Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1,101 - 1,112 of 1,112 Posts
run4fittness said:
Feel free to use the term anytime!

A few years back there were some places where cidiots were baiting bears with old pastries. A few reports to the Critter Control folks put a stop to that! With all the berry bushes around here there really is not need to bait them! Just get there early in the morning and wait for the bear to come by for a snack! I am so glad they haven't figured that one out!

Yes, be careful. So far I have been a decent distance from them or able to scare them off. After I take some pictures of course!
About 10 yrs ago some really smart tourists in Banff thought it would be cute to get a photo of a bear taking food from their sons hands, they put honey on his hand, the little boy, about 6-8 I think was killed.
Last year in Jasper we saw a grizzly on the side of the road & a fool trying to get close, he was at least 1/4 mile from his car, to take pictures.
How can people be so stupid.

run4fittness said:
With her? Who knows. Untreated mental problems all her life. Maybe she had a good "encounter" with a red headed man and she wanted a reminder.

Yes, I get the Cherokee from both sides of my family. Her faternal grandmother was 100% Cherokee. Her dad looked it also! Talk about thick black hair. She had that hair also.

Talking about red highlights, my brother and sister have/had the rich blue black hair. Of course now both of them are more gray than black. I was the only one who was different. I have read that red is a recessive gene, so it but have been on both sides for me to end up with it. Wish it was still red, but such is life and I am not going to dye it! That would be silly. It was a dark rich red. Too difficult to match probably. I don't have any pictures of me from that time. My house burned down years ago and then with being dis-owned, I really don't have any momentos to speak of. Such is life!
My mom came from a family of red heads, I have red highlight but my sister is strawberry blond
I can't imagine losing both children & your house & all your mementos, as others said, you are a strong woman

Bonnie7591 said:
My mom came from a family of red heads, I have red highlight but my sister is strawberry blond
I can't imagine losing both children & your house & all your mementos, as others said, you are a strong woman
Remember the "Footprints in the Sand"? There is a lot of sand under my feet with only one set of prints.

Bonnie7591 said:
About 10 yrs ago some really smart tourists in Banff thought it would be cute to get a photo of a bear taking food from their sons hands, they put honey on his hand, the little boy, about 6-8 I think was killed.
Last year in Jasper we saw a grizzly on the side of the road & a fool trying to get close, he was at least 1/4 mile from his car, to take pictures.
How can people be so stupid.
That is horrible! Let me guess, the parents were not even fined.

The fool on the side of the road was lucky. I remember coming face to face with a grizzly and I swear my heart was trying to jump out of my chest. Thank goodness the grizzly was just as startled as me and took off at a run.

Bonnie7591 said:
I have always said, I don't care if you are black, white or green, act decent & you will be treated that way. I worked 35 yrs in the hospital & rarely had problems even with the drunks. It seems to me the people near my age are fine but many of the younger ones are very anti-white. Had the girls just decided on their own to show up, they /I wouldn't have been upset but when asked to come you don't expect that treatment.
I agree that treating people with decency is a good beginning. However, racism and other forms of prejudice and bigotry is much too complicated to even begin a discussion here. And today this is an especially sensitive issue for me as I just spent all day in Federal Court supporting a Black woman hired by some 'decent' white people because she was Black and then fired her because she was Black and doing her job infinitely better than her white co-guidance counselors. I had to sit there and listen to some of the most classic racist crap in a case being heard by a jury of white working class people who looked like they couldn't understand most of what was being said as their life experiences were just too limited and watch them zone out half the time. So I will state that this conversation should not be happening here. At some other point I can be free privately to discuss it.

eshlemania said:
Oh, Bonnie, what a horrible story about the bear and little boy. How can parents be so stupid?
My definition of Stupid----Ignorance (a state of not knowing) + Arrogance (an unwillingness to learn). This explains a lot of people's behavior and belief systems.

tamarque said:
I agree that treating people with decency is a good beginning. However, racism and other forms of prejudice and bigotry is much too complicated to even begin a discussion here. And today this is an especially sensitive issue for me as I just spent all day in Federal Court supporting a Black woman hired by some 'decent' white people because she was Black and then fired her because she was Black and doing her job infinitely better than her white co-guidance counselors. I had to sit there and listen to some of the most classic racist crap in a case being heard by a jury of white working class people who looked like they couldn't understand most of what was being said as their life experiences were just too limited and watch them zone out half the time. So I will state that this conversation should not be happening here. At some other point I can be free privately to discuss it.
I agree that continuing this "topic" too long can only erode immediate tolerances. Try the reverse situation where a white woman wanted to attend a college that is predominantly attended by black people in Mississippi. Her employer fired her after only a month because of her "choice" of colleges. She was only trying for a journalism major...where does it matter what college is chosen? Mom's story...not mine.

1,101 - 1,112 of 1,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom