change. :sm02: :sm02:

sisu said:
Somehow I have gotten so far behind in responding. I have been lurking and reading though.

I have very much enjoyed all the pictures from Hawaii, Barbara. Thanks so much for sharing. Loved all the beautiful flowers and sunsets and your grand finale. Have a wonderful and safe trip to Yosemite.

Also enjoyed all the gardening discussions, ideas for getting rid of slugs and recipes!

Bev, so glad you had a good time away and such a cute picture of the deer family. Your camping set up sure looked cozy.

Wonderful knitting Julie on your new WFR. The yarn is so perfect for it.

Ros, such beautiful booties and little dress. It is wonderful to see your sweet grandchildren again too.

Sorry if I have missed commenting on some things. Just know I have enjoyed reading it all!

I have still been working steadily on my First Gift Shawl. Also got one potluck mitt finished. I started on the second right away just so I wouldn't get second mitt syndrome :sm01:
Thank you, Caryn- it is a treat to work.

run4fittness said:
Nice setup! Looks like you have pretty much everything you need! :sm24:
Thanks, we sure did. It was a great week. :D:D Thanks to Chris also. And Caryn. :D:D

Yes, thank you Ros for the stitch pattern. I will get it copied off. :D:D You are knitting up a storm. Gorgeous work. Lovely pics of Jackson. How does he stay so cute??

Thanks, Barbara, for this tour of Hawaii. Great finale! Great pics. Have a blast at Yosemite.

JanetLee, so sorry to hear of your sensitivity to the sun. It sounds like you have gotten it figured out, but it must be frustrating sometimes.

Nice pics, Karen. Take care and stay dry.

Thank you, Barbara, for hosting this past LP. Your photos are fantastic! What a wonderful trip to Hawaii you had. :sm02:

DeEtta, your next LP will be just what we need - time to work on WIPs. :sm24:

I was asked to be on a knitting relay team in the Doghouse during the Olympics. I thought a hard week of knitting would do the job, plus I challenged the ladies in the Loft to make progress on their WIPs - piece of cake, I thought. Wrong! :sm06: I finished the Summer Games Shawl the last day of the Olympics and ran out the door to celebrate our 29th anniversary with DH. We were gone for 3 days, we got a kitten last week and a puppy yesterday. I'm playing catch up in a big way.

You have all been in my thoughts and have been missed. :sm02:

Each section of the SG shawl represents sporting events in the Olympic Games. There were four members on each team. We started the day the games opened and had to knit up through our section, post the photo, then the next person on the team could post their section when they got it completed. It was a lot of fun to do.

Pattern Duchess (Mari-Liis) is hosting an Estonian Shawl Workshop for those who get her newsletter. I have learned things already. :sm01:

Attachments

Barbara has given us a great 2 weeks while sharing her month long vacation earlier this year to Hawaii. It was incredible looking at the lovely water and seeing the trees gently bending in the breezes while, at least, I was sweltering in the 100+ degree heat. It was a great aid for taking a mental vacation that I very much needed. Hot or not, at least my house is air conditioned so I've been staying in and getting a lot of knitting done. I've started a new Lace Party at:

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-420645-1.html#9548030

So please come on over and join in for 2 weeks of WIPs, life in general, and for the USA'rs our last extended holiday for the summer.

See you there.

1,021 - 1,040 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom