Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1,041 - 1,060 of 1,112 Posts
TLL said:
...I was asked to be on a knitting relay team in the Doghouse during the Olympics. I thought a hard week of knitting would do the job, plus I challenged the ladies in the Loft to make progress on their WIPs - piece of cake, I thought. Wrong! :sm06: I finished the Summer Games Shawl the last day of the Olympics and ran out the door to celebrate our 29th anniversary with DH. We were gone for 3 days, we got a kitten last week and a puppy yesterday. I'm playing catch up in a big way.
Wow Toni -- A lot of work, one could say Olympic in proportion. Nice to have you back with us.

TLL said:
Thank you, Barbara, for hosting this past LP. Your photos are fantastic! What a wonderful trip to Hawaii you had. :sm02:

DeEtta, your next LP will be just what we need - time to work on WIPs. :sm24:

I was asked to be on a knitting relay team in the Doghouse during the Olympics. I thought a hard week of knitting would do the job, plus I challenged the ladies in the Loft to make progress on their WIPs - piece of cake, I thought. Wrong! :sm06: I finished the Summer Games Shawl the last day of the Olympics and ran out the door to celebrate our 29th anniversary with DH. We were gone for 3 days, we got a kitten last week and a puppy yesterday. I'm playing catch up in a big way.

You have all been in my thoughts and have been missed. :sm02:

Each section of the SG shawl represents sporting events in the Olympic Games. There were four members on each team. We started the day the games opened and had to knit up through our section, post the photo, then the next person on the team could post their section when they got it completed. It was a lot of fun to do.

Pattern Duchess (Mari-Liis) is hosting an Estonian Shawl Workshop for those who get her newsletter. I have learned things already. :sm01:
Your Summer Games Shawl is very lovely! I like the solid color much better than some of the others. Brings out the design more for me.

Miss Pam said:
I like to be out early, too, for my walks. And this cooler weather today and the next several days is definitely a welcome and nice change. :sm02: :sm02:
Yes it is nice! The sun is setting and peeking out now. Lovely colors out there!

Of course with it being bear season right now I have to be extra careful in the early mornings. I have an orange vest and orange hat I wear so they cidiot hunters know I am a human and not a bear!

Discussion starter · #1,046 ·
kaixixang said:
On ravelry -->alina-appasov-designs
indian_feathers_8
fiery_salsa
maraschino
sardonyx_scarf
malachite1

I'd love to list the links...but I don't want to be censored by Admin for promotion. The above names are the totally free links among Alina's offerings. :sm23: :sm23: :sm23: My effort to try and supply tempting entries.
Her patterns are really pretty. Thanks.

Toni--good to see you again. It sure has been a busy season for you. That Summer Games shawl is beautiful. Great knitting and a lot of it.

I do get the Mari-Lis newsletter but haven't been reading it much. Maybe I should pay closer attention to it.

Taking on a new kitten and puppy? What a glutton for punishment :sm09: Didn't you take in another kitten this past year?

Happy Anniversary to you, too. Hope you had a good time.

JanetLee--that sun sensitivity is really a sorrow. Hope you get your Vit D levels tested and avail yourself of a good Vit D3 supplement.

Those bears can be tricky. My DIL has bear that walk right by their front door and get into the garbage cans no matter how much they tie the covers down. It is a little disconcerting with a small 5 yr old to watch over. We have city people that hunt on my road and have been known to shoot people's dogs. I used to try and keep my kids in during hunting season and warn them of the racism of a lot of these people who would shoot them out of frustration if they couldn't down a deer. It has been a problem around here diminished only by the development which removed some of the hunting terrain close by. Not happy about that development but it has moved the city hunters a bit further away.

sisu said:
Glad the blueberry festival turned out so good for you. Nice to have all your work pay off.
That is too bad about the experience your DIL and friend had at the pow wow. Didn't they have to sign up before hand and get accepted to be there? That sure must have been very hurtful for them - sad.
They were asked to come, I'm not sure by who but I think it was someone on band council but there wasn't a "sign up" .
DILs aunt is the health nurse there & DIL works for the ambulance & knows many of the people.
They were very upset & lost $$ for the perishable items they bought & the food they prepared that couldn't be frozen or saved.

TLL said:
Thank you, Barbara, for hosting this past LP. Your photos are fantastic! What a wonderful trip to Hawaii you had. :sm02:

I was asked to be on a knitting relay team in the Doghouse during the Olympics. I thought a hard week of knitting would do the job, plus I challenged the ladies in the Loft to make progress on their WIPs - piece of cake, I thought. Wrong! :sm06: I finished the Summer Games Shawl the last day of the Olympics and ran out the door to celebrate our 29th anniversary with DH. We were gone for 3 days, we got a kitten last week and a puppy yesterday. I'm playing catch up in a big way.

Each section of the SG shawl represents sporting events in the Olympic Games. There were four members on each team. We started the day the games opened and had to knit up through our section, post the photo, then the next person on the team could post their section when they got it completed. It was a lot of fun to do.

Pattern Duchess (Mari-Liis) is hosting an Estonian Shawl Workshop for those who get her newsletter. I have learned things already. :sm01:
Lovely knitting.
I also signed up for that workshop but have yet to participate, just too much garden, canning & babysitting just lately to do any knitting. I also don't have any suitable yarn in my stash, will have to get to the city or mail order something but hope to still get at it

A wonderful set of pics to end your weeks Barbara .Again many thanks and enjoy the next adventure .
Karen be careful and thanks for the pics .
Ronie ..sounds like you had a very productive and happy day out .
Toni ,a beautiful shawl .I suppose kittens are quite a necessity on a farm and dogs too .
Bonnie ,it is so sad that people are unable to be tolerant of each other .
Caryn ,good to see you .
Bev ,have you caught up after your return from holidays ?
I have been held up with my shawl as the beads ,which I had expected to arrive on Fri.have yet to appear.

TLL said:

You have all been in my thoughts and have been missed.

Oh my Toni. That is a lot to take on! But how exciting to have a new puppy and AND kitty. Hope we get to see them. Your Summer Games Shawl is beautiful. That was fun to be a spectator to, as well. I enjoyed watching the competition and seeing how fast you all were at getting your parts done!
Your new Estonian start is looking wonderful too.

Thanks, Ann. Yes, I feel like I have caught up. A few things need to be done yet, but the major things are done.

Bonnie, I skimmed a lot of LP and skipped a bunch of pages also. So, I do not know the details, but so sorry for your DIL's family and the pow wow. It doesn't sound like a happy one.

Bonnie7591 said:
They were asked to come, I'm not sure by who but I think it was someone on band council but there wasn't a "sign up" .
DILs aunt is the health nurse there & DIL works for the ambulance & knows many of the people.
They were very upset & lost $$ for the perishable items they bought & the food they prepared that couldn't be frozen or saved.
That is really too bad and kind of strange. I guess they will not be doing that venue again. Glad they had a much better time at the blueberry festival!

Barbara, thanks so much for hosting us with a wonderful vacation in Hawaii. I loved all those pictures, especially the garden. About 15 years ago I was planning to take a trip to Hawaii with a dear friend but somehow that never happened, so I got to see yours! Probably a good thing as I was single for only a couple years and I might have done something foolish while on vacation. ????☺

Toni, what a gorgeous shawl. I'm sorry to say that I didn't work on any WIPs during the Olympics, just the current pair of socks.
I do plan on moving closer to the job soon so hopefully by October I will have more knitting time.

Bonnie, what a shame that DIL had to experience the loss of $$ because of that.

Karen, thanks for sharing the before and after photos of that orchid. Amazing!

Discussion starter · #1,058 ·
TLL said:

Your shawl is absolutely stunning, Toni. I have been thinking of making a solid color that would go with everything. I think white might be the ticket!

Bonnie--based on how i see others respond, I think my understanding and response to your DIL's unhappy experience is quite different. I am sorry she was the recipient of hostile behavior. That is never comfortable. However, given the virulence of racism against Native Americans in Canada as well as in the US, I also understand the anger that many Native Americans feel toward Caucasians who are the controlling group. The nature of racism is such that it is so embedded in the society that it is very hard to separate the individuals from the group that represents the power structure. I can say that more than once have I been in that same situation where the response was way more hostile and downright violent against me. There was one time that I was invited to participate in a group where some were not accepting and took out their historical pain and rage on me physically as I was in their territory and accessible. In that situation I was a lot closer than your DIL who was there as an outside vendor. I was living with these people and quite far from my home so there was no get in your car and drive home possibility. It was also very divisive for that group and they went thru their changes just as I had to resolve my feelings. But they were not going to do that in front of me. Believe it or not, I was invited back the next year and did go. I was assured that the offending person had been dealt with and the group would not allow such a reaction again. Having much experience in dealing with racism from many sides, I saw how difficult it was for them to resolve this situation within themselves. For my part it took some soul searching to keep perspective and see the problem from the bigger picture and know that it was not me personally, but the conditions of our society that understandably cause pain and distrust. I would venture a guess that the NA people went thru their own internal discussions over the situation with your DIL. And I can tell you that I have seen the same behavior when dealing with radical feminists years ago when even male babies were not allowed in women's spaces. That may sound strange to you but it was not to people who were processing their own rage over the sexism that prevailed, and still does. Many of these women were survivors of rape and other forms or assault and repression. The women's movement went thru a period when it needed to take a separatist position while working thru the historical roots of oppression. Not wanting to get heavily into this so my few words here may not communicate what I wish them to do, but hope this provides some thought for greater understanding and perspective. Without confronting the roots of these problems and taking collective responsibility we will never be able to resolve them and that i know unequivocally.

1,041 - 1,060 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom