Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very limited in my crocheting skills. Basically only made square and rectangular things.

I'd like to try making a shawl/wrap that covers most of the arms without being too long in the back. Everything I've seen that goes around the arms isn't held on at the shoulders but held in place by bending your arms in front of you. If that makes sense. It must be very easy.

thanks

·
Premium Member
81,284 Posts
I'm very limited in my crocheting skills. Basically only made square and rectangular things.

I'd like to try making a shawl/wrap that covers most of the arms without being too long in the back. Everything I've seen that goes around the arms isn't held on at the shoulders but held in place by bending your arms in front of you. If that makes sense. It must be very easy.

thanks
It doesn’t get much simpler than the Wheelchair Wrap.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You might like Grandmother’s Shawl by Deborah Claus:

I have not tried the pattern personally but it was designed to recreate a shawl that my grandmother, and later my mother, wore.

·
Premium Member
81,284 Posts
You might like Grandmother’s Shawl by Deborah Claus:

I have not tried the pattern personally but it was designed to recreate a shawl that my grandmother, and later my mother, wore.
I don’t need another shawl.
I just finished: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Fireplace Shawl and have plenty of the orange/burgundy/white yarn left.
Thank you for this pattern. I feel another shawl a-coming! 😈

·
Premium Member
81,284 Posts
Doris Chan wrote the All Shawl pattern which is lovely and easy and stays on the shoulders. I am surprised more people on KP don't use this pattern.
It’s been on my to-do list since before there was a Ravelry. I don’t know why I haven’t yet made it. 🫤

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
How about a shrug?

There are a lot of patterns for crochet shrugs.
you can also make shrugs by measuring the distance
between your wrists.
Just keep crocheting back and forth, until you have it wide enough.

Sew up from the wrist to shoulder on either side.
Add cuffs, if you like.

I have made several wheelchair wraps and they are easy to make.
You can just keep going with the pattern to make them as large as you want.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don’t need another shawl.
I just finished: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Fireplace Shawl and have plenty of the orange/burgundy/white yarn left.
Thank you for this pattern. I feel another shawl a-coming! 😈
This looks like a simple rectangle. Yes?
Can the pattern be adapted to crochet? I like that it is so long down the arms. That's where I get cold.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about a shrug?

There are a lot of patterns for crochet shrugs.
you can also make shrugs by measuring the distance
between your wrists.
Just keep crocheting back and forth, until you have it wide enough.

Sew up from the wrist to shoulder on either side.
Add cuffs, if you like.

I have made several wheelchair wraps and they are easy to make.
You can just keep going with the pattern to make them as large as you want.
I made a simple shrug but it kept slipping off my shoulders and wouldn't stay closed in the front.

·
Premium Member
81,284 Posts
This looks like a simple rectangle. Yes?
Can the pattern be adapted to crochet? I like that it is so long down the arms. That's where I get cold.
Think of it as a rectangle with two corners lopped off.
This is the schematic given with the pattern. I found it somewhat useless, because it only gives the measurements for a rectangle.
Rectangle Parallel Font Transparency Slope

Because I’m bigger than most women (6’, 220 lbs.), I used more stitches from the start. I increased to wider than called for, and I kept going far longer too.

It’s up to the maker how to adjust the making. Knit, crochet, sewn, Tunisian crochet - Maker’s Choice!!
Measure body. Maybe cut up an old sheet to the size you need, and use it as your template?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think of it as a rectangle with two corners lopped off.
This is the schematic given with the pattern. I found it somewhat useless, because it only gives the measurements for a rectangle.
View attachment 1233740
Because I’m bigger than most women (6’, 220 lbs.), I used more stitches from the start. I increased to wider than called for, and I kept going far longer too.

It’s up to the maker how to adjust the making. Knit, crochet, sewn, Tunisian crochet - Maker’s Choice!!
Measure body. Maybe cut up an old sheet to the size you need, and use it as your template?
I think I can do this!!! Thanks a bunch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top Bottom