Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1108 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Lace Party-ers and guests. The Lace Party grew out of a lace workshop hosted by Dragonflylace (a/k/a DFL) several years ago. Through that workshop a group of KPrs interested in lace knitting and getting to know one another continued the workshop format, but known as the “Lace Party”. We take turns hosting a 2-week discussions wherein we share information on our lace knitting projects, as well as our daily goings-on. We do love to see photos, finished projects or WIP’s. If you have a question, just ask; someone is sure to answer. Every two weeks, on a pre-arranged schedule, someone hosts a new Lace Party. Sometimes we work on the same project, but we always share whatever we are working on – lace or not. We hope you will join us.

So today we start a new 2-week Lace Party which will be largely a continuation of our efforts toward finishing up our WIPs (works in process). We all bemoan the fact that we have too many projects partially complete – so we are going to try to finish one or two of those thus freeing up our needles for new challenges.

I myself have 2 major projects in process right now. About 3 weeks ago I started what was supposed to be a quick and easy afghan/throw made with some yarn I found on sale. I thought an afghan would be good to have on hand for that “gift you need in a hurry.” I’ve heard of a couple of marriages looming on the horizon. So, I started what should have been a simple Old Shale afghan, did 2 jumbo sized balls of yarn and decided that the afghan perfectly matches my sofa – so I changed my mind and decided keep the throw for myself. That being the case, I wanted it slightly larger and had to set the partially finished project aside while I went looking for another ball of yarn --- FOUND IT. So today I’m once again working on it while……

My second project – which started as an easy/peasy fill-in project using up stash yarn – has reached a major decision point. I’m doing a 9-block log cabin quilt-like afghan in garter stitch. I started generally following the pattern downloaded from Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/learn-to-knit-a-log-cabin-blanket). All 9 blocks are now completed (with a gillion ends to be woven in). If I were to follow the pattern the next step would be to add a frame around each block and SEW the blocks together.

Can’t do it – just can’t face sewing anything in yarn. If I wanted to sew I’d be working with fabric. So now I’m testing a couple of ways of joining the blocks without sewing – more on this later.

This morning, I took the following picture of the blocks layed out on my guest bed. After looking at the first pic, I didn’t like the balance of colors – so moved blocks around and tried again. Well, an hour later and after 6 or 7 block shufflings, I think the blocks are arranged as well as I can, keeping in mind that I plan on making frames around each block using the pale yellow that appears in the center of the block – so no edges will be touching like they do on the bed. It is really a great exercise to look at a photo rather than the actual blocks. Much easier to evaluate color and balance.

Would love to hear what others are working on – so please join in.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
That is really looking good, DeEtta. As for WIPs, I am currently making a lace scarf from the yarn I bought in Newfoundland. I am making slow progress, as I have become distracted and have taken a detour to have a go at drawing. Who knows why this has happened at this stage of my life, but it has. Some very amateurish efforts on my part, but I am enjoying, and, I think improving. I have not figured out really how to do shrubs, trees yet, but hope to learn to do so. My focus is more on just drawing the objects for now. There appear to be quite a few resources online for learning to draw, and I hope to avail myself of them. The house is the B&B where we stayed in Trinity. The boats were at one of the outports we visited.These are all based on photographs I have taken.

Sue
Belle1 said:
Greetings Lace Party-ers and guests. The Lace Party grew out of a lace workshop hosted by Dragonflylace (a/k/a DFL) several years ago. Through that workshop a group of KPrs interested in lace knitting and getting to know one another continued the workshop format, but known as the “Lace Party”. We take turns hosting a 2-week discussions wherein we share information on our lace knitting projects, as well as our daily goings-on. We do love to see photos, finished projects or WIP’s. If you have a question, just ask; someone is sure to answer. Every two weeks, on a pre-arranged schedule, someone hosts a new Lace Party. Sometimes we work on the same project, but we always share whatever we are working on – lace or not. We hope you will join us.

So today we start a new 2-week Lace Party which will be largely a continuation of our efforts toward finishing up our WIPs (works in process). We all bemoan the fact that we have too many projects partially complete – so we are going to try to finish one or two of those thus freeing up our needles for new challenges.

I myself have 2 major projects in process right now. About 3 weeks ago I started what was supposed to be a quick and easy afghan/throw made with some yarn I found on sale. I thought an afghan would be good to have on hand for that “gift you need in a hurry.” I’ve heard of a couple of marriages looming on the horizon. So, I started what should have been a simple Old Shale afghan, did 2 jumbo sized balls of yarn and decided that the afghan perfectly matches my sofa – so I changed my mind and decided keep the throw for myself. That being the case, I wanted it slightly larger and had to set the partially finished project aside while I went looking for another ball of yarn --- FOUND IT. So today I’m once again working on it while……

My second project – which started as an easy/peasy fill-in project using up stash yarn – has reached a major decision point. I’m doing a 9-block log cabin quilt-like afghan in garter stitch. I started generally following the pattern downloaded from Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/learn-to-knit-a-log-cabin-blanket). All 9 blocks are now completed (with a gillion ends to be woven in). If I were to follow the pattern the next step would be to add a frame around each block and SEW the blocks together.

Can’t do it – just can’t face sewing anything in yarn. If I wanted to sew I’d be working with fabric. So now I’m testing a couple of ways of joining the blocks without sewing – more on this later.

This morning, I took the following picture of the blocks layed out on my guest bed. After looking at the first pic, I didn’t like the balance of colors – so moved blocks around and tried again. Well, an hour later and after 6 or 7 block shufflings, I think the blocks are arranged as well as I can, keeping in mind that I plan on making frames around each block using the pale yellow that appears in the center of the block – so no edges will be touching like they do on the bed. It is really a great exercise to look at a photo rather than the actual blocks. Much easier to evaluate color and balance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
britgirl said:
That is really looking good, DeEtta. As for WIPs, I am currently making a lace scarf from the yarn I bought in Newfoundland. I am making slow progress, as I have become distracted and have taken a detour to have a go at drawing. Who knows why this has happened at this stage of my life, but it has. Some very amateurish efforts on my part, but I am enjoying, and, I think improving. I have not figured out really how to do shrubs, trees yet, but hope to learn to do so. My focus is more on just drawing the objects for now. There appear to be quite a few resources online for learning to draw, and I hope to avail myself of them. The house is the B&B where we stayed in Trinity. The boats were at one of the outports we visited.These are all based on photographs I have taken.

Sue
Actually, so far I'm pretty pleased with it considering I'm just using the colors I have on hand. Once I got it on the bed, it didn't take me long to think, 1 more row across the top and one more column plus the frames and border would make a good sized blanket. I wonder....... Then I did the mental equivalent of smack alongside the head and cut short that thought.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
britgirl said:

Sue
Sue -- love the drawings. I so admire those of you who have such talent. And that stole/scarf looks like light reflecting on water. Hope you continue working on your drawings -- can certainly see the influences of your summer travels in it. Thank you so much for sharing.

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
I'm on #13 & 14 of the Eloomanator 'original' dishcloth pattern. Only 18 of 4 different patterns are needed as a KP member has created 3 other variations.

I also have 2 shawls started (all y'all know 1 of them... I had it as an avatar). My physical therapist is expecting in 2 months... I hope that there is enough of the one yarn.

I only needed a measuring for new compression stockings... so a catch-&-release visit. :sm24: Busy last Tuesday... but worth it!

·
Registered
161,587 Posts
Belle1 said:

Your log cabin blocks look great. Someone else will have to advise you on placement! I always depend on DH when it comes to something like that! I make, he advises when needed!

I am current working on a scarf out of sock yarn, it is my go-to when I am going to be in the car or sitting and waiting somewhere. No pattern, straight knit in the round. Need to take a picture soon!

I am also working on a gansey/vest project. About ready to divide for fronts and backs, and no photos on that one yet either!

I also have a project going in lace. I am thinking it will be a pillow top because it is just going too slow, too small to be anything much larger unless I want to make it a doily. Even a table cloth would take ages. Need a photo of that one also! Better get the camera out!

·
Registered
161,587 Posts
britgirl said:

Sue
Sue, really great drawings! I cannot even draw a straight line using a ruler. Just ask DH!

Your lace scarf is lovely. Very feminine.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
run4fittness said:
Your log cabin blocks look great. Someone else will have to advise you on placement! I always depend on DH when it comes to something like that! I make, he advises when needed!

I am current working on a scarf out of sock yarn, it is my go-to when I am going to be in the car or sitting and waiting somewhere. No pattern, straight knit in the round. Need to take a picture soon!

I am also working on a gansey/vest project. About ready to divide for fronts and backs, and no photos on that one yet either!

I also have a project going in lace. I am thinking it will be a pillow top because it is just going too slow, too small to be anything much larger unless I want to make it a doily. Even a table cloth would take ages. Need a photo of that one also! Better get the camera out!
Yes, JanetLee -- get the camera out so we can see your goodies. Quite an array of knitting on your needles. I have trouble switching between various sizes of yarn; so admire your abilities.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kaixixang said:
I'm on #13 & 14 of the Eloomanator 'original' dishcloth pattern. Only 18 of 4 different patterns are needed as a KP member has created 3 other variations.

I also have 2 shawls started (all y'all know 1 of them... I had it as an avatar). My physical therapist is expecting in 2 months... I hope that there is enough of the one yarn.

I only needed a measuring for new compression stockings... so a catch-&-release visit. :sm24: Busy last Tuesday... but worth it!
Karen -- you are really making progress on your Eloomanator project. Looking forward to seeing more photos as you finish them up. Sounds like you are settling into your new home -- I certainly hope so. Moving is always such a challenge and exhausting.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hi, I'm here... Working on a blue Winter's Mirage for a class I'll teach later this fall and the new Estonian piece just need to block it . I also have Guernsey socks on the needles... One sock is on DPNs and one is on one long circular... My first magic loop.... Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the great start!!!!

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Working away on my WfR- had to tink back a bit today in the second lace insert, but I've got it sorted now. I love how the blues are melding together. Have started a third glove in the brown anny blatt yarn that I used for Ann's gloves- could not think what to do with the yarn otherwise. I will make it ambidextrous rather than right or left so it can replace either if one gets lost.
Thanks so much, DeEtta for hosting us, and to Barbara for the last two weeks.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Belle1 said:

I think this log cabin afghan looks great. I remember you had misgivings about the colors you had to work with and think you did a wonderful job working them up with good balance and contrast. Am really liking it. My only suggestion would be to rotate or switch the bottom center block which is the the only one that has matching colors with the adjacent block to the left (2 gray blocks together). Hope I am not opening a kettle of worms but that stood out to me. Of course you may ignore me, too.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
All my yarn has now arrived. It is mainly pima cotton and pima/silk. Began a couple of swatches for an idea for a tank top for me. My chimney/firewood guy came by the other day and proudly told me he still has the hat I gave him 3 yrs ago. That was an accomplishment for him to not have lost it. Told him I would try to make new ones for his other guys--3 of them. He loves the hat and showed it to me--it was a great hat. Need to find my notes for making it as the size and yarn was a winning combo. Am stuck on figuring out some children's things--have been there all summer it seems and cannot see my way out of that blockage. My vest idea is on hold till I see if I can get any more matching color yarn from WEBS. So most of my WIPs are all the ideas stuck in design mode.

·
Registered
55,128 Posts
Normaedern said:
DeEtta, your log cabin is lovely and thank you for starting us . Here is my wip. It is the shawl I started under your guidance. They has been a great deal of thinking time in it!
Just had to pop in and say your shawl is gorgeous Norma . As are all the other lace shawls I see posted here
Always take a look at what you are all making

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lurker 2 said:
Working away on my WfR- had to tink back a bit today in the second lace insert, but I've got it sorted now. I love how the blues are melding together. Have started a third glove in the brown anny blatt yarn that I used for Ann's gloves- could not think what to do with the yarn otherwise. I will make it ambidextrous rather than right or left so it can replace either if one gets lost.
Thanks so much, DeEtta for hosting us, and to Barbara for the last two weeks.
What a great idea for left over yarns. It is so easy to loose a single glove. Nice to have a backup. Looking forward to seeing pics....

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Belle1 said:

Thanks for the new start DeEtta. Glad you got your new ball of yarn so you can continue your afghan. Your blocks have turned out lovely and I will be interested to hear what you come up with for attaching them without sewing.

I am making progress on my 2nd mitt and my First Gift Shawl and I suppose I will be fitting in the September addition to the 2016 Year of Lace scarf. Will get some progress pictures soon.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Good morning and thank you for the start DeEtta and many thanks again to everyone for your kind comments about Hawaii bit was fun!

Norma, your shawl is looking very good. Love the soft color.

And Sue, you appear to have a talent for drawing. I can only draw with yarn. LOL. Actually I am trying my hand at tapestry. Not so easy an endeavor. And love the colors in your scarf.

DeEtta, your log cabin looks great. You have really made progress.

I have 3 projects in the car with me. Two were on the last trip to Hilton Head SC and I intentionally haven't worked on them to do in the car and the other is a scarf.

1 - 20 of 1108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom