Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1,061 - 1,080 of 1,112 Posts
tamarque said:
JanetLee--that sun sensitivity is really a sorrow. Hope you get your Vit D levels tested and avail yourself of a good Vit D3 supplement.

Those bears can be tricky. My DIL has bear that walk right by their front door and get into the garbage cans no matter how much they tie the covers down. It is a little disconcerting with a small 5 yr old to watch over. We have city people that hunt on my road and have been known to shoot people's dogs. I used to try and keep my kids in during hunting season and warn them of the racism of a lot of these people who would shoot them out of frustration if they couldn't down a deer. It has been a problem around here diminished only by the development which removed some of the hunting terrain close by. Not happy about that development but it has moved the city hunters a bit further away.
Yes, it can be a problem, but I have learned to live with it. My Vit D levels are great, and I do take a supplement. There are others in my family with it also. I have read that it is mostly darker skinned folks who get it. Of course I am the only light skinned, freckled, used to be redhead, in the family! Looks funny since we have a huge slice of Cherokee in us. :sm26: I do stand out at family gatherings!

It is not the bears I mind as it is the hunters with no clue. They are the reason I wear the bright orange vest and hat this time of year. :sm06:

run4fittness said:
Yes, it can be a problem, but I have learned to live with it. My Vit D levels are great, and I do take a supplement. There are others in my family with it also. I have read that it is mostly darker skinned folks who get it. Of course I am the only light skinned, freckled, used to be redhead, in the family! Looks funny since we have a huge slice of Cherokee in us. :sm26: I do stand out at family gatherings!

It is not the bears I mind as it is the hunters with no clue. They are the reason I wear the bright orange vest and hat this time of year. :sm06:
We have a similar sort of problem here, with trigger happy deer hunters shooting sometimes their own family, or those of another hunting party, dead, for careless discharge at any movement.

run4fittness said:

I do remember in other KP forums you saying you are part Native American. I guess it is the non-part that is sun sensitive. My understanding is that darker skin with its higher levels of melatonin tends to limit the amount of Vit D formed with sun exposure while also protecting against burning. It is also the reason Vit D deficiency is greater in darker skinned people. My daughter, OTH, with her darker skin is very subject to sunburn. I directed her to up her Vit D before she went to Haiti one summer to help prevent sunburn, 10K i.u. daily, and it helped a lot. Being out in the sharp semi-tropic sun for 2 weeks she suffered no burning.

Glad you have it under control.

Bonnie7591 said:
They were asked to come, I'm not sure by who but I think it was someone on band council but there wasn't a "sign up" .
DILs aunt is the health nurse there & DIL works for the ambulance & knows many of the people.
They were very upset & lost $$ for the perishable items they bought & the food they prepared that couldn't be frozen or saved.
That whole incident turns my stomach... I can remember the nasty remarks made way back in the 60's.. you would think that those people would of grown by now.. they just show their ignorance and prejudice in a way that was more harmful to them than they were to your friends.. it takes far more energy to be hateful than it does to be kind and to let what you don't like or understand to just pass you by... they didn't need to eat their food but they also didn't need to comment anything on it either..

I lived close to the Indian reservation in Arizona and they didn't like their 'white' mailman.. and took her and killed her.. that was in the 80's and I remember being terrified to go outside or even let my daughter ride the bus...it was a isolated incident and not all on the Reservation felt the same way... but it was still scary... I changed my daughters school to a school close to where I worked and they were fine with it... now you have to go to school in your own district..

tamarque said:
Toni--is the Mari-Lis Estonian Workshop being done thru her newsletter? i will try to find it but if you have a URL that would be appreciated.
Yes, her workshop is via her newsletter and a private facebook page that you request permission to join. It is quite fun to see the variations of shawls developing.

I believe our beloved DFL spoke of the double strand cast on. It is amazing how different it looks - maybe I'm just getting more experienced and starting to "see" the differences finally. :sm08:

TLL said:
Thank you, Barbara, for hosting this past LP. Your photos are fantastic! What a wonderful trip to Hawaii you had. :sm02:

DeEtta, your next LP will be just what we need - time to work on WIPs. :sm24:

I was asked to be on a knitting relay team in the Doghouse during the Olympics. I thought a hard week of knitting would do the job, plus I challenged the ladies in the Loft to make progress on their WIPs - piece of cake, I thought. Wrong! :sm06: I finished the Summer Games Shawl the last day of the Olympics and ran out the door to celebrate our 29th anniversary with DH. We were gone for 3 days, we got a kitten last week and a puppy yesterday. I'm playing catch up in a big way.

You have all been in my thoughts and have been missed. :sm02:

Each section of the SG shawl represents sporting events in the Olympic Games. There were four members on each team. We started the day the games opened and had to knit up through our section, post the photo, then the next person on the team could post their section when they got it completed. It was a lot of fun to do.

Pattern Duchess (Mari-Liis) is hosting an Estonian Shawl Workshop for those who get her newsletter. I have learned things already. :sm01:
Toni I love it!!! you did a great job with it... I really wanted to join in.. but I would of never gotten it past the star! :)

run4fittness said:
Yes it is nice! The sun is setting and peeking out now. Lovely colors out there!

Of course with it being bear season right now I have to be extra careful in the early mornings. I have an orange vest and orange hat I wear so they cidiot hunters know I am a human and not a bear!
I love that term Cidiot's it fits them perfectly! I was surprised that last week when we went to the dump (transfer station..LOL) that I saw some Skat.. I take the dogs for a walk down the road and was very grateful for the few cars that drove by... I knew that I could fend it off for the few seconds it would take to get the attention of someone.. LOL but I'll be much more careful from now on.. I have never seen a bear out there but he was there that's for sure.. maybe I need blow horn for my walks now..

run4fittness said:

You have similar blood lines as I do!! :) my hair is not red but has reddish highlights to it... and like you say.. a Large Slice of Cherokee!! :sm01: I do have the freckles too...

Ronie said:
That whole incident turns my stomach... I can remember the nasty remarks made way back in the 60's.. you would think that those people would of grown by now.. they just show their ignorance and prejudice in a way that was more harmful to them than they were to your friends.. it takes far more energy to be hateful than it does to be kind and to let what you don't like or understand to just pass you by... they didn't need to eat their food but they also didn't need to comment anything on it either..

I lived close to the Indian reservation in Arizona and they didn't like their 'white' mailman.. and took her and killed her.. that was in the 80's and I remember being terrified to go outside or even let my daughter ride the bus...it was a isolated incident and not all on the Reservation felt the same way... but it was still scary... I changed my daughters school to a school close to where I worked and they were fine with it... now you have to go to school in your own district..
It would be nice if people related out of kindness but without honesty for the harm caused to others along with empathy for other people's situations that will not change the culture that we have. I can only imagine people of color will 'get over it' when we have a society that stops abusing them. Some people may be able to 'pass' as a means of getting along, but that is not an opportunity for large numbers of people. it just helps to create blinders. I always think of the adage about not judging others "until you walk a mile in their shoes." I believe that came from an old Native American adage and without that empathy only negative judgement ensues.

Ronie said:
I love that term Cidiot's it fits them perfectly! I was surprised that last week when we went to the dump (transfer station..LOL) that I saw some Skat.. I take the dogs for a walk down the road and was very grateful for the few cars that drove by... I knew that I could fend it off for the few seconds it would take to get the attention of someone.. LOL but I'll be much more careful from now on.. I have never seen a bear out there but he was there that's for sure.. maybe I need blow horn for my walks now..
Feel free to use the term anytime!

A few years back there were some places where cidiots were baiting bears with old pastries. A few reports to the Critter Control folks put a stop to that! With all the berry bushes around here there really is not need to bait them! Just get there early in the morning and wait for the bear to come by for a snack! I am so glad they haven't figured that one out!

Yes, be careful. So far I have been a decent distance from them or able to scare them off. After I take some pictures of course!

Ronie said:
You have similar blood lines as I do!! :) my hair is not red but has reddish highlights to it... and like you say.. a Large Slice of Cherokee!! :sm01: I do have the freckles too...
Thanks for the giggle! I have known several Cherokee and we all have freckles! I used to think it was a "white" thing, but it isn't! I still have a few red hairs mixed in with the silver/gray/whatever.

tamarque said:
It would be nice if people related out of kindness but without honesty for the harm caused to others along with empathy for other people's situations that will not change the culture that we have. I can only imagine people of color will 'get over it' when we have a society that stops abusing them. Some people may be able to 'pass' as a means of getting along, but that is not an opportunity for large numbers of people. it just helps to create blinders. I always think of the adage about not judging others "until you walk a mile in their shoes." I believe that came from an old Native American adage and without that empathy only negative judgement ensues.
:sm24: :sm24:

run4fittness said:
Thanks for the giggle! I have known several Cherokee and we all have freckles! I used to think it was a "white" thing, but it isn't! I still have a few red hairs mixed in with the silver/gray/whatever.
Where do you think the red hair/freckles come from genetically? There always were intermarriages and rapes galore from the army as well as cowboys and settlers.

tamarque said:
Where do you think the red hair/freckles come from genetically? There always were intermarriages and rapes galore from the army as well as cowboys and settlers.
Oh dear, I just laughed out loud and hope the neighbors were not scared! The dog did stop barking for a while though!

I know, all the mixing will result on some interesting results. Sad to think so much of it was rape but it was.

My mother always wanted a red head son and wanted to name him Mike. She got me instead. Still think that one is funny.

Lurker 2 said:
We have a similar sort of problem here, with trigger happy deer hunters shooting sometimes their own family, or those of another hunting party, dead, for careless discharge at any movement.
Reminds me of the story of a hunter that the game wardens could not convince had shot a horse instead of a deer, even though it was wearing shoes (horseshoes) :sm12:

run4fittness said:
Oh dear, I just laughed out loud and hope the neighbors were not scared! The dog did stop barking for a while though!

I know, all the mixing will result on some interesting results. Sad to think so much of it was rape but it was.

My mother always wanted a red head son and wanted to name him Mike. She got me instead. Still think that one is funny.
What was her thing about a red head, much less a son? Was she Native American? People develop such funny/strange goals and standards with some pretty unusual thinking.

tamarque said:
What was her thing about a red head, much less a son? Was she Native American? People develop such funny/strange goals and standards with some pretty unusual thinking.
With her? Who knows. Untreated mental problems all her life. Maybe she had a good "encounter" with a red headed man and she wanted a reminder.

Yes, I get the Cherokee from both sides of my family. Her faternal grandmother was 100% Cherokee. Her dad looked it also! Talk about thick black hair. She had that hair also.

Talking about red highlights, my brother and sister have/had the rich blue black hair. Of course now both of them are more gray than black. I was the only one who was different. I have read that red is a recessive gene, so it but have been on both sides for me to end up with it. Wish it was still red, but such is life and I am not going to dye it! That would be silly. It was a dark rich red. Too difficult to match probably. I don't have any pictures of me from that time. My house burned down years ago and then with being dis-owned, I really don't have any momentos to speak of. Such is life!

run4fittness said:
With her? Who knows. Untreated mental problems all her life. Maybe she had a good "encounter" with a red headed man and she wanted a reminder.

Yes, I get the Cherokee from both sides of my family. Her faternal grandmother was 100% Cherokee. Her dad looked it also! Talk about thick black hair. She had that hair also.

Talking about red highlights, my brother and sister have/had the rich blue black hair. Of course now both of them are more gray than black. I was the only one who was different. I have read that red is a recessive gene, so it but have been on both sides for me to end up with it. Wish it was still red, but such is life and I am not going to dye it! That would be silly. It was a dark rich red. Too difficult to match probably. I don't have any pictures of me from that time. My house burned down years ago and then with being dis-owned, I really don't have any momentos to speak of. Such is life!
Yes, red is recessive as I recall so there were other gene sets that got into that Cherokee gene pool. Those recessives can hang around a heck of a long time throughout the generations waiting to raise their little red heads.

Losing your house to a fire is awful. I lost mine in 1985 and there are still moments when it all comes back or certain things I had are really missed all over again. Being dis-owned on top of that is quite a bit of loss and tragedy in life, plus losing children. Some very hard times there. Don't want to probe more and awaken old hurts. It takes a lot of inner strength to withstand such major tragedies and to come thru with humor and positive energy really makes you a winner.

1,061 - 1,080 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom