Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that yarn bombing is becoming increasingly more popular, and admittedly I think it seems fun. But I just saw a picture of a group covering a bridge, and another of a train. My thinking is that, while this is fun, brings people together, and brings awareness to fiber arts, wouldn't it be better to use the yarn and energy creating things for the needy? Maybe the yarn is reused so it's not wasted. I hope so, that it's not just thrown away after. It's an awful lot fiber...

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
The bridge was the Andy Warhol bridge, and the blankets used are to be washed and given to the homeless and needy after the display is over in September.

I believe most large displays have the same missions. It does bring attention to the need for blankets.

"The Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh is using machine-knitted blankets to cover the bridge's towering superstructure, while individual blankets knitted by more than 1,200 volunteers will cover the bridge's walkways.

The group plans to leave the blankets in place for several weeks, then wash them so they can go to homeless shelters, nursing homes and animal shelters."

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/group-wants-to-cover-andy-warhol-bridge-with-knitting/-/10927008/20539456/-/qxyotw/-/index.html#ixzz2cMOYma00

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The bridge yarn bombing that was mentioned here recently asked for pieces in specific sizes and materials because the pieces would become blankets for the homeless afterward - they were very clear that pieces would not be returned, for that reason. My guess is that a lot of yarn bombing projects are started to collect those items for the needy (and to publicize the need) rather than just for fun.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I really don't know why folks worry about the amount of fiber being used for yarn bombing.
Some feel it is wasteful.
Some feel the time used to knit it is wasteful.
I just think of all the unused yarn in Stashes that goes unused...is passed to family members who do do not want it.
As well, if knitting gives the person joy. More power to them.
I have about 12 shawls made of high quality fiber hanging all over my house and have just started making them and giving them away.
I enjoy making them and I wear them but a person can only have so many.
If you think about it a person does not need 80% of house furnshings if you just get to basics.
You can only use one couch, one TV at any time.
Also about wasting time, I just wasted a bunch writing this Post!!!
Our American Life is full of wasted items and services.
At least Yarn Bombing is colorful, and imaginative.
Robin

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I do love the yarn bombing... I think the look is great.. it started off as a prank that has grown over the years.. I am sure that lots of 'Yarn Bombers' are thinking the same as you are... and are recycling the finshed squares into other things and giving them to charity... it is something that is still evolving... I remember several years ago on the show Knitty Gritty with Vicky Howel that she showed Yarn Bombing... so keep your eyes open I am sure there will be lots of good coming from this.. after all they are all knitter/crocheters are they?? LOL :)

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
In most cases, the yarn is repurposed after the bombing into blankets for the needy or for pet shelters.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I understand that the larger-scale projects are usually taken down, washed, and either donated as is (i.e. the afghans) or reworked into something for charity.
I don't know what happens to the smaller-scale ones...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
ART, any creative endeavor, is the voice of society...it is the risk and reason of existence...
I could go on and on about the necessity for art... as in: science is also art as it is the product of imagination. Right now schools are replacing art programs to save money for science, or "the necessary subjects." Is that good conservation of time and resources? No, art and science MUST promote each other.
Is yarn bombing necessary? Is creativity necessary? YES!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
ART, any creative endeavor, is the voice of society...it is the risk and reason of existence...
I could go on and on about the necessity for art... as in: science is also art as it is the product of imagination. Right now schools are replacing art programs to save money for science, or "the necessary subjects." Is that good conservation of time and resources? No, art and science MUST promote each other.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
g-mom said:
I'm a science teacher with creative impulses... I like teaching at the college level since I get to indulge in my creative impulses while teaching. :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I participated in the Yarn Bombing Los Angeles where they covered the front of the Arts and Crafts Museum with granny squares. The extra squares received are being sewn into blankets for people on Skid Row, and the entire project will be repurposed the same way.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad for the info and insight on yarn bombing. I figured, and hoped, that the yarn would be reused and I'm glad to hear that it is.

In response to above posts: I'm a nurse with a major creative streak and agree that art is as necessary as science. For example, medicine is an ART based on SCIENCE. And art and music were my favorite classes in school too!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here in Oregon we bombed the Burnside bridge in Portland to celebrate its 100th year. Cascade yarns donated the superwash 220 in 6 colors. Over 400 knitters created the squares & in another week or so it will all come down to become blankets for the homeless. We did a lot of the knitting in public places and got great community support & awareness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom